+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Education

NYYF Legend

Re: Education

So the middle school where our daughter goes recently got some school wide standard testing results. They were sooooo excited that 50% of the 7th grade scored is in the proficient or advanced range. To me that's kind of appalling since it means the other 50% is below proficient.

Then we had math night last night. What a cluster-f*** disaster. Where we learned that instruction now consists of watching a video and then solving problems on their own. They are supposed to follow it up with teachers going over what the kids solved but somehow our dumb-f*** teacher skips that part. We're basically home schooling her in math this year.

I hate common core.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    So the middle school where our daughter goes recently got some school wide standard testing results. They were sooooo excited that 50% of the 7th grade scored is in the proficient or advanced range. To me that's kind of appalling since it means the other 50% is below proficient.

Then we had math night last night. What a cluster-f*** disaster. Where we learned that instruction now consists of watching a video and then solving problems on their own. They are supposed to follow it up with teachers going over what the kids solved but somehow our dumb-f*** teacher skips that part. We're basically home schooling her in math this year.

I hate common core.
    Join the club. Haven't participated in the public educational system for 2 yrs now.
    Happy 2017!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    Join the club. Haven't participated in the public educational system for 2 yrs now.
    Luckily it is only math and we can cover it a home though others can't. Her science, English and history teachers are all great.
    Baseball is life;

I hate common core.
    The low expectations are appalling. Having a school age child is so damn stressful.

I hate common core.
    What the hell? That makes no sense.

start your kid with bourbaki, accept no substitutes.

I hate common core.

I'm not sure why you blame this on Common Core, which provides standards for what a child is supposed to learn each year, but in no way mandates bad teaching. For that matter, it doesn't mandate good teaching, either - it is silent on the method of teaching.

Your problem isn't Common Core. It's a bad teacher.

http://www.corestandards.org/Math/
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I'm not sure why you blame this on Common Core, which provides standards for what a child is supposed to learn each year, but in no way mandates bad teaching. For that matter, it doesn't mandate good teaching, either - it is silent on the method of teaching.

Your problem isn't Common Core. It's a bad teacher.

http://www.corestandards.org/Math/
    It is a little of both in this case. Part of it is the implementation of a "new" teaching method specifically with common core in mind that our district is adopting and part of it is yes, he's a bad teacher.

But I have some other issues with the stupidness of common core as it relates to math that go way beyond this specific teacher.

I think common core has some good goals but some of how it is now taught is dreadful. Granted that could just be our districts implementation of CC as I have only a sample population of one to express my displeasure with it.
    Baseball is life;

It is a little of both in this case. Part of it is the implementation of a "new" teaching method specifically with common core in mind that our district is adopting and part of it is yes, he's a bad teacher.

But I have some other issues with the stupidness of common core as it relates to math that go way beyond this specific teacher.

I think common core has some good goals but some of how it is now taught is dreadful. Granted that could just be our districts implementation of CC as I have only a sample population of one to express my displeasure with it.

I can't really judge if the standards are good ones, but how they're taught isn't a Common Core problem.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I can't really judge if the standards are good ones, but how they're taught isn't a Common Core problem.
    OK, we'll agree that you are wrong and move on.
    Baseball is life;

The current education discussion should probable be here but either way, free public college is closer to being a reality.

http://time.com/4734635/free-college-tuition-new-york/

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed legislation on Monday to provide free tuition to students attending two-year and four-year programs at public colleges in the state — a plan he is hailing as the first of its kind in the nation, amid a growing push for affordable college.The Excelsior Scholarship — passed as part of the state budget on Sunday — will provide free tuition to students attending the State University or City University of New York if their families earn $125,000 or less per year.
    The state estimates that 940,000 families with college-aged children will qualify for free tuition. Here are the key things to know:
    New York students whose families make up to $100,000 per year will be eligible for free tuition at the state's public colleges in the fall of 2017. The income cap will increase to $110,000 in 2018 and $125,000 in 2019.
    Students who receive the scholarship are required to enroll full-time, take an average of 30 credits per year, maintain the necessary GPA to stay in school and graduate on time.
    The scholarship covers tuition, which is currently $6,470 at the State University of New York (SUNY) for one year of study toward a bachelor's degree. But it does not include student fees or room and board, which add up to about $14,230 per year, according to SUNY.The indirect costs associated with earning a degree — including books, supplies and transportation — can also add up.
    Scholarship beneficiaries are required to live and work in the state after graduation for the same number of years as they received the scholarship. If they don't, they'll be required to pay back the tuition money.

NYYF Legend

^that seems like a good model to start.

I hope it is successful and spreads.
    Baseball is life;

^that seems like a good model to start.

I hope it is successful and spreads.
    Let's see.

940,000 qualifying families times $6470 per kid......That's $6,081,800,000. Does New York have six billion dollars sitting in an account somewhere that nobody has their hooks into? Or do we just charge every man, woman, and child who lives in New York an additional $300 per person to fund this?

And, what happens when we exceed the intake capability of SUNY and CCNY?

On the plus side, I very much like that there are academic achievement requirements tied to the scholarships, and that they come with a requirement to live and work in New York after accepting the scholarship money.

So yes, it's a good start, but it's economically unfunded and logistically unsound. It will be interesting to see how it works going forward.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Let's see.

