+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancestry DNA

Ancestry DNA

Has anyone here done this or the similar 23 and Me? Any surprises? I just got my kit in the mail and will be mailing it back tomorrow.

Re: Ancestry DNA

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Has anyone here done this or the similar 23 and Me? Any surprises? I just got my kit in the mail and will be mailing it back tomorrow.
    I don't really trust the reliability of the science behind these places: http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/201...-from-your-dna

Besides - and this is a serious question - what are you interested in finding out from this? I mean, I know where my grandparents came from, and I can figure that their grandparents, at least, came from similar areas. I also know that, if you go back far enough, someone came from Africa. In between, I can assume there was a fair amount of wandering around. Huge areas were invaded and conquered by Greeks, Romans, Huns, Mongols, Turks and so on. I'd be surprised if bits and pieces of a lot of those things didn't show up somewhere in my background (though maybe not my DNA).

So...what's the question you're looking to answer?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't really trust the reliability of the science behind these places: http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/201...-from-your-dna

Besides - and this is a serious question - what are you interested in finding out from this? I mean, I know where my grandparents came from, and I can figure that their grandparents, at least, came from similar areas. I also know that, if you go back far enough, someone came from Africa. In between, I can assume there was a fair amount of wandering around. Huge areas were invaded and conquered by Greeks, Romans, Huns, Mongols, Turks and so on. I'd be surprised if bits and pieces of a lot of those things didn't show up somewhere in my background (though maybe not my DNA).

I hadn't seen that article, but it is interesting. For me, it's just for fun. I've always been told that I have some Native American (Cherokee) ancestry, and I'm curious if that is true. They can't distinguish between tribes, though, from what I've read. I know my mom is mostly German with some English. She's done lots of genealogy. My dad's family history is more murky.

I also read that it is pointless for certain populations, such as Asians. One guy commented on an article that he knew he was Korean, but wanted to see if there were Japanese ancestry in his background, too. The test just said 100% East Asian, which didn't help him at all. I guess they don't have enough samples from that group of people. There are real limitations.

Anyway, as I said, I just think it's fun.

I hadn't seen that article, but it is interesting. For me, it's just for fun. I've always been told that I have some Native American (Cherokee) ancestry, and I'm curious if that is true. They can't distinguish between tribes, though, from what I've read. I know my mom is mostly German with some English. She's done lots of genealogy. My dad's family history is more murky.

I also read that it is pointless for certain populations, such as Asians. One guy commented on an article that he knew he was Korean, but wanted to see if there were Japanese ancestry in his background, too. The test just said 100% East Asian, which didn't help him at all. I guess they don't have enough samples from that group of people. There are real limitations.

No lie - even thought I gave you a hard time in the other thread, this actually happened - not trolling.

My kids slept in until 10:30 on Christmas day but we were up watching TV. My wife kept looking at the gifts and thought my daughter's looked inequitable to my son's (first world problem, yes.) So last minute she went online and ordered the test from 23 and me.

Turned out to be her favorite gift. We got the kit already and sent it back in.

My grandfather grew up in Ireland, and only recently we figured out he was actually Scottish and likely not Irish. Test could be fun.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I trust it and I really don't care all that much what my ancestry is. What I've been told is good enough for me.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Me, I got a bunch of Jews from the Pale of Settlement. One branch came to the US from Warsaw, but I figure they came from Germany earlier because the name was Landau.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    No lie - even thought I gave you a hard time in the other thread, this actually happened - not trolling.

My kids slept in until 10:30 on Christmas day but we were up watching TV. My wife kept looking at the gifts and thought my daughter's looked inequitable to my son's (first world problem, yes.) So last minute she went online and ordered the test from 23 and me.

Turned out to be her favorite gift. We got the kit already and sent it back in.

My grandfather grew up in Ireland, and only recently we figured out he was actually Scottish and likely not Irish. Test could be fun.
    That's cool. I'm glad she liked it! And I didn't think you were trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how much I trust it and I really don't care all that much what my ancestry is. What I've been told is good enough for me.
    I told a coworker that I ordered the kit with an amazon gift card that I got for Christmas. She said her 80-something mom had mentioned wanting to do it. She said that she told her mom, "Your whole identity is based on being 100% Irish. You've gone to Ireland to learn more about your family history. What would happen if you found out that wasn't true?" Her mom said that was a good point and decided not to do it.

