+ Reply to Thread
Page 317 of 957 FirstFirst ... 217 267 307 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 327 367 417 817 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,925 of 23902

Re: President Donald Trump

Recusing himself... still think he's full of ................
    CONTRACTS and only CONTRACTS determine how much GMs value players

SJW and proud

And Sessions just recused himself from any review relating to the election and Russia.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    Watching..............Denying anything inappropriate on his part.
    He's really all over the place
    Recused himself. Staff told him to recuse
    And that will be the end of that.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Oh for Christ sakes. He went to Russia in 1991 with a church group
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Using Reagan's "don't recall" schtick
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

He's not a very good actor

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I wasn't aware the RNC was in late September in Sessions office. Wow I was really out of the loop.
    One of the two instances was at the RNC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara
    It is almost always the cover-up rather than the event that causes trouble.”
    Indeed. And in this case, there doesn't appear to have been an "event" to cover up. Yet, he did, anyway. Not at all smart.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Indeed. And in this case, there doesn't appear to have been an "event" to cover up. Yet, he did, anyway. Not at all smart.
    But he is smart, and it makes me wonder why he elected not to be truthful about it at the time. I don't buy his excuse that it caught him off-guard at the hearing either. He can't "gee golly" out of this when the Russian interference was dominating the news cycle at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_of_interest

I don't see it as something ethically motivated. Ethically (and perhaps factually) Sessions could believe he can act completely impartial. There were no shady dealings with the Russians. However, that doesn't mean there isn't an appearance of a conflict of interest. Therefore, I don't think Sessions has a ethic responsibility to recuse himself, however i do see a professional one.
    Ethics are a professional standard, not just a legall one. The fact that you carve out a possible exception and get a Wikipedia definition that suits you doesn't make it a "stretch" to call recusal an ethical responsibility.

Sessions recuses himself.

Is this done, or is there more to come?
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Agreed. Just as there were dozens who thought the truth was unimportant prior to Election Day, but are Truth Police now.

I tend to avoid yelling into the echo chamber, but just to be clear, I am deeply disturbed by most of Trump's cabinet appointments, even more disturbed at continued discussion about building a stupid wall, and incredibly disappointed in the entire Republican Party for being unprepared to address the Affordable Care Act.

At the same time, I fully disapprove of the Democratic Party rejecting each and every Trump appointment, and their behavior during the POTUS address to Congress. They're doing everything they complained about when the GOP did them.

I wish our elected officials represented We, the People, rather than their parties. I'm all for term limits. We need to throw the current crop of partisan hacks out. All of them.
    And replace them with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post

More, M

Well, he recused himself from participation in any sort of inquiry or investigation. One would suspect that "more to come" would indicate that there will BE an inquiry or investigation. But, I wouldn't bet the house that any such investigation will come up with anything actionable.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Done, I think, despite the cries for his head that will follow.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Again most of us acknowledged Hillary had her issues. Those of us who did said Trump simply had way more. Not too deep into Trumps Presidency, looks like we were right.

Yes, good on you for this.

At least 7 of Trump's appointments got more than 60 votes in the Senate and several got between 80 and 100 so that's a pretty huge leap you are making. They rightly objected to and voted against most of Trumps worst nominees. Too bad there weren't any Republicans with the balls to step across the isle and join them.

Term limits would only work if it was Constitutional Amendment. Individual States adopting it would be just hamstringing themselves.

Also over all I don't think term limits are a great idea as it increases turnover in a position where I'm guessing there is a somewhat steep learning curve.
    Term limits just prevent me from voting for the best person. If you're going to do something that requires a constitutional amendment, go for a national, nonpartisan redistricting commission. Get rid of the gerrymandering, not the good people.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Ethics are a professional standard, not just a legal one. The fact that you carve out a possible exception and get a Wikipedia definition that suits you doesn't make it a "stretch" to call recusal an ethical responsibility.
    No stretch. It's not a Wikipedia definition, it's a definition from the Institute of Internal Auditors. Whatevs.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    No stretch. It's not a Wikipedia definition, it's a definition from the Institute of Internal Auditors. Whatevs.
    I wasn't the one who said anything was a stretch.

