+ Reply to Thread
Page 1284 of 1609 FirstFirst ... 284 784 1184 1234 1274 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1294 1334 1384 ... LastLast
Results 32,076 to 32,100 of 40225
    Hope is eternal

Re: President Donald Trump

And even if it wasnít relevant it is no more relevant than posters going after anyone criticizing a Trump with ďbut HillaryĒ ok to point out that hypocrisy but they donít like it the opposite way
    Trading insults is a waste of time. Persuade why someone should see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    What have I compared it to?

And you can think it's being blown out of proportion but there is a pattern. His disdain for the law matters.
    I don't think you compared it to anything.

I was talking about those who compare it to those who in the past said Obama and/or Hillary were going to take their guns.

You see why that is not the same thing, right?

Hope is eternal

I am as much in favor of doing something but no one has said at any cost or such. Bad enough freedom of the press is under assault if we keep chipping away at our rights what is our country worth? I donít care if the action would erase all guns from every bad person it has to be done legally and according to our constitution. The second amendment was created in a time when we just broke free from a country that did oppress us. It has also been misinterpreted in so many ways. But one thing is very clear. EVERY US citizen is entitled to
    Due process. Even in situations we wish it didnít

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't think you compared it to anything.

I was talking about those who compare it to those who in the past said Obama and/or Hillary were going to take their guns.

You see why that is not the same thing, right?
    Well, since neither ever said any such thing, I'd say that was the GOP and the NRA's political posturing and lies that some are too ignorant to recognize. The President saying ignore due process and take away people's guns is a much bigger deal. So yeah, apples and oranges.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. ~Arundhati Roy

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I am as much in favor of doing something but no one has said at any cost or such. Bad enough freedom of the press is under assault if we keep chipping away at our rights what is our country worth? I donít care if the action would erase all guns from every bad person it has to be done legally and according to our constitution. The second amendment was created in a time when we just broke free from a country that did oppress us. It has also been misinterpreted in so many ways. But one thing is very clear. EVERY US citizen is entitled to
    Due process. Even in situations we wish it didnít
    The second amendment exists and should be protected whether we like it or not. That's how the law works. And that's exactly why saying ignore due process is so outrageous. We don't get to pick and choose.
    Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing. ~Arundhati Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Well, since neither ever said any such thing, I'd say that was the GOP and the NRA's political posturing and lies that some are too ignorant to recognize. The President saying ignore due process and take away people's guns is a much bigger deal. So yeah, apples and oranges.
    It isn't my argument.

Hope is eternal

I also do not believe a personís right to bear arms means any kind of weapon. Hence automatic weapons or heavy artilery are not allowed to be owned privately. So to say background checks are (we already do some) against it is really stretching it

NYYF Legend

There is a difference between taking everyone's guns away and taking away the guns of people who friends or family have reported to be dangerous but have not broken any laws.

Do you understand the difference yet?
    Yes one wanted to enact stronger gun laws through the legislative process, the other wanted to take peoples guns based on random phone calls to law enforcement.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

It isn't my argument.
    Actually it is, or you've done a terrible job communicating what your actual argument is.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Actually it is, or you've done a terrible job communicating what your actual argument is.
    Really?

You don't get how taking away everyone's guns and taking away the guns of those deemed dangerous are different?

I think you're just arguing to argue.

You can say it's contempt, but it's most likely lack of knowledge.

Hanlon's razor.
    Lack of knowledge of the rule of law is really not an improvement over contempt, not for a president.

NYYF Legend

Really?

You don't get how taking away everyone's guns and taking away the guns of those deemed dangerous are different?

I think you're just arguing to argue.
    And you seem to be mixing up trying to enact legislation through the due process of our constitution with executive fiat trying to remove rights based on rumor.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
    jl25 should be along shortly let you know how useless these hypotheticals are.
    Pretty darn useless. Iíve never shied away from criticizing hypotheticals from either side.

And sometimes you guys just reflexively bash everything Trump says.

He wasn't talking about taking everyone's guns. He is talking about taking the guns of someone who may have mental issues and who appears to be a danger to himself or others but hasn't broken any existing laws.

You don't see the difference between that and what people were talking about with Obama and Hillary?
    The difference I see is that they were trying to do something legally.

If you recognize gun ownership as a fundamental right, then taking guns away from someone who *may* have (undefined) mental issues and who *appears* (to whom?) to be a danger o himself or others but hasnít broken any existing laws is a really big deal.

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

If you recognize gun ownership as a fundamental right, then taking guns away from someone who *may* have (undefined) mental issues and who *appears* (to whom?) to be a danger o himself or others but hasnít broken any existing laws is a really big deal.
    If you do with no due process you donít even know if there is an issue

Hope is eternal

So the House Republicans concluded their ďinvestigationĒ into the Russia case and found no collusion. Good thing their opinion is meaningless

Lack of knowledge of the rule of law is really not an improvement over contempt, not for a president.
    I agree.

And you seem to be mixing up trying to enact legislation through the due process of our constitution with executive fiat trying to remove rights based on rumor.
    Where did you get 'executive fiat' from? It was literally a meeting where they were throwing around ideas. This is the hyperbole I was talking about.

Sure. Just like taking away everyone's guns would be a really big deal.

Why did not too many people take issue with that bill that tried to prevent people on the no-fly list from owning weapons? The same due-process was being violated.

Hope is eternal

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...x-income-falls

US posts largest monthly deficit in six years as revenues drop.

Gee I wonder what could be the cause of this. Also our national debt passed $19 trillion in December. Last week It already passed $20 trillion, a 5% increase in three months. Thought this tax bill would trickle down and pay for itself?

I agree.

Where did you get 'executive fiat' from? It was literally a meeting where they were throwing around ideas. This is the hyperbole I was talking about.

Sure. Just like taking away everyone's guns would be a really big deal.

Why did not too many people take issue with that bill that tried to prevent people on the no-fly list from owning weapons? The same due-process was being violated.
    My problem isn't with taking the guns, it's with the no-fly list. While I may not have singled that out often, I didn't cut the Obama administration much slack when it came to abridging rights in the name of counterterrorism.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Gee I wonder what could be the cause of this. Also our national debt passed $19 trillion in December. Last week It already passed $20 trillion, a 5% increase in three months. Thought this tax bill would trickle down and pay for itself?
    It takes time to reduce the debt with lower revenues, you need to make it up on volume.
    Baseball is life;

Hope is eternal

It takes time to reduce the debt with lower revenues, you need to make it up on volume.
    Yeah heard that before too

It's like Melky Cabrera. It just needs more time.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Nice use of an old Borscht Belt joke.
    - Barry Manilow

Hope is eternal

Numberg just on MSNBC. Said Mueller asked him about Assamge, payments from Trumpís lawyer to women and Roger Stone among other things

This is really bad. I'm glad they screwed over my kids to give more tax breaks to the wealthy.
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

Thread Information