+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: What are you reading in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Thanks for the input on the freebie.

Also, it looks like I need to learn more about my kindle.
    The process of getting Kindle books from most libraries couldn't be much easier. Sometimes you have to wait and sometimes they won't have a book you want (especially if it's older or more obscure), but it's such an easy process.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    No good? I thought Huxley supposedly was one of the greatest 20th century writers.

This looks interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors_of_Perception

I don't think I know of anyone who's read any Huxley book other than Brave New World, and I don't think I've often heard of him cited as one of the greatest 20th-century writers. (Links unnecessary. I'm sure they exist, and they don't change what I said.)

He and C. S. Lewis were among the unluckiest writers of the 20th century in one way. Both died on November 22, 1963, so no one outside their families even noticed.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't think I know of anyone who's read any Huxley book other than Brave New World, and I don't think I've often heard of him cited as one of the greatest 20th-century writers. (Links unnecessary. I'm sure they exist, and they don't change what I said.)

He and C. S. Lewis were among the unluckiest writers of the 20th century in one way. Both died on November 22, 1963, so no one outside their families even noticed.
    Did not know that. I have also read The Doors of Perception (Jim Morrison's inspiration) & Heaven and Hell - not really for anybody who hasn't expanded their mind, if you know what I mean. The Devils of Loudon is actually an account of a true story about an entire convent falling under demonic possession in Loudon, France in the late 1800's and is a pretty compelling read.

I agree, he wasn't a "great writer," but he did write a couple of very good books.

He was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in seven different years.[10]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley

Interesting fact about his and Lewis' deaths. Of course, I guess it didn't matter to them.

Yep. Not surprised.

Have you read it, Tim?
    On my own in grade school. I found my brother's copy lying around the house. I was more of an intellectual then than I am now, where I tend to prefer junk.

We studied Animal Farm in high school, not 1984.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley

Interesting fact about his and Lewis' deaths. Of course, I guess it didn't matter to them.
    Being nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature isn't nearly as big a deal as you might think. You can poke around the nomination database and get an idea: http://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/archive/

From 1901 to 1966, there were 3104 nomination for the Nobel Prize in Literature.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Being nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature isn't nearly as big a deal as you might think. You can poke around the nomination database and get an idea: http://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/archive/

From 1901 to 1966, there were 3104 nomination for the Nobel Prize in Literature.
    Considering the many billions of people on this earth from his lifetime until now, I'd say that's still a rather elite list. Plus he was nominated 7 times.

Considering the many billions of people on this earth from his lifetime until now, I'd say that's still a rather elite list. Plus he was nominated 7 times.
    I'm pretty sure a lot of people were nominated 7 times. Some of them even won.

Yes, 3104 out of billions is a small percentage. It still falls short of "one of the greatest writers." He wrote a very famous book that, I discovered, hasn't aged all that well. I've never heard him mentioned as one of the elite 20th-century writers.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm pretty sure a lot of people were nominated 7 times. Some of them even won.

Yes, 3104 out of billions is a small percentage. It still falls short of "one of the greatest writers." He wrote a very famous book that, I discovered, hasn't aged all that well. I've never heard him mentioned as one of the elite 20th-century writers.
    You really are difficult. And you haven't aged all that well.

You really are difficult. And you haven't aged all that well.
    I'm being difficult? You're insisting on making the case for the all-century greatness of an author you've never read.

And you haven't aged all that well, either. At least I'm not living in a retirement community.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm being difficult? You're insisting on making the case for the all-century greatness of an author you've never read.

And you haven't aged all that well, either. At least I'm not living in a retirement community.
    That's where people age the best.

I think it's terrific that at your advanced age you still have your freedom.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty certain I was not assigned Fahrenheit 451, and I don't remember if I was assigned the others. I certainly read them all, though.
    I was assigned 1984 and Brave New World but not Fahrenheit 451. I enjoyed 1984 but I couldn't get into Brave New World and ending up reading the Sparknotes for it.

Addicted Member

Sadly, I finished book #10, The Flame Bearer by Bernard Cornwell just last week. The whole series of 10 books was great. The author left a tidbit of hope for me in the last sentence, '...his story is also unfinished.'
    Happy 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think it's terrific that at your advanced age you still have your freedom.
    nice

nice
    You are a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Thanks for the input on the freebie.

Also, it looks like I need to learn more about my kindle.
    Check your library's website.

The info is usually there.

In my case, I just had to sign up using my library card number, and it's linked through another website to my Amazon account, where the books I've requested show up and I manage from there. The best part is you don't have to return anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Check your library's website.

The info is usually there.

In my case, I just had to sign up using my library card number, and it's linked through another website to my Amazon account, where the books I've requested show up and I manage from there. The best part is you don't have to return anything.
    Do you mean they let you borrow it for as long as you want, or were you talking about how it's nice to not have to go to/from the library itself?

My library system has tons of kindle books, as well as audiobooks that play through an app called Overdrive. It's great.

I liked Brave New World.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Do you mean they let you borrow it for as long as you want, or were you talking about how it's nice to not have to go to/from the library itself?

My library system has tons of kindle books, as well as audiobooks that play through an app called Overdrive. It's great.
    I think Overdrive is used very widely. That's what we have here, too.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I think Overdrive is used very widely. That's what we have here, too.
    same here
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post

I meant physically return, and that nothing is ever late.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I liked Brave New World.
    As did I and tens of thousands of others.

You are a bad person.
    muggs said it. I just agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I liked Brave New World.
    Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post

So did I, when I was 13. Now, not so much.

Jenn will love it, if only to spite me.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information