+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19

Thread: Education

Re: Education

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    The year I was born
    Ahh . . . I guess that was a big year for you! And hit the big 5-0 last year. Many happy returns.

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Ahh . . . I guess that was a big year for you! And hit the big 5-0 last year. Many happy returns.
    Thank you. Less than a month from 51
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...ons/1325505972

Love how she justifies it by saying "we saved 100 jobs". Heartless

Pure greatness. Super Intendent is best friends with the mayor, Gets an SUV as a signing bonus, had her office repainted 4 times because she kept on not liking the color.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticu...ons/1325505972

Love how she justifies it by saying "we saved 100 jobs". Heartless

Pure greatness. Super Intendent is best friends with the mayor, Gets an SUV as a signing bonus, had her office repainted 4 times because she kept on not liking the color.
    They had 1 counselor for every 250 students, along with social workers, and school psychs. That’s completely unheard of everywhere I have lived, and everywhere I have worked. I dont know how long they were able to keep that ratio, buts its awesome that they were able to do so for however long it lasted.

Many states chose to cut down on school budgets during the recession. Many states (mostly red states) have not restored that funding since then, leading to issues such as these. As a district employee, its extremely frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    They had 1 counselor for every 250 students, along with social workers, and school psychs. Thatís completely unheard of everywhere I have lived, and everywhere I have worked. I dont know how long they were able to keep that ratio, buts its awesome that they were able to do so for however long it lasted.

Many states chose to cut down on school budgets during the recession. Many states (mostly red states) have not restored that funding since then, leading to issues such as these. As a district employee, its extremely frustrating.
    They could have taken 2 furlough days and saved everybodys Job. My university in the same city did this
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

They could have taken 2 furlough days and saved everybodys Job. My university in the same city did this

And what about next year? And the year after that?

I don't know what it's like in that state, but in CA, the districts have to present budgets for three years, which show how they are solvent, or will become solvent in that time, and have it approved by the state. At that time, they also have to factor in future enrollment (which is likely going down), future costs (In CA, that includes step raises for staff, pension requirements, etc.), and projected future funding from the state. Furlough days likely have to be approved by the state, as they may reduce the number of days of school below the required number of days as determined by the state. And then, if there is a union, they will have to negotiate with the union to come to an agreement about the furlough days, or laying people off. It's far from being as easy as just taking a few furlough days. That may be easier to do at a pubic university than in a public K-12 district, as school districts may be much more regulated (probably too much) than universities since k-12 education is compulsory, but higher education is not.

I think it is also important to point out that they have a teaching staff of 1,800 and 47 schools, not counting the adult education. And according to their most recent board meetings, their budget was short by over 6 million dollars in June, 2018. While losing any job is pretty awful, losing "only" 37 full time positions out of an employment force of over 1,800 is pretty good. That's not even one staff member per school, and significantly less than the 140 that was part of the original plan. And since school closure appears to be in the future for this district, chances are, there will be additional layoffs. As a school employee myself, I think it's a terrible position to be in for everyone, but it is the reality of working in schools. The best solution would be for the state to increase funding, but that could be years away.

Thread Information