+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 469

Thread: Education

  1. #151
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Whenever there's even a suggestion about allowing employers to refuse to pay for birth control, I have to read about the War On Women. If the expectation for a woman to pay for her own birth control means Republicans hate women, it's clear that the hatred against vouchers is indicative that you hate smart kids. You can't make one conclusion without making the other.


    And again, how is this robbing the poor? No one is taking anything away from them. It's absolutely the same as decreasing enrollment.


    Unbelievable, indeed.
    Ah another Maynard Apples to Garbage Trucks comparison
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  2. #152
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Decreasing enrollment is a nightmare for schools where they have had to deal with it in large numbers like with urban flight. And who is it that can't leave and pays the price? Why poor people of course.
    Screw the poor.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  3. #153
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Screw the poor.
    So, your alternative is to screw the kids from more affluent families. Wonderful. Damn those kids. They should happily stay put in an underperforming school.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  4. #154
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    So, your alternative is to screw the kids from more affluent families. Wonderful. Damn those kids. They should happily stay put in an underperforming school.
    No one is forcing the rich to go to a private school they are doing it of THEIR CHOICE. Why should I have to pay for that? But you are saying (without verbally saying it) the poor must stay behind in an underperforming school as they WONT HAVE THE CHOICE to go to private school as hey can't afford it. So screw the poor! And taking more money away even more screwed
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  5. #155
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    So, your alternative is to screw the kids from more affluent families. Wonderful. Damn those kids. They should happily stay put in an underperforming school.
    Most of the schools where affluent kids live aren't the public schools that are failing.

    They are generally well funded, well staffed, have great parent donations and volunteerism and text books that aren't falling apart an out of date. They also tend to have better teachers who are paid more with better benefits.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  6. #156
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Most of the schools where affluent kids live aren't the public schools that are failing.

    They are generally well funded, well staffed, have great parent donations and volunteerism and text books that aren't falling apart an out of date. They also tend to have better teachers who are paid more with better benefits.
    OK. So perhaps the voucher system will allow Middle Class families who can't afford that tuition to send their kids to such schools, as well.


    A voucher system helps kids. Yes, there will me a miniscule sting for those remaining in public schools, but that will be almost unmeasureable. So, in order to avoid that tiny disadvantage to public schools, you're willing to take the opportunity away for Middle Class kids to attend better schools?


    How about the school choice system I mentioned earlier? Guess what happens? Kids districted to failing schools are the ones who request permits into the better performing ones. Because the families are responsible for transportation, is this also unfair to poorer families?


    I still don't understand why it's unacceptable to support families that are trying to improve their kids' education. I can pick my doctor, dentist, attorney, accountant, plumber, banker. But I can't pick my kids' teachers.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  7. #157
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Education

    Maynerd is upset about forcing the rich kids to stay in an underperforming school. But no problems at all for the poor kids to stay.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  8. #158
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Yes, there will me a miniscule sting for those remaining in public schools, but that will be almost unmeasureable. .
    No it's not.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  9. #159
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No it's not.
    A school with 500 kids gets $2,500,000 state dollars. If 100 kids go elsewhere, they get $2,000,000. Let's do the math. They used to make $5000 per student, and now they only make $5000 per student. Yep, that's screwing the poor.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  10. #160
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Education

    And Maynerd keeps repeating the same falsity. He states we are forcing rich kids to stay behind in a public school. How? They have the choice to go to the private school of their choosing. Only thing we are saying is we aren't taking money and resources from the poor to give them an unneeded discount.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  11. #161

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

    A voucher system helps kids.
    There is increasing evidence that says that's not true.

  12. #162

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    A school with 500 kids gets $2,500,000 state dollars. If 100 kids go elsewhere, they get $2,000,000. Let's do the math. They used to make $5000 per student, and now they only make $5000 per student. Yep, that's screwing the poor.
    And yet they still have to pay the teachers, provide security, replace the roof, repair the air conditioning, pave the parking lot, etc etc etc.

  13. #163
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    And yet they still have to pay the teachers, provide security, replace the roof, repair the air conditioning, pave the parking lot, etc etc etc.
    Screw the poor. Less resources means less quality education.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  14. #164
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    A school with 500 kids gets $2,500,000 state dollars. If 100 kids go elsewhere, they get $2,000,000. Let's do the math. They used to make $5000 per student, and now they only make $5000 per student. Yep, that's screwing the poor.
    Yet he poor kid still is at the underperforming school you feel bad only for the rich kid. Screw the poor
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  15. #165
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Maynerd is upset about forcing the rich kids to stay in an underperforming school. But no problems at all for the poor kids to stay.
    This is two completely different issues. I'm all in favor of improving our schools. I don't have kids in school any more, but I support each and every increase in local taxes that go toward improving my local school district. It's the reasonable thing to do, and it can only serve to boost the value of my home by having it in a high-performing school district. With increased investment in schools, they'll stop under-performing. But until then, we shouldn't hold our kids hostage to that school.


    Arizona is problematic, in that their per-student spending is frighteningly low. That's what happens when you import millions of retirees. They tend to vote DOWN increases to school taxes. So, schools there will continue to be under-funded. Maybe everyone should be complaining about old people rather than rich people.


    But if your schools are under-performing, why impede the ones who might be able to seek a better alternative? You're so worried about the "poor kids" left behind that you're willing to PUNISH the ones who would need vouchers to get a better education. And, I've yet so see a model that results in an exodus of 80% of the public school population. It won't only be the "poor kids" still in public schools. Most people, even with vouchers or school choice, will still send their kids to the neighborhood school.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  16. #166
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    A school with 500 kids gets $2,500,000 state dollars. If 100 kids go elsewhere, they get $2,000,000. Let's do the math. They used to make $5000 per student, and now they only make $5000 per student. Yep, that's screwing the poor.
    So they fire 3 teachers. Did any of the other overhead on the school change? Electric bill goes down by 20%?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  17. #167
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    But if your schools are under-performing, why impede the ones who might be able to seek a better alternative?
    Because I prefer to improve the existing school rather then shuttling them to a poor overseen for profit dual/shadow school system that's been shown in multiple locations through out the country to not save money, not show better results and not have most of the oversight associated with the public school system.

    And no one is saying you can't pay to send your kids to PRIVATE school. What we are saying is PUBLIC money should be used for PUBLIC education.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  18. #168

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Because I prefer to improve the existing school rather then shuttling them to a poor overseen for profit dual/shadow school system that's been shown in multiple locations through out the country to not save money, not show better results and not have most of the oversight associated with the public school system.

    And no one is saying you can't pay to send your kids to PRIVATE school. What we are saying is PUBLIC money should be used for PUBLIC education.
    This. Even if we wanted to accept the argument that vouchers are great (nope), they still do nothing toward fixing the problem. You always hear a lot about vouchers during election years because it's a way to claim you want to improve public schooling without having to actually do anything to improve public schooling.

  19. #169

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Ah another Maynard Apples to Garbage Trucks comparison
    I haven't yet picked my jaw up off the floor following his comparison of vouchers to being pro-choice. So offensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    There is increasing evidence that says that's not true.
    Evidence schmevidence. Use those bootstraps! If you don't have any, just find some!

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    And yet they still have to pay the teachers, provide security, replace the roof, repair the air conditioning, pave the parking lot, etc etc etc.
    Absolutely. Those costs aren't going away.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

  20. #170
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    And yet they still have to pay the teachers, provide security, replace the roof, repair the air conditioning, pave the parking lot, etc etc etc.
    Air conditioning You're funny. My wife's school doesn't have air conditioning, except for the library and main office. Air conditioning costs too much money for that waspy town she works in.

  21. #171

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Air conditioning You're funny. My wife's school doesn't have air conditioning, except for the library and main office. Air conditioning costs too much money for that waspy town she works in.
    I didn't have air conditioning in school growing up (in the South!) and when the AC went out in my kids school in NY they canceled class for 2 days. I was livid. Back in my day....

  22. #172
    Reject Fascism
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I didn't have air conditioning in school growing up (in the South!) and when the AC went out in my kids school in NY they canceled class for 2 days. I was livid. Back in my day....
    We didn't have it either. And when temperatures were to be in the 90's, they told us to dress accordingly. We didn't get sent home. But it is a different time.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

  23. #173

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Air conditioning You're funny. My wife's school doesn't have air conditioning, except for the library and main office. Air conditioning costs too much money for that waspy town she works in.
    We have a/c at schools, because people literally would die without it here.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

  24. #174
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Education

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    We didn't have it either. And when temperatures were to be in the 90's, they told us to dress accordingly. We didn't get sent home. But it is a different time.
    Yeah they've never closed my wife's school for heat but man is she miserable in September, May and June. Then she tells me about kids wearing hoodies in that heat. As a one time smelly 9th grade boy, she should get a stipend for teaching smelly 9th grade boys.


    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    We have a/c at schools, because people literally would die without it here.
    I'm guessing most of your buildings are pretty new. My wife's school was built in the 60s and now there's a tea party group in her town that wants to just demolish the school and not rebuild, but pay to send the kids to a neighboring town.

  25. #175
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Education

    NSFW language but, yeah.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts