+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 77
  1. #26
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I like the Rocky Point area. It's on the water, right at the start of the causeway that leads to Clearwater and Dunedin. 10 minutes from Steinbrenner Field. Location, location, location. There's a pretty nice Westin there but if you want something less expensive, there is a Holiday Inn Express, the Bay Harbor Hotel and a Hampton Inn. Basic chains that are all okay. I've also stayed downtown. There are some higher end hotels and it's convenient to the ballpark and Ybor City (definitely go to Ybor City for food and nightlife) but parking downtown is expensive and traffic is bad.
    You are the best! Westin is SPG, which works out very well for me. Thanks again.

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Boss, really envious. Nothing like sitting in 80 degree weather watching baseball when it is 20 and snowing up here. I hear Brightbouse Field is nice too.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

  3. #28
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Boss, really envious. Nothing like sitting in 80 degree weather watching baseball when it is 20 and snowing up here. I hear Brightbouse Field is nice too.
    I'm not even sure what to expect. I'm hoping I can meet some players/prospects while there.

  4. #29
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Ah ok. Just booked my flight. With regards to hotel, do you have any suggestions?


    Check out www.springtrainingonline.com for info about parks, tickets and all else.Their is a Holiday Inn Express on 2580 Gulf to bay boulevard in Clearwater that is relatively inexpensive and has all the amenities you will need. It is close to Tampa and the Gulf beaches as well as the Phillies park, Dunedin and other ST Parks


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm not even sure what to expect. I'm hoping I can meet some players/prospects while there.
    My suggestion is then to try to catch the Yanks away. George Steinbrenner Stadium is not as good for that as others (though still much easier than the Bronx). In past I have stood in line for something to eat with players in uniform
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

  6. #31
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Thanks a lot Nome & YP67. I'm going to go to Dunedin on Friday (Yanks/Jays), Clearwater on Saturday (Braves/Phillies) and Tampa on Sunday (Yanks/Pirates).

  7. #32
    NYYF Legend

    Nome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Branchburg, NJ 08876

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Thanks a lot Nome & YP67. I'm going to go to Dunedin on Friday (Yanks/Jays), Clearwater on Saturday (Braves/Phillies) and Tampa on Sunday (Yanks/Pirates).


    One word of warning!!
    Once you go to ST you will want to return year after year. It is addictive.
    If you have any free time at all make it a point to drive out to and walk on Clearwater Beach.
    If you want autographs, the best way to maximize your chances is to have an extremely attractive female with you. Ballplayers respond to them far more than to males.


    Have fun


    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

  8. #33

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    One word of warning!!
    Once you go to ST you will want to return year after year. It is addictive.
    If you have any free time at all make it a point to drive out to and walk on Clearwater Beach.
    If you want autographs, the best way to maximize your chances is to have an extremely attractive female with you. Ballplayers respond to them far more than to males.


    Have fun


    Andy
    Or rent a little kid. The addictive part is spot on.

  9. #34
    It's a walkoff Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Sounds like some great plans were made.

    I've been to Dunedin to see a game but it was called due to rain after a 30 minute delay. It isn't a particularly charming park but the food and beer selection is good and the seats have nice sight lines. You can sort of tell they built it right after they had their run in the early 90s but haven't really kept it up since.

    Would also recommend getting a post-game drink at a nearby brewery - http://www.7venthsun.com/
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  10. #35
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I guess that our good luck stems from the fact that we always come early for the games
    ha ha fair enough but as mentioned above, in Winter Haven I could see the light stanchions 2 hours before game time, and my GF and I got to our seats just as they were finishing the national anthem. Winter Haven police were a special kind of incompetent.

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I've never been to ST before, but this thread inspired me to ask my wife if I can go with a friend of mine, and she said yes.
    OK, just don't tell her about all the strip clubs down Dale Mabry Boulevard

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Dunedin is practically a suburb of Tampa. 30 minutes or so.
    Right, just take Route 19 North out of Clearwater and cut over to the west on Fla. 580. Pretty easy-peasy most days.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I like the Rocky Point area. It's on the water, right at the start of the causeway that leads to Clearwater and Dunedin. 10 minutes from Steinbrenner Field. Location, location, location. There's a pretty nice Westin there but if you want something less expensive, there is a Holiday Inn Express, the Bay Harbor Hotel and a Hampton Inn.
    Just chipping in here, I wouldn't recommend the Rocky Point Holiday Inn Express. Cheesecloth walls and if you're there on the weekend, when the big restaurant-nightclub at the end of the road closes there is a massive loud-drunk diaspora and some of it might land in the room right next to you. That was one night. The morning after the next night, no drunks (we successfully had this party evicted) but we actually heard every word of a guy's 7 a.m. business call to an associate. The walls are that thin.