Ut ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wonder Boy Son In Law................

Kushner and Flynn Met With Russian Envoy in December, White House Says

Source: New York Times

WASHINGTON — Michael T. Flynn, then Donald J. Trump’s incoming national security adviser, had a previously undisclosed meeting with the Russian ambassador in December to “establish a line of communication” between the new administration and the Russian government, the White House said on Thursday.

Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and now a senior adviser, also participated in the meeting at Trump Tower with Mr. Flynn and Sergey I. Kislyak, the Russian ambassador. But among Mr. Trump’s inner circle, it is Mr. Flynn who appears to have been the main interlocutor with the Russian envoy — the two were in contact during the campaign and the transition, Mr. Kislyak and current and former American officials have said.

But the extent and frequency of their contacts remains unclear, and the disclosure of the meeting at Trump Tower adds to the emerging picture of how the relationship between Mr. Trump’s incoming team and Moscow was evolving to include some of the president-elect’s most trusted advisers.

The White House has repeatedly sought to play down any connections with Mr. Kislyak. Attorney General Jeff Sessions acknowledged this week that he had met twice with him during the campaign, despite previous denials.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/u...ns-russia.html

And replace them with whom?
    My goodness, the possibilities are endless. There are countless people, not involved actively with politics, who could represent their communities in the Congress. If you really, really want someone with some political background, how about state legislators, local mayors, county commissioners, and the like?

Anything would be better than professional legislators whose loyalty is to party above their constituency.

- President Barack Obama

Term limits just prevent me from voting for the best person. If you're going to do something that requires a constitutional amendment, go for a national, nonpartisan redistricting commission. Get rid of the gerrymandering, not the good people.
    Unfortunately, our elected representatives tend to be partisan party apparatchiks, rather than "good people." How many members of the current Congress will be remembered years later as genuine statesmen?

- President Barack Obama

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The Democrats need to go for blood via TV ads.
    Inundate the networks by all means! I hope they do. It will make commercial breaks more entertaining.
    Happy 2017!

NYYF Legend

Unfortunately, our elected representatives tend to be partisan party apparatchiks, rather than "good people." How many members of the current Congress will be remembered years later as genuine statesmen?
    It's because it's too lucrative to stay in office. Take that away from them and they will care less about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...tion/98648190/

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is not the only member of President Trump’s campaign who spoke to Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at a diplomacy conference connected to the Republican National Convention in July. At least two more members of the Trump campaign’s national security officials also spoke with Kislyak at the event, and several more Trump national security advisers were in attendance....

Seriously, who here believes that Sessions will be forced to resign over this?

BRenninger was on record last night saying this...anyone else? Not should resign, but will.

PS: One reason I come here to ask these questions: There's an idiot in my office dancing around the water cooler thinking that this is the first of many dominoes that will fall. The end result will be putting Hillary in the White House, retroactively.
    I think there would probably need to be more information to force Sessions out.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Who the hell in 45*'s squad didn't schmooze with the Russian spy.

Exclusive: Two other Trump advisers also spoke with Russian envoy during GOP convention

Source: USA Today

Steve Reilly , USA TODAY 5:00 p.m. ET March 2, 2017

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is not the only member of President Trump’s campaign who spoke to Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at a diplomacy conference connected to the Republican National Convention in July. At least two more members of the Trump campaign’s national security officials also spoke with Kislyak at the event, and several more Trump national security advisers were in attendance.

It's unknown what the Trump campaign officials who spoke with the ambassador – J.D. Gordon and Carter Page – discussed with him. Those who took part in the events in Cleveland said it is not unusual for presidential campaign teams to interact with diplomats.

However, the newly-revealed communications further contradict months of repeated denials by Trump officials that his campaign had contact with officials representing the Russian government.

The Justice Department’s acknowledgement Wednesday that Sessions spoke with Kislyak twice in 2016 has led to calls for him to recuse himself from investigations into the Trump team’s contact with Russia. By Thursday afternoon, Sessions said he would recuse himself.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...tion/98648190/

Thread Information