+ Reply to Thread
Page 287 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 187 237 277 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 297 337 387 787 1287 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,175 of 35438
    Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Re: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    How does one rinse out the brainwashing though?
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Nice is different than good. Texsahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
    the aca was a disaster from the beginning. we need a single payer system.. the donald doesn't seem to be going in that direction.
    Ha. You missed my edit.

did they confirm that it was 2 hours?
    I haven't seen anything from the airport, but if anyone's pointing a heavy finger at them be assured they'll make a fast denial. Nothing but silence so far.
    Let the kids play.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I heard on some newscast that the mandate is eliminated. Can you verify that?
    If you're referring to the fact that individuals who file tax returns must claim they are insured, yes, that has been eliminated.
    There is no fine or 'tax' if one does not have a govt approved health insurance policy.
    If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything

You wouldn't have to fight to keep it. By now we'd all be used to the taxes coming out of our paychecks, and also used to no premiums, no billing, and no loss of coverage when we change or lose jobs. It wouldn't be perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but once we get there we'll never go back. It's just a matter of time.
    well said
    kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    If you're referring to the fact that individuals who file tax returns must claim they are insured, yes, that has been eliminated.
    There is no fine or 'tax' if one does not have a govt approved health insurance policy.
    Do you know if that's effective for the 2016 tax season, or prospective? Either way, it hastens the death spiral of the ACA. I'd like to see it fixed quickly, otherwise there's a chance it could get stuck in congress if it's not done inside of 2 years.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    So your goal is to troll the board.

Heh.
    my goal is to to have everyone learn and be entertained.. my, everyone is on fire!!!
    kyle

Devoted Member

Do you know if that's effective for the 2016 tax season, or prospective? Either way, it hastens the death spiral of the ACA. I'd like to see it fixed quickly, otherwise there's a chance it could get stuck in congress if it's not done inside of 2 years.
    It's effective immediately. The tax agency has stopped requiring individual filers to indicate whether they maintained health coverage or paid the mandate penalty as required under the law.

It was an EO signed by Trump.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    What mandate? Healthcare for everyone, prior conditions, or staying on parental policies until 26?
    They got rid of the mandate that everyone is required to have continual health insurance coverage or pay a tax penalty. Instead, they made it so that if your insurance lapses at any point, once you re-register for insurance, you have to pay a 30% increase in premiums for one year to the insurance companies.

Part of how they would pay for some of the new preexisting conditions coverage is by limiting tax breaks on the generous health plans people get from work.

NYYF Cy Young

Probably the best way for the GOP to "fix Obamacare" (in an actually beneficial way that they can take credit for) is to extend age-based tax credits to people over 400% of the Federal Poverty Level. Keep tax credits for people below 400% FPL based on income.

Tax credits are currently only available for people below 400% FPL and the amount of tax credit is based on income. Republican alternatives generally involve removing any income-based subsidy and instead want to make tax credits available based solely on age. This is an obvious clawback of subsidies from the poor (whose subsidies would decrease) and a boon to the more well-off (although not necessarily rich, since 400% FPL is only about $47,000/year for a single person). There also exists a real-world problem with the current ACA wherein a person near the 400% FPL cutoff may end up paying back thousands of dollars in tax credits to the IRS if their income goes up by even a few dollars over the line.

Allowing tax credits for people over 400% FPL based on age only would
    1) fix a real-world ACA problem
    2) use an actual policy that has been offered up before by the GOP, which will let them take credit for "fixing" the ACA
    3) not affect people that currently benefit from ACA tax credits
    4) greatly expand (and likely strengthen) the risk pool, lowering premiums for everyone
    5) greatly reduce tax credit repayments for people just over 400% FPL.

It also would not involve creating any additional subsidies (spending) that hasn't already been presented as a GOP alternative, because those people would have been eligible for age-based tax credits in almost every incarnation of a GOP ACA alternative.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/t...ates.html?_r=0

The impact was immediate: Following President Trump’s Jan. 27 executive order banning people from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States, the demand for travel to the United States took a nosedive, according to data from several travel companies and research firms.
    The short-term weaker demand for travel to the United States aside, the bigger concern for travel analysts is the ban’s potential to damage the country’s lucrative tourism industry in the coming years. Statistics from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, part of the United States Department of Commerce, show that tourism-related spending in the United States was $1.56 trillion in 2015; tourism created 7.6 million jobs in the United States that same year.

According to Adam Sacks, the president of Tourism Economics, part of the economic research firm Oxford Economics, President Trump’s executive order is part of a broader policy platform and “America first” rhetoric that is creating international antipathy toward the United States and already affecting traveler behavior.

Earlier this month, his group conducted a study of travel to Los Angeles County and found that the county could suffer a potential three-year loss of 800,000 international visitors as a direct result of the ban, the equivalent of $736 million in tourism spending.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    They got rid of the mandate that everyone is required to have continual health insurance coverage or pay a tax penalty. Instead, they made it so that if your insurance lapses at any point, once you re-register for insurance, you have to pay a 30% increase in premiums for one year to the insurance companies.

Part of how they would pay for some of the new preexisting conditions coverage is by limiting tax breaks on the generous health plans people get from work.
    I missed this completely. So if your insurance lapses, and you were paying say $2,000 a year, you'll have to pay $2,600 during your first year back? For those who want to gamble, that's a no brainer. $600 is a bedpan and a couple of aspirin.
    Let the kids play.

