+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What are you reading in 2017?

New thread for the new year I guess.

I'm 90% sure none of my history classes in HS or college even mentioned Henry Wallace.

Seems like a cool guy. Just ordered American Dreamer: A Life of Henry A. Wallace.

It's also way past time to read a good Teddy Roosevelt biography. If anyone has a suggestion on that front, I'd be glad to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    New thread for the new year I guess.

I'm 90% sure none of my history classes in HS or college even mentioned Henry Wallace.

Seems like a cool guy. Just ordered American Dreamer: A Life of Henry A. Wallace.

It's also way past time to read a good Teddy Roosevelt biography. If anyone has a suggestion on that front, I'd be glad to hear it.
    Theres a two-volume biography by Edmund Morris that's supposed to be excellent. I haven't read it, but it's on my shelf.

Re: What are you reading in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Theres a two-volume biography by Edmund Morris that's supposed to be excellent. I haven't read it, but it's on my shelf.
    I'm seeing a trilogy, but it does appear to be well received.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I'm seeing a trilogy, but it does appear to be well received.
    Well, I didn't read the first two, so I didn't know there was a third. Or something.

Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer.
    The Whistler - John Grisham

Not bad. Not what I thought it was going to be, but his usual style.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I started Ken Follett's century trilogy. Not sure if I'll do all three in a row or not. They appear to be quite dense. I'm only 100 pages in to the first one but it's very richly detailed and well written (as expected).

20161129_210642.jpg

This is the winter reading.

I read the first of the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, which was exceptional. I'm currently reading Red Rising, part of a YA series that is supposed to be very good. I'm okay with it so far but not totally into it. After that one it will probably be back to Mistborn.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Attachment 22943

This is the winter reading.
    Did you read Moonglow yet?
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Did you read Moonglow yet?
    I have not. Huge Chabon fan, though, so looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I have not. Huge Chabon fan, though, so looking forward to it.
    About to start PD James Devices and Desires book tonight. I like British murder mysteries.

Evicted, by Matthew Desmond. A great look at the interplay of housing and poverty. It looks at the issue by following a number of people in Milwaukee - white, black, tenant, landlord. The cast of characters gets a little difficult to keep track of at times, but it's well written and makes it impossible to see poverty in quite the same way.

I'm also reading lots of comics to keep my office well-stocked for my kids. Superman: American Alien is the best Superman comic I've ever read, period. I'm also reading a mammoth collection of Invincible, which is lots of fun.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Evicted, by Matthew Desmond. A great look at the interplay of housing and poverty. It looks at the issue by following a number of people in Milwaukee - white, black, tenant, landlord. The cast of characters gets a little difficult to keep track of at times, but it's well written and makes it impossible to see poverty in quite the same way.

I'm also reading lots of comics to keep my office well-stocked for my kids. Superman: American Alien is the best Superman comic I've ever read, period. I'm also reading a mammoth collection of Invincible, which is lots of fun.
    Your above-and-beyond commitment to your profession is commendable. Such sacrifice and diligence!
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Your above-and-beyond commitment to your profession is commendable. Such sacrifice and diligence!
    Thanks for noticing. I'm dedicated to doing whatever I have to do to take care of my kids, and if that means reading lots of comic books, well, it's all about the kids. It's a dirty job, but I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't go that extra mile.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thanks for noticing. I'm dedicated to doing whatever I have to do to take care of my kids, and if that means reading lots of comic books, well, it's all about the kids. It's a dirty job, but I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't go that extra mile.
    Bravo! Teacher? I taught Special Ed right after college.

I just switched to a book that I can read on my commute and finish in a day or 2 but it's pretty good so far. I love grisly Brit murder mysteries. :-D

For Reasons Unknown - Michael Wood

I recently started When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold Kushner.

After that, I plan to start on the Carrie Fisher oeuvre, based on the recommendation of Trish and others on FB. I recently received Wishful Drinking and Postcards From the Edge is on its way.

NYYF Legend

Hitler Ascent 1889-1939 by Volker Ullrich.
    Around 400 pages in and it is one of the best books that I have read on how, why, etc.. one of the worlds greatest tragedies was ever able to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Around 400 pages in and it is one of the best books that I have read on how, why, etc.. one of the worlds greatest tragedies was ever able to happen.
    I think Jake Tapper is working on the sequel which will be out in 2020 with hopefully a happier ending.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Cool, right up my alley. Big Russian Revolution geek, but this should fit right in with Lenin and Stalin stuff I have read.

Back to fiction, Paul Auster has a new book "4-3-2-1" coming out end of the month. Brooklyn guy, tremendous, tremendous writer.

Since Fall of Giants is so dense, in between chapters I'm reading some of What If: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions

https://www.amazon.com/What-If-Scien...ical+questions

Finished Fall of Giants. It was a wonderfully written, expertly researched and thoroughly entertaining story of the first 25 years of the 1900s. I highly recommend it. I learned more about WWI than I ever did in school.

Now for something lighter I'm reading Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN
    http://a.co/3bOIGa1

I just ordered 1984. I've never read it before.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Should have gotten it from the library. Use them, while they still exist.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I have not either but I'm think of grabbing the copy off my daughter's shelf.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information