+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ancestry DNA

Re: Ancestry DNA

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Cumberland Farms, wow, I forgot about them. They used to sell me cigarettes when I was 15.
    You're missing out on their fancy "Chill Zone" now. Well, it's still a Cumby.

(I don't mind their buck coffee)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I know we "spoke" about this on FB Jenn (and others) but I did both Ancestry and 23 and Me because as an adoptee I wanted to see what my ethnicity really was beyond what my parents told me. And also to see if any close relatives were on either