940,000 qualifying families times $6470 per kid......That's $6,081,800,000. Does New York have six billion dollars sitting in an account somewhere that nobody has their hooks into? Or do we just charge every man, woman, and child who lives in New York an additional $300 per person to fund this?

And, what happens when we exceed the intake capability of SUNY and CCNY?

On the plus side, I very much like that there are academic achievement requirements tied to the scholarships, and that they come with a requirement to live and work in New York after accepting the scholarship money.

So yes, it's a good start, but it's economically unfunded and logistically unsound. It will be interesting to see how it works going forward.
    Scholarship beneficiaries are required to live and work in the state after graduation for the same number of years as they received the scholarship. If they don't, they'll be required to pay back the tuition money.
    Presumably it will be repaid by those who don't work or move out of state.

Also presumably it would be partially funded by the taxes generated on higher income earners.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...l-grads-widens
    Among millennials ages 25 to 32, median annual earnings for full-time working college-degree holders are $17,500 greater than for those with high school diplomas only.
    Baseball is life;

Presumably it will be repaid by those who don't work or move out of state.
    I know. I find this to be one of the positives of the plan. However, all they're going to pay back is what THEY received, so it won't go into the pot toward paying for the other scholarships. I'm genuinely curious about how the State of New York will enforce this. I take my ink-barely-dry SUNY diploma, and I take a job out here in Colorado. How is NY going to compel me to repay that scholarship? Hopefully, there's a mechanism to do so. I'm just not familiar with what that might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper
    Also presumably it would be partially funded by the taxes generated on higher income earners.
    I like this premise, too. The State is opening the door for people to earn more, and therefore pay more in State Income Tax throughout their lifetimes. Sounds a little trickle-down-y, but it could work.

I'd also like to see the same financial incentive for kids who are not college bound. Shouldn't the kid who wants to be an HVAC technician or a plumber or a chef be able to go to a trade school? Not all kids are destined for college, nor will they benefit from college.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I know. I find this to be one of the positives of the plan. However, all they're going to pay back is what THEY received, so it won't go into the pot toward paying for the other scholarships. I'm genuinely curious about how the State of New York will enforce this. I take my ink-barely-dry SUNY diploma, and I take a job out here in Colorado. How is NY going to compel me to repay that scholarship? Hopefully, there's a mechanism to do so. I'm just not familiar with what that might be.

I like this premise, too. The State is opening the door for people to earn more, and therefore pay more in State Income Tax throughout their lifetimes. Sounds a little trickle-down-y, but it could work.

I'd also like to see the same financial incentive for kids who are not college bound. Shouldn't the kid who wants to be an HVAC technician or a plumber or a chef be able to go to a trade school? Not all kids are destined for college, nor will they benefit from college.
    I think there will be a lot of things to work out. Cuomo says the first year cost will be $163M and it's worked into the budget without any tax increase so I assume there is something being cut but I can't figure out what it is. Since it's just state schools they may just be absorbing some of it. My big issue with it is that it only covers tuition but requires a full time class load. That would make it difficult if not impossible for lower income students to take advantage as they would have to work to cover other fees not included in tuition, supplies and cost of living. I think it will help the middle class the most. I think it's a good start.

Fully on board with a way to get kids to trade school at no or low cost. That seems like something the private sector could invest in as well. It just can't be as a disguised version of indentured servitude.

SJW and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    The current education discussion should probable be here but either way, free public college is closer to being a reality.

Rhode Island about to do the same. Imagine that giving all including the poor an equal chance to succeed!
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Legend

I would be in favor of programs like this too.
    Baseball is life;

SJW and proud

I would be in favor of programs like this too.
    Agreed.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post

How much is this free education going to cost?
    Happy 2017!

NYYF Legend

How much is this free education going to cost?
    Lower crime rates
    Lower poverty rates
    Fewer folks on welfare.

That's what it's going to cost.
    Baseball is life;

Addicted Member

Lower crime rates
    Lower poverty rates
    Fewer folks on welfare.

Translate that to dollars, why don't ya?
    Happy 2017!

SJW and proud

Lower crime rates
    Lower poverty rates
    Fewer folks on welfare.

These are the questions that also need to be asked instead of "what does it cost". Also need to know the benefits and long term potential savings. Not sure anyone here has the answer to that. I would also add lower unemployment rates to that list a sign well.

NYYF Legend

Translate that to dollars, why don't ya?
    https://trends.collegeboard.org/educ...ducation-level

The typical bachelor’s degree recipient can expect to earn about 66% more during a 40-year working life than the typical high school graduate earns over the same period.
    It will cost the difference between 66% increase in tax revenue less the cost of the program.

That doesn't figure in the savings from the 3 items I listed.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Conservatives hate welfare right? The best way to keep more folks off the welfare rolls is through education.

https://www.creditdonkey.com/welfare-statistics.html

Is there a correlation between welfare recipients and education level?
    About 37% of people who did not graduate high school received welfare resistance, with about half of them needing aid for over 3 years.
    About 22% of high school graduates and 10% of those who attended college for at least a year received aid.
    http://cjtc.ucsc.edu/docs/wp_Welfare...yEducation.pdf

The results for those who graduate from college are even more striking. Among welfare recipients who graduate from college during or just after a welfare spell, the rate of return to aid is just 9 percent within one year and 20 percent within five years. Both these recidivism rates are well below those seen for college attendees who do not graduate and those who did not attend college.

Baseball is life;

Thread Information