I missed this completely. So if your insurance lapses, and you were paying say $2,000 a year, you'll have to pay $2,600 during your first year back? For those who want to gamble, that's a no brainer. $600 is a bedpan and a couple of aspirin.
    I think that's part of the proposed plan and not something that is already in effect. Not sure though.

edit: Yes, part of the proposed plan. http://www.businessinsider.com/house...l-draft-2017-2

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Arizona state senate is complicit in promoting Trump's dictatorship.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...eering-9109154

Obviously I'm not in favor of violent protests, but by making it so the government can seize your property because of what people outside of your control do at a demonstration is scary. Where's all the "big brother" outrage from the GOP here? Oh yeah, the demonstrations are against their guy so they don't care.

Silence dissenters by any means. Seems to be right in line with what Furher Trump wants.

This is the single biggest law that I cannot understand as being constitutional. I'm not just referring the application of a violent protest. Forfeiture has been used many times against people charged with a crime- before any convictions. And supposedly, the local police department can keep or sell the items, which is sometimes an incentive.

When I used to think of a swing in SCOTUS to a more liberal court, this was the first law I would have hoped they changed. That ship sailed.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post

I read this yesterday. It would never be found constitutional, but the fact that it PASSED the state senate is highly disconcerting.
    Yeah, I now see your point. You can stay in Arizona and be just as politically frustrated as if you were to move to Utah.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

I saw some article with a Republican Congressman (Arkansas or maybe Alabama I can't recall) who said he didn't think there are enough votes in the House to repeal the ACA (which he wants to happen) because of the recent protests at Town Hall meetings mostly over the ACA. His belief is many are worried about re-election and will not vote for repeal. He thinks what most likely will happen is there will be amendments to make changes to it but the ACA will not be repealed in its entirety.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post

When I said "they're all corrupt", it's your own bias that refuses to register the answer as acceptable.

Ask it again.
    My bias? Bias towards what? I'm not disagreeing with your comment in general, but that wasn't the question. Read the question again.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

What mandate? Healthcare for everyone, prior conditions, or staying on parental policies until 26?
    Mandate that everyone has to buy insurance. Kind of the foundation of the entire law.

I don't get it. Every thing I read about the mandate says that without it the bottom falls out of the revenue requirement. It also means that those who elect out will fall back on the emergency rooms for their "primary care" and those who can't afford to pay for the catastrophic injuries and diseases will be treated for free by the rest of us through our various tax payments, all of which is contrary to the republican way of thinking. I can see the congressional budget office calculating how millions will lose coverage and federal revenues will decrease, which will then be reported as fake news and the appropriate heads of those number crunchers reassigned.
    It is. Having the mandate is what keeps the whole thing afloat. You have to have healthy people paying in to offset the costs of the super sick people. This is a good explanation.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...isting-cartoon

Not true. For 2016 people have to provide documentation of health care coverage either through work or bought in the marketplace. If they don't have 12 months of coverage there is a penalty (tax, according to John Roberts) that shows up on their tax return.

Oh because KLJ likes feisty.... I saw this image for the first time this morning which speaks volumes about our now President and our former President.

of course I remember this happening but I hadn't seen this particular photo shot from that angle before today
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I saw some article with a Republican Congressman (Arkansas or maybe Alabama I can't recall) who said he didn't think there are enough votes in the House to repeal the ACA (which he wants to happen) because of the recent protests at Town Hall meetings mostly over the ACA. His belief is many are worried about re-election and will not vote for repeal. He thinks what most likely will happen is there will be amendments to make changes to it but the ACA will not be repealed in its entirety.
    All of which could have happened at the onset, but they chose to filibuster instead.

MRW I hear my boss boast about being on the Trump train and how "anything is better than Obama. He didn't care at all."

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

Not true. For 2016 people have to provide documentation of health care coverage either through work or bought in the marketplace. If they don't have 12 months of coverage there is a penalty (tax, according to John Roberts) that shows up on their tax return.
    This is what I'm referring to:

http://reason.com/blog/2017/02/14/ir...vidual-mandate

Although the new policy leaves Obamacare's individual mandate on the books, it may make it easier for individuals to go without coverage while avoiding the penalty. Essentially, if not explicitly, it is a weakening of the mandate enforcement mechanism.

"It's hard to enforce something without information," says Ryan Ellis, a Senior Fellow at the Conservative Reform Network.
    So basically he signed an EO that makes it easier to avoid paying what you should in taxes, and gives incentive to lie on your return. If you don't have adequate coverage why would you ever tell them that if they're not going to check? So once again the people doing the right thing get penalized. Story of Trump's life.

Probably the most honest thing he's done because that's what he knows the most about.

i don't believe that story to be true.. plain and simple..

me thinks there is some exaggeration to the max going on..
    Seriously? That's the best you've got? It doesn't fit with what you want to be true, so you just don't believe it? You may say that you don't support Trump, but you've completely bought his approach to "truth," which is that reality is about what you feel, not what actually is.

This is a story that's been reported by basically every news source, including Fox, and denied by nobody. But you don't believe it to be true, so that's that.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

i don't believe that story to be true.. plain and simple..

me thinks there is some exaggeration to the max going on..
    I understand your point. Why pick on an American citizen, who is the son of a very famous American icon and is telling you that?

However, this is what the USA Today reported and it's getting picked up all over the place. Other American Muslim citizens will come forward with their stories, so we'll see if this is a pattern.

If it's true, then the agent (and maybe his boss) should be canned and there should be demonstrations. As the family lawyer said, if it's not just a rogue agent, then a lawsuit will and should be filed.

If you're an American citizen returning from a foreign country, you have to be let in. It's the law. I've had friends that lost their passport and ID when partying in Mexico and they were always allowed back, after verifying who they were.

On a side note, Trump is a big boxing fan and is likely a big Ali fan, too.

05trumpali-master768.jpg

Thread Information