+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: What are you reading in 2017?

Currently reading:

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker - the book that is the basis for the Hellraiser movie series. It's more of a novella, only 160 pages so it's going quick. He's a great writer. Never really dug the movies but I am enjoying this book.

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow - after jumping on the Hamilton train last year and reading Chernow's biography that inspired the musical I decided to read his Pulitzer winning, even longer, biography of Washington. Thankfully they had it on audible so I used my credit for that. Not only did it save me money but there's no way I'd get through the 41 hour running time in a 3 week loan from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I think you're going to like it.
    So I finished it a couple of days ago. Some general thoughts (feel free to ask other specific questions while it's still fresh in my head if you were wondering about anything in particular that I don't cover here.)

It's an excellent book that I did not hesitate to give five stars on Goodreads. That being said, I think the comparisons to The Stand are completely unavoidable and might have hurt my perception of the book ever so slightly. I didn't feel that the characters, while strong, felt quite as real and fleshed out as those in The Stand. The ending knocked The Stand's ending out of the water, but I didn't think the first 4/5ths or so was quite as good. I thought the scene with the escaped mental patients complete with midget in a shopping cart was entertaining but a bit over the top apocalyptic hacky, and in general it might have been a bit more tropey when it comes to apocalyptic tropes, but that was a pretty minor flaw. Really enjoyed it, though. Great stuff.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

5 stars from Kevin! Nice! I knew you'd like it! It's a pretty amazing book. I've read a few of his others. "Boys Life" is pretty good also. He's a good author but "Swan Song" is by far his best. It's a great blend of sci-fi and horror.

If you're up for more of that genre, I recommend you check out "Earth Abides" and "A Canticle for Leibowitz". The latter being the better book, imo.

In case anybody wants to get in on the Stormlight Archive ahead of the 3rd book's release this fall.

http://www.tor.com/2017/03/20/march-...-way-of-kings/

Renowned fantasy author Brandon Sanderson returns in November 2017 with Oathbringer, the third volume in his Stormlight Archive series, the seminal work in his multi-faceted and ambitious Cosmere series of magical worlds.

Now is the perfect time to begin your journey through that universe.

Tor.com is offering a free download of the ebook edition of The Way of Kings, the first volume of Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive, on March 23rd and 24th, 2017!

I can't read a book series unless all the books are out.

I can't remember what happened a year later when they release a new book.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I can't read a book series unless all the books are out.

I can't remember what happened a year later when they release a new book.
    Yeah I'm usually that way too. I don't have time to re-read these 1000 page books either. Thankfully now there's podcasts that recap the books so I can get caught up/refreshed in a few hours instead of a 50 hour read or listen.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Yeah I'm usually that way too. I don't have time to re-read these 1000 page books either. Thankfully now there's podcasts that recap the books so I can get caught up/refreshed in a few hours instead of a 50 hour read or listen.
    Oh that's a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Oh that's a good idea.
    Here's one for fantasy/sci-fi books.

http://www.thelegendariumpodcast.com/

Between that and reddit I can read book 3 without re-reading the first two (which were over 1,000 pages each).

5 stars from Kevin! Nice! I knew you'd like it! It's a pretty amazing book. I've read a few of his others. "Boys Life" is pretty good also. He's a good author but "Swan Song" is by far his best. It's a great blend of sci-fi and horror.

If you're up for more of that genre, I recommend you check out "Earth Abides" and "A Canticle for Leibowitz". The latter being the better book, imo.
    Added the first one to my odiously unmanageable list of books to read. The second one was already there evidently.
    -Kevin

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Added the first one to my odiously unmanageable list of books to read. The second one was already there evidently.
    Not surprising. When I was searching for recommended books in that genre a while back I actually stumbled upon a list of books that were recommended reading for college courses. That particular one was on that list, as well as on a number of top rated books on most of the genre lists. And imo, it deserved it. So you having it in yours makes sense if you've been looking around or had in the past.

Also, you're odiously unmanageable.

So you having it in yours makes sense

If you're the man from Nantucket.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Currently reading "The Nix" which is very fun and enjoyable. I think it was on a bunch of best of 2016 lists.
    I am about 250 pages in. Really, really enjoying it- this is one hell of a debut offering.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I am about 250 pages in. Really, really enjoying it- this is one hell of a debut offering.
    Yeah he's really good with language and description.

