+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 645 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 502 ... LastLast

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Our government has checks and balances designed specifically against any one person doing catastrophic damage. Trump can't unilaterally launch nukes. And the rest of his dumb ideas aren't feasible i.e. building the wall, changing libel laws, etc. He's not the CEO of a company, he can't change laws by issuing a memo.
    There is a lot of damage he can do just within the executive branch. Also, at this point he has a Congress that's apparently willing to go along with just about any damn fool thing he wants to do.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Our government has checks and balances designed specifically against any one person doing catastrophic damage. Trump can't unilaterally launch nukes. And the rest of his dumb ideas aren't feasible i.e. building the wall, changing libel laws, etc. He's not the CEO of a company, he can't change laws by issuing a memo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    I don't believe that's true, but I also don't really believe he would launch a nuke. Probably.

And checks and balances are meaningless unless they're enforced. The constitution is a worthless piece of paper if no one cares.
    I was literally quoting you. God damn this is good. Thanks. Goes perfectly with my coffee.

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...95#post8148095

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Why's Cardinal Dolan there instead of the Cardinal Archbishop of Washington D.C.?
    And where is The Young Pope?
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    There is a lot of damage he can do just within the executive branch. Also, at this point he has a Congress that's apparently willing to go along with just about any damn fool thing he wants to do.
    I will admit that I used to be much more confident in our system of checks and balances than I am now. This election has taught me a lot.

I was literally quoting you. God damn this is good. Thanks. Goes perfectly with my coffee.

i'd leave him alone today. his head is probably spinning right now.

NYYF Legend

It's great you can laugh today. I admire that.

he can't change laws by issuing a memo.
    Increasingly, the POTUS usurps Congressional Power via Executive Order. Obama did it a lot. This is troubling, regardless of who is holding the pen.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    It's great you can laugh today. I admire that.
    i'm going to be laughing and smiling all day.. it's a great day for this country..

Yes..I was wrong. I'm comfortable with that. A great many folks that didn't perceive Trump as any big deal have changed their minds.

Where's the gotcha, exactly?

NYYF Legend

Darkness has descended on America.

Yes..I was wrong. I'm comfortable with that. A great many folks that didn't perceive Trump as any big deal have changed their minds.

Where's the gotcha, exactly?
    The part where you just had an argument with yourself. Yes, yes, evolving and all that....

No doubt about your first sentence. The second is yet to be proven. Even Republican Senators want to be re-elected, and the margin is narrow enough that I doubt the Republican lockstep unity will endure the higher spasms of idiocy DT may produce. Let me hope.

The House may be a lost cause, at least until midterms.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

I laughed.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

The part where you just had an argument with yourself. Yes, yes, evolving and all that....
    I'll never understand this line of thought. Who doesn't want to learn and grow and why is that considered an insult here?

You waited this long and simply chose the coattails of a bad False1 gotcha? lol?

It's not surprising you had coffee in your mouth when you came up with that one.

It's good to see this brand-new thread is keeping up the standards set in the old one.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

You waited this long and simply chose the coattails of a bad False1 gotcha? lol?

It's not surprising you had coffee in your mouth when you came up with that one.
    Zing.

NYYF Legend

John Pavlovitz, Let the Record Show

Let the record show that I did not consent to this.
    Let it show that I did not vote for this man, that he did not represent me,....that I did not believe he was deserving of being here, that I grieved his ascension.
    Let History record my objection to him, to the ways he humiliated women and vilified....Muslims and threatened protestors and disregarded people of color.
    Let it....record my repulsion at his tremendous cruelty, his lack of compassion, his contempt for dissension, his absence of simple decency.
    Let witnesses....mark down my disgust at....the way he boasted of infidelity, at how he ridiculed a disabled reporter, at the way he attacked female opponents for their appearance, at the way he....marginalized....immigrants.
    Let it be remembered....that I did not look the other way when women accused him of assault, when the reality of his Russian alliances came to light, when he refused to share his tax records—though....large portions of the American media and its....people chose....to. ....

Let it be remembered that I did not buy into the fear that he perpetuated of those with brown skin or hijabs or foreign birthplaces.....
    Let....the record show that I looked on with disbelief as he spent countless....early morning and middle-of-the-night hours....following the election on social media, broadcasting a steady stream of petulant, insecure, incoherent messages instead of preparing to do a job he was....ill-equipped....for....and seemingly not all that interested in.
    Let the record show that I watched him assemble a Cabinet of billionaires and bigots, of people woefully unqualified to steward our children, our safety, our healthcare, our financial stability—and that I was horrified by it all.
    Let it be remembered that my faith would not allow me to fall in line behind this man while so many professed religious people did; that I saw nothing resembling Jesus in him, and that to declare him Christian would have been to toss....aside....everything I grew up....believing faith in Christ manifested in a life. ....
    Let History record my grieving at the racism and bigotry and homophobia that characterized his campaign, marked his supporters, and is evident in his assembling....Administration.
    Let it be known that I was one of the more than 65 million people who voted for Hillary Clinton; who understood that though not perfect, she was an intelligent, experienced, passionate public servant with the temperament, commitment, and qualifications to lead and lead well.....

Let the record show that I greatly lamented the day of his inauguration, and that I promised to join together with other good people to loudly resist and oppose every unscrupulous,....dangerous, unjust and....dishonest act this new Administration engages in.....
    History has been littered with horrible people who did terrible things with power, because too many good people remained silent. And since my fear is that we are....surely....entering one of those periods in our story, I wanted to make sure that I was recorded for posterity:
    I do not believe this man’s actions are....normal.
I do not believe he is emotionally stable.
    I do not believe he cares about the full, beautiful diversity of America.
I do not believe he respects women.
I do not believe he is pro-life other....than....his own.
I do not believe the sick and the poor and the hurting....matter to him in the slightest.
    I do not believe he is a man of faith....or integrity or nobility.
    I do not believe his concern is for anything outside his reflection in the mirror.
    I believe he is a danger to our children.
    I believe he is a threat to our safety.
    I believe he is careless....with our people.
I believe he is reckless with his power.
I believe America will be less secure, less....diverse, less compassionate, and less decent under his leadership.

And if I prove to be....wrong, it will be one of the most joyful errors of my life. I will own these words and if necessary, willingly and....gladly admit my misjudgment because it will mean that America is a better and stronger nation, and the world a more peaceful place.
    But right now I don’t see that happening.....
    Right now I am worried....for my country, concerned for our planet, scared for the future of my children, and greatly saddened that 62 million Americans....seem okay with all of this.
    Let....the record show that I was not okay with it.

Not at all.

It's good to see this brand-new thread is keeping up the standards set in the old one.
    only the name changed
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I'll never understand this line of thought. Who doesn't want to learn and grow and why is that considered an insult here?
    Sure. As long as it's that and not someone shifting their beliefs because they are now on the other side of the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    It goes back to our general disdain of politicians. A politician will change their publicly-stated viewpoints based on polling data or the audience they're speaking to, and opponents will immediately scream "he's flip flopping." The rejoinder has become "his opinion is....evolving."

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Sure. As long as it's that and not someone shifting their beliefs because they are now on the other side of the fence.
    Why is that bad? Seriously. I don't get it. The fence has changed. Neither the GOP or the Dems are what they used to be.

NYYF Legend

Dude, he made you look like a moron. IT'S OK.

It Is Done
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information