Me, I got a bunch of Jews from the Pale of Settlement. One branch came to the US from Warsaw, but I figure they came from Germany earlier because the name was Landau.
    Eric said his result was 100% white Jew. Your result likely would be the same.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

FWIW, i read an article somewhere this past week detailing they're having issues getting it setup in the UK because it has some very dubious stuff involved.

no idea how true this is.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    FWIW, i read an article somewhere this past week detailing they're having issues getting it setup in the UK because it has some very dubious stuff involved.

What kind of dubious stuff?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post

From our experience I tend to believe that. Just over a year ago, a very close relative sent in their DNA & it confirmed what we already knew about our family history, mostly English & Irish.

The scary part was it claimed she had a genetic marker for CF. I guess it's possible, but no where in our recorded family history going back almost 200 years is there any historical indication of any ancestor who died of symptoms even close to CF. Consumption, heart attacks, TB, strokes but nothing like CF. Sure, it's possible that it was overlooked, but for the most part all it did was cause some short term anxiety as we scrambled to do some re-examination.

We decided it was an error of epic proportions.
    Happy 2017!

I'm not really terribly interested in this, even if I was sure it was accurate. I would love to have someone do a full genealogy on my past like they do on those shows for celebrities that I've never actually watched but am aware exist, but I wouldn't find the basic background all that interesting. Hope you learn something interesting, though.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

My uncle gave me some of his DNA when I was 8 once. Does that count?
    Fire Tanaka

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Not if you closed your eyes.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Not if you closed your eyes.
    They weren't closed but pretty covered.
    Fire Tanaka

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I'm not really terribly interested in this, even if I was sure it was accurate. I would love to have someone do a full genealogy on my past like they do on those shows for celebrities that I've never actually watched but am aware exist, but I wouldn't find the basic background all that interesting. Hope you learn something interesting, though.
    You crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Only you would take this thread in this direction.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Eric said his result was 100% white Jew. Your result likely would be the same.
    Yup, this was me:

REGION, APPROXIMATE AMOUNT
    Europe 97%
    European Jewish 89%
    Great Britain 3%
    Italy/Greece 3%
    Iberian Peninsula < 1%
    Europe East < 1%

West Asia 3%
    Caucasus 3%

So 97% European, plus 3% from the Caucasus region where the word Caucasian comes from...so 100% white Jew. $80 to find that out...
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

NYYF Legend

I wonder how many people have used one of these and found out that they're adopted or, oops, dad isn't dad.

NYYF Legend

I'd like to try it sometime. Legend has it, my paternal grandfather was Jewish. I'd love to be able to bring the truth to the next family reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I wonder how many people have used one of these and found out that they're adopted or, oops, dad isn't dad.
    I wondered this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I'd like to try it sometime. Legend has it, my paternal grandfather was Jewish. I'd love to be able to bring the truth to the next family reunion.
    Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    You wouldn't be able to tell unless you compared your DNA directly with dad's. Or the milkman's. (Durk and Muggs and I remember milkmen.)
    - Barry Manilow

You wouldn't be able to tell unless you compared your DNA directly with dad's. Or the milkman's. (Durk and Muggs and I remember milkmen.)
    Our milkman's name was George. I remember him being a cranky old guy. Oh crap.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I'm thinking about it, if only to verify my father's understanding of his natural birth lineage (he's adopted)...

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    From our experience I tend to believe that. Just over a year ago, a very close relative sent in their DNA & it confirmed what we already knew about our family history, mostly English & Irish.

The scary part was it claimed she had a genetic marker for CF. I guess it's possible, but no where in our recorded family history going back almost 200 years is there any historical indication of any ancestor who died of symptoms even close to CF. Consumption, heart attacks, TB, strokes but nothing like CF. Sure, it's possible that it was overlooked, but for the most part all it did was cause some short term anxiety as we scrambled to do some re-examination.

We decided it was an error of epic proportions.
    A lot of people have latent, genetic markers for Cystic Fibrosis. It's an autosomal recessive disorder, which means the child needs both parents to have the trait for it to pass to it and then there's a roll of the dice if the child develops the disease (the gene becomes expressed rather than latent).

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

What kind of dubious stuff?
    "dubious" perhaps was not the best word. more like "inaccurate" & with some sceptical practices for covering up known errors.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

What if the milkman was a milkwoman? WHAT THEN.

(Answer: Then she probably wouldn't be your father.)

Thread Information