Has anyone read Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King? It's available for me as an audiobook from my library but I just started listening to a 42 hour bio of Washington so I don't want to put that on hold for 2 weeks if I don't have to.

Yeah he's really good with language and description.

Has anyone read Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King? It's available for me as an audiobook from my library but I just started listening to a 42 hour bio of Washington so I don't want to put that on hold for 2 weeks if I don't have to.
    That trilogy by King is good but not really anything too special by King's standards. Worth reading if you're a King fan, though.
    -Kevin

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    That trilogy by King is good but not really anything too special by King's standards. Worth reading if you're a King fan, though.

Damned monarchist.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

In case anybody wants to get in on the Stormlight Archive ahead of the 3rd book's release this fall.

http://www.tor.com/2017/03/20/march-...-way-of-kings/

Renowned fantasy author Brandon Sanderson returns in November 2017 with Oathbringer, the third volume in his Stormlight Archive series, the seminal work in his multi-faceted and ambitious Cosmere series of magical worlds.

Now is the perfect time to begin your journey through that universe.

Tor.com is offering a free download of the ebook edition of The Way of Kings, the first volume of Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive, on March 23rd and 24th, 2017!
    Thanks, I just did this. I figure it deserves a bump since now we are in the 48-hour window. Here is a more direct link:

http://giveaway.tor.com/
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Thanks, I just did this. I figure it deserves a bump since now we are in the 48-hour window. Here is a more direct link:

http://giveaway.tor.com/
    Really cool of them to do this. Also, only way to read these books is on a Kindle. The three books so far have been 1,048; 1,080; and 1264 pages.

Reading "The Cubs Way" by Tom Verducci. Interesting read about how the Cubs of 2016 were built and Epstein and Hoyer's plan from first day on the job in 2012. Very interesting read.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Have you finished it? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Reading "The Cubs Way" by Tom Verducci. Interesting read about how the Cubs of 2016 were built and Epstein and Hoyer's plan from first day on the job in 2012. Very interesting read.
    Ugh, I don't think I could read a 300 page ballwashing of Theo Epstein.

Ugh, I don't think I could read a 300 page ballwashing of Theo Epstein.
    More than Theo though. Though with Theo the man responsible for ending Boston and the Cubs long droughts I think warrants it
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    More than Theo though. Though with Theo the man responsible for ending Boston and the Cubs long droughts I think warrants it
    Eh. He's just lucky.

Picked up Anathem by Stephenson....no idea what it's about, but was $2 on kindle.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Finished the Cubs book. Very good read. Now on to Marry Appel's latest "Casey Stengel: Baseball's Greatest Character".

Just started "Hillbilly Elegy" by JD Vance which was on a ton of best of lists last year.

http://a.co/hew9NeS

From a former marine and Yale Law School graduate, a powerful account of growing up in a poor Rust Belt town that offers a broader, probing look at the struggles of America’s white working class

Hillbilly Elegy is a passionate and personal analysis of a culture in crisis—that of white working-class Americans. The decline of this group, a demographic of our country that has been slowly disintegrating over forty years, has been reported on with growing frequency and alarm, but has never before been written about as searingly from the inside. J. D. Vance tells the true story of what a social, regional, and class decline feels like when you were born with it hung around your neck.

The Vance family story begins hopefully in postwar America. J. D.’s grandparents were “dirt poor and in love,” and moved north from Kentucky’s Appalachia region to Ohio in the hopes of escaping the dreadful poverty around them. They raised a middle-class family, and eventually their grandchild (the author) would graduate from Yale Law School, a conventional marker of their success in achieving generational upward mobility.

But as the family saga of Hillbilly Elegy plays out, we learn that this is only the short, superficial version. Vance’s grandparents, aunt, uncle, sister, and, most of all, his mother, struggled profoundly with the demands of their new middle-class life, and were never able to fully escape the legacy of abuse, alcoholism, poverty, and trauma so characteristic of their part of America. Vance piercingly shows how he himself still carries around the demons of their chaotic family history.

A deeply moving memoir with its share of humor and vividly colorful figures, Hillbilly Elegy is the story of how upward mobility really feels. And it is an urgent and troubling meditation on the loss of the American dream for a large segment of this country.

I will finally finish it tonight, only 20 or so pages left. Still really liking it, though for me, a book is only as good as its ending. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thread Information