    The Westin is very close to the HIE and probably absorbs some of the drunk diaspora but being a luxury hotel I would assume it has thicker walls.

    If you don't mind a bit of a drive the Sheraton in East Tampa is quite good and probably a bit cheaper than the Westin.

    Boss 84, make sure you take breakfast at Lenny's in Clearwater one morning. (On a southbound service road of US 19, walking distance from the HIE on Gulf-to-Bay Blvd. that Andy/Nome recommended.) Old 1970s breakfast joint, it is AWESOME.

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Thanks Hellonewman - I am going to be staying at the Clearwater Marriot - definitely going to Lenny's!

  12. #37
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Thanks Hellonewman - I am going to be staying at the Clearwater Marriot - definitely going to Lenny's!
    If you are a steak lover, best steak I have had is at Bern's Steak House on South Howard Ave in Tampa. Pricey but worth it.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

  13. #38

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Thanks Hellonewman - I am going to be staying at the Clearwater Marriot - definitely going to Lenny's!
    One of the Columbia restaurants is right next door to you iirc. A lot of people will tell you that it's become too touristy and the food has lost a lot of it's Cuban authenticity but I love it. Although I prefer the Ybor City location, it's hard to beat walking distance from your hotel.

  14. #39
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Years ago, I interviewed for a job with BayHealth in Clearwater. Boy, I wish I had gotten that job. ST would have been in my back yard.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  15. #40
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    I will be hitting up four ST games at GMS. I'm considering maybe one or two others at Dunedin or Clearwater, also, but just haven't gotten around to it.

    I thought this link might be helpful for those who don't know the area very well.

    http://www.floridarambler.com/florid...ring-training/

    - Rick

  16. #41

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    If you are a steak lover, best steak I have had is at Bern's Steak House on South Howard Ave in Tampa. Pricey but worth it.
    Great steak house! Just remember that they cook the steaks a bit on the rare side.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

  17. #42
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Thanks Hellonewman - I am going to be staying at the Clearwater Marriot - definitely going to Lenny's!
    Just checking back in -- one thing I neglected to mention, Boss84, is since you're going during ST, be aware that this place is famous. If you go in the "peak" time of 6-9 a.m., you may have a wait (not outrageous length as their interior space is pretty big, but 20-25 mins. is quite possible). They do have old stadium seats from the Phillies' old ST home to sit in while you wait. But if your schedule/stomach allows a wait until after 9 a.m., might not be a bad idea. (I recommend any of their 3-egg omelettes and 2 sides. OK, maybe not the omelette that has alligator meat in it. But any of the others.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    One of the Columbia restaurants is right next door to you iirc. A lot of people will tell you that it's become too touristy and the food has lost a lot of it's Cuban authenticity but I love it.
    Yeah my ladyfriend and I have become kind of militant inlanders when it comes to dining down there; "tourist" at the coast, go inland a few miles for food. Pump locals for info on good places "where the locals eat" (I don't mean walk up to people on the street lol, just ask your cashier at RiteAid ) Have found a few nice spots that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler884 View Post
    I will be hitting up four ST games at GMS. I'm considering maybe one or two others at Dunedin or Clearwater, also, but just haven't gotten around to it.
    Clearwater is a very nice stadium. Don't bother with Dunedin unless a) you really like the Blue Jays or b) you are otherwise visiting the town that day and are right nearby (Dunedin is admittedly a quaint walkable little town). The stadium looks like the winner in a "design a boring fairgrounds" contest. And if the Yankees are there prepare for a long hike from your parking spot.

  18. #43
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Just checking back in -- one thing I neglected to mention, Boss84, is since you're going during ST, be aware that this place is famous. If you go in the "peak" time of 6-9 a.m., you may have a wait (not outrageous length as their interior space is pretty big, but 20-25 mins. is quite possible). They do have old stadium seats from the Phillies' old ST home to sit in while you wait. But if your schedule/stomach allows a wait until after 9 a.m., might not be a bad idea. (I recommend any of their 3-egg omelettes and 2 sides. OK, maybe not the omelette that has alligator meat in it. But any of the others.)

    Yeah my ladyfriend and I have become kind of militant inlanders when it comes to dining down there; "tourist" at the coast, go inland a few miles for food. Pump locals for info on good places "where the locals eat" (I don't mean walk up to people on the street lol, just ask your cashier at RiteAid ) Have found a few nice spots that way.

    Clearwater is a very nice stadium. Don't bother with Dunedin unless a) you really like the Blue Jays or b) you are otherwise visiting the town that day and are right nearby (Dunedin is admittedly a quaint walkable little town). The stadium looks like the winner in a "design a boring fairgrounds" contest. And if the Yankees are there prepare for a long hike from your parking spot.

    I live in the area, so I go to these parks quite a bit. I know many people run down Auto Exchange Stadium (Dunedin) but I like the quaintness of it, and how close the seats are to the field. And pretty much everywhere has a great view of the field. As the team recently decided to stay in Dunedin, they will be making many upgrades to the stadium. I hope they don't lose the "feel" of the place. As for parking, I've never really had a problem, as long as you get there early enough. Or, if you're not you can always park in Downtown Dunedin, which is about 3-5 blocks away. If you plan on doing that, though, keep in mind that Dunedin has now instituted parking meters Downtown.

    If you are truly interested in Columbia restaurant, there is one right in the SandKey area of Clearwater, where Boss will be staying. I happen to love there 1905 salad. A new place which opened recently on Clearwater Beach is at the Opal Sands resort, called "Sandbar" which I've eaten at and enjoyed a great deal. Many locals will rave about "Frenchy's" but I've never been a fan.

    I might be able to recommend more 'local' places if I had more of an idea of where you'd be looking. Tampa Bay is pretty sprawling, and most places take a good bit of time getting around.

    - Rick

  19. #44

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Hi - Spring Training Newbie here (and also new to this site). Sorry to hijack the thread, but the site wouldn't let me create my own post.

    I'm going to be in Tampa From 2/21 to 2/25 and plan to go to the first game against the Phillies on the 24th. Other than games, I've heard that there are workouts and practices that fans can attend. Are there any blogs or links that talk about what to expect? For example, is there a charge to attend workouts (it's the Yankees, so I guess I shouldn't be naive)? Generally what are the hours of the workouts? Are there any chances to get an autograph? If there's a link that talks about what to expect if you're attending Yankee spring training, that would be great!

    Thanks all.

  20. #45
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tampa Bay

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by AroundTheHorn View Post
    Hi - Spring Training Newbie here (and also new to this site). Sorry to hijack the thread, but the site wouldn't let me create my own post.

    I'm going to be in Tampa From 2/21 to 2/25 and plan to go to the first game against the Phillies on the 24th. Other than games, I've heard that there are workouts and practices that fans can attend. Are there any blogs or links that talk about what to expect? For example, is there a charge to attend workouts (it's the Yankees, so I guess I shouldn't be naive)? Generally what are the hours of the workouts? Are there any chances to get an autograph? If there's a link that talks about what to expect if you're attending Yankee spring training, that would be great!

    Thanks all.
    Hi, AtH and welcome (if a "welcome" from a usual lurker counts )!
    The team workouts are open to the public, and free. The ones I have been to usually started in the late morning (think 11:00ish) and ran into early afternoon. Some days are more crowded than others, and the parking lot CAN fill, so I would recommend getting there earlier. I apologize, but I don't recall what time they opened the gates to let people in, though.

    - Rick

  21. #46

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Wow... There hasn't been a good Spring Training thread here in a while. I book a quick trip March 4-7 to take in some baseball and hockey.

    Saturday March 4 - We land and are going straight to see the NYY@DET in Lakeland.
    Sunday March 5 - Going to either DET@PHI, but leaning towards TB@TOR in Dunedin.
    Monday March 6 - Still trying to pick a game, but NYR@TBL in the eve.
    Tuesday March 7 - Fly to FLL and see the NYR@FLA

    We have extra seats to the Saturday game that we're going to sell as soon as we get a final count for our group.

    Like most people here, I think the Yankees facility is probably one of the least fun and friendly ones to go to. My favorite out of the new ball parks is Clearwater by far. I haven't seen the Sox you place though.

    Out of the older ones, I love going to see the Jays in Dunedin. It's a great town with a lot to do.

    If anyone is going to either of those games, let me know.

  22. #47
    Chapecó, que tristeza theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    The bats, balls and unis are now on their way south to Florida! I really need some baseball...

    http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...ng-for-spring/



    I want one of those bags. Anybody have a source?
    Last edited by theDurk; 02-03-17 at 11:50 AM.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  23. #48
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    The date on the milk carton that contained the milk for my breakfast cereal this morning is the same as the day pitchers and catchers report!

  24. #49
    It's a walkoff Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    The date on the milk carton that contained the milk for my breakfast cereal this morning is the same as the day pitchers and catchers report!
    You should get ultra pasteurized milk, by the time one of those goes bad, the Yankees will be 10 games under .500
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  25. #50

    Re: Spring Training 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    You should get ultra pasteurized milk, by the time one of those goes bad, the Yankees will be 10 games under .500
    I figured -tz to be one those almond milk folks.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts