+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Spring Training 2017

I am interested to know how many fans here intend to go to Spring Training this year, and when.

Our plans have been made and are set.

I am totally looking forward to see all of the farmhands play and to be able to evaluate how they will fit into our teams plans.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: Spring Training 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I am interested to know how many fans here intend to go to Spring Training this year, and when.

Our plans have been made and are set.

I am totally looking forward to see all of the farmhands play and to be able to evaluate how they will fit into our teams plans.

Andy
    Wish I could be there with you, Andy - it's always been on my bucket list to go to ST, but unfortunately the timing never works.

Given all these prospects, I may have to make it a point to go to Trenton for a few games this season - only about 50 miles away.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

What's the best bet for tickets? Wait until week of to buy on stubhub? I'm taking my dad for the first time this year, plan on going to the two night games on March 1st and March 2nd.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Given all these prospects, I may have to make it a point to go to Trenton for a few games this season - only about 50 miles away.
    And from where?

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I'm looking forward to seeing the changes they've made to Steinbrenner Field. And bracing myself to hate them.

I'm going and will be making a conscious effort to see the Yanks in other venues. GMS Field is arguably the worst place to see ST - too big, parking is a pain, and concessions are very expensive.

I'll be seeing the Yanks in Sarasota and Port Charlotte instead.

Best place has to be Bradenton or Lakeland - those are classics.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    Agreed, McKechnie and "The Joke" are awesome.

I also enjoyed Chain-O-Lakes Park in Winter Haven before the Indians ditched it for Arizona. Enjoyed the stadium, that is. My visit in 2008 was marred by the fact that the local gendarmes completely effed up the traffic control. Was within a half-mile of the park 2 hours before game time and barely got in in time for the first pitch.

Brighthouse in Clearwater is a nice park but the parking is a mess if Yankees are visitor.

The Jays' digs in Dunedin is a dump IMO.

Wish the Rays were still using Al Lang in downtown St. Pete but understand why they left.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post

I also enjoyed Chain-O-Lakes Park in Winter Haven before the Indians ditched it for Arizona. Enjoyed the stadium, that is. My visit in 2008 was marred by the fact that the local gendarmes completely effed up the traffic control. Was within a half-mile of the park 2 hours before game time and barely got in in time for the first pitch.

Brighthouse in Clearwater is a nice park but the parking is a mess if Yankees are visitor.

Wish the Rays were still using Al Lang in downtown St. Pete but understand why they left.

We're going to see a few games at Brighthouse in Clearwater also. I have never found parking there to be a problem.

I agree that I don't like GMS. They tried to hard to emulate NY's YS and made the Tampa field feel totally unFlorida like. Frankly when I am in Florida I want to sit in the sun in day games and see Palm Trees. I do not wanted to be reminded of the Bronx.

But that's just my opinion

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Two years ago I saw the Yanks at the Astros old place near Orlando, it was very small but not particularly nice. Can't bring myself to see the Red Sox in Fort Myers but have seen the Twins there.

Would be curious to see the teams on the Atlantic side at some point.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Two years ago I saw the Yanks at the Astros old place near Orlando, it was very small but not particularly nice. Can't bring myself to see the Red Sox in Fort Myers but have seen the Twins there.

The JetBlue Park (Red Sox) is interesting but felt a little sterile to me. Great food though.

NYYF Legend

The Astros (and Nationals) left that ballpark (Osceola County Stadium) for new digs off 45th St in West Palm Beach, The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches. I'm headed down to FL in March to visit my parents (they live in Palm Beach Gardens, just north of it) and will see the Yankees play the Astros on the 19th, and the Nationals on the 20th. I think I'll just sip a few drinks at a tiki bar the next couple of days after, and then head back to catch the beginning of spring in Maryland.

I'm going and will be making a conscious effort to see the Yanks in other venues. GMS Field is arguably the worst place to see ST - too big, parking is a pain, and concessions are very expensive.

I'll be seeing the Yanks in Sarasota and Port Charlotte instead.

ive seen them in Port Charlotte. My parents live about two miles away. It's a great stadium.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    We're going to see a few games at Brighthouse in Clearwater also. I have never found parking there to be a problem.
    You've had much better luck than I. We went to a Yankees/Phils ST game there in 2008 (if anyone remembers, that was the game in which young Brett Gardner managed to injure himself by fouling a ball off his face without it hitting the ground first). Ended up having to pay to park in a strip mall several blocks from the stadium.

NYYF Legend

You've had much better luck than I. We went to a Yankees/Phils ST game there in 2008 (if anyone remembers, that was the game in which young Brett Gardner managed to injure himself by fouling a ball off his face without it hitting the ground first). Ended up having to pay to park in a strip mall several blocks from the stadium.

I guess that our good luck stems from the fact that we always come early for the games

Andy

NYYF Legend

I've never been to ST before, but this thread inspired me to ask my wife if I can go with a friend of mine, and she said yes. I want to leave NY on a Thursday evening and return to NY on a Sunday night. Now I need to figure out which weekend works best in terms of the Yankee schedule.

NYYF Legend

Is there any "better" time to go to ST? Earlier in the schedule vs later?

I noticed that they are home on Friday 2/24 and Sunday 2/26, which would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post

I noticed that they are home on Friday 2/24 and Sunday 2/26, which would work for me.
    Late February / early March is good if you want to see the prospects. Late March is good if you want to guarantee seeing at least 5-6 inning off the ML regulars.

Personal preference is go to 2nd weekend of games.

I like right around the second weekend as well. The regulars are seeing ample innings and and still plenty of innings left for prospects. Plus, that's around when the minor league games start as well if that interests you (that schedule has not been posted yet afaik so can't say for sure when they start). Try to go to at least one road game for a more complete experience.

FYI, the Yankees Player Development Complex where the minor league games are held is walking distance from Steinbrenner Field. In addition to the games, instruction, workouts, drill. etc there are generally open to the public and they usually start in the morning before game times for the major or minor leagues. Bring a folding chair and food/water - there are no concessions. And no shade so sunscreen!

NYYF Legend

Awesome, thanks guys!

Any idea how far Toronto's complex is from the Yankee complex? Thinking about going 3/3-3/6 (based on your advice to go second week)

Awesome, thanks guys!

Any idea how far Toronto's complex is from the Yankee complex? Thinking about going 3/3-3/6 (based on your advice to go second week)
    Dunedin is practically a suburb of Tampa. 30 minutes or so.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Dunedin is practically a suburb of Tampa. 30 minutes or so.
    Perfect. I'm in.

If you're going to be there at that time, let me know.

Perfect. I'm in.

If you're going to be there at that time, let me know.
    That would have been fun but I'm not heading down until later in March this year. You're going to love it though. I thought I'd go once just to see what it was like. That was 2004 and the only year I missed since was due to a HUGE airport shutting snowfall.

Love Spring training all most as much as regular season.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    That would have been fun but I'm not heading down until later in March this year. You're going to love it though. I thought I'd go once just to see what it was like. That was 2004 and the only year I missed since was due to a HUGE airport shutting snowfall.
    Ah ok. Just booked my flight. With regards to hotel, do you have any suggestions?

Ah ok. Just booked my flight. With regards to hotel, do you have any suggestions?
    I like the Rocky Point area. It's on the water, right at the start of the causeway that leads to Clearwater and Dunedin. 10 minutes from Steinbrenner Field. Location, location, location. There's a pretty nice Westin there but if you want something less expensive, there is a Holiday Inn Express, the Bay Harbor Hotel and a Hampton Inn. Basic chains that are all okay. I've also stayed downtown. There are some higher end hotels and it's convenient to the ballpark and Ybor City (definitely go to Ybor City for food and nightlife) but parking downtown is expensive and traffic is bad.

Thread Information