+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: What are you reading in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Just started "Hillbilly Elegy" by JD Vance which was on a ton of best of lists last year.

http://a.co/hew9NeS
    That sounds pretty good. Have you read either "American Rust" or "The Son" by Phillip Meyer? 4-3-2-1 by Paul Auster is next up in the queue. Also, not sure if I told you, Moonglow was great.

For a good whimsical/philosophical read with great dialogue and a raucous storyline complete with Pirates, egotistical gurus, and con artists, I highly recommend "Love and Other Pranks" by Tony Vigorito. His other novels (Just A Couple of Days, Nine Kinds of Naked) are similar stylistically and are great, too. He is as close to Tom Robbins as you will find.

I ordered The Handmaid's Tale, and it arrived today.

I just finished Golden Prey, John Sandford's latest (#27) Lucas Davenport thriller. He never disappoints. Great villains, great dialog, excellent plot, and the ability to just force you to keep turning pages.

Only bad thing is now I have to wait a year for the next one, with only a Virgil Flowers book in the fall to help me out.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I finished a long novel by Walter Littell called The Company about the history of the CIA, which was made into a mini-series several years back. Great book.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I just finished Golden Prey, John Sandford's latest (#27) Lucas Davenport thriller. He never disappoints. Great villains, great dialog, excellent plot, and the ability to just force you to keep turning pages.

Only bad thing is now I have to wait a year for the next one, with only a Virgil Flowers book in the fall to help me out.
    I kind of lost interest in the Davenport series a few years back. Should probably pick it back up. But I love that fvckin Flowers. Have you read David Baldacci's Amos Decker series? I think it's in the same vein. The third book just came out but I'm sitting on it for a vacation book.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Still listening to Ron Chernow's "Washington: A Life" which is an amazingly well researched and equally well written biography of the man. Couldn't recommend it enough. The audiobook is well produced and the narrator is great. If you have a long commute, it's perfect for that.

Also, reading something a little lighter, "Blood Aces: The Wild Ride of Benny Binion, the Texas Gangster Who Created Vegas Poker"

Still trying to get into Stephenson's "Anathem".

In true fashion, he's made up an entire world with all new nouns that are written as if we know their meaning. It's a tough read so far. Still waiting for it to "click".
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I kind of lost interest in the Davenport series a few years back. Should probably pick it back up. But I love that fvckin Flowers. Have you read David Baldacci's Amos Decker series? I think it's in the same vein. The third book just came out but I'm sitting on it for a vacation book.
    Yeah, Baldacci is on my short "Never Miss" list. Thanks for the Heads-up on The Fix, just grabbed that one.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

"A Gambler's Anatomy" by Jonathan Lethem. Pretty good so far, Lethem hasn't let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Yeah, Baldacci is on my short "Never Miss" list. Thanks for the Heads-up on The Fix, just grabbed that one.
    I'm about 3/4ths of the way through The Fix. It's solid. I don't think he's come close to matching the quality of the first Memory Man book with the second and third, though.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Before The Fix, by the way, I read a book called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, which I thought was great.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Has anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles? I know it's going to be the next big TV/movie adaptation and Lin Manuel Miranda is involved. There are currently two of them written and they're part of the buy 1 get 1 sale on Audible this week.

The Terrenauts by TC Boyle. Boyle is always solid. Not my favorite work of his, but well worth the nearly 500 pages.

Released Outright

Sadly I don't read books anymore. I get just about everything I need from the Net.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Sadly I don't read books anymore. I get just about everything I need from the Net.
    Spoken like a true Trump supporter!

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Spoken like a true Trump supporter!
    Something wrong with grabbing info from the Net? I happen to be a very busy woman and that's the fastest way for me to keep up.

Listening to Revival by Stephen King while I paint my living room tomorrow. Also started reading the oral history of the Daily Show. They interviewed everyone, apparently except for Wyatt Cenac and Craig Kilborn who both turned them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Something wrong with grabbing info from the Net? I happen to be a very busy woman and that's the fastest way for me to keep up.
    That would depend on what you're grabbing.

NYYF Legend

Storm Over Leyte by John Prados.
    It is about the destruction of the IJN during the Invasion of the Philippines in 1944 that resulted in the largest sea battle during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    That would depend on what you're grabbing.
    There was a book we had to study and an entrance exam we had to take to be indoctrinated into Trumpism. Chapter 16 was things you can grab and not grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    There was a book we had to study and an entrance exam we had to take to be indoctrinated into Trumpism. Chapter 16 was things you can grab and not grab.
    well played

Started reading Richard Sandomir's "Pride of the Yankees". Book about the making of the movie about Lou Gehrig.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I listened to Stephen King's Revival the other day as I painted my living room. It wasn't one of my favorites of his, even though it was a great character piece, and was clearly King's thoughts on mortality as he enters his mid-60s, but there wasn't enough there there. I was hoping for more horror elements or set pieces. It was basically akin to the middle 1/3 of 11/22/69 where Jake is just living in the 60s. Great stuff but not why you buy the book. At least with 11/22/69 all that paid off in the end.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Started reading Richard Sandomir's "Pride of the Yankees". Book about the making of the movie about Lou Gehrig.
    I ordered it today.

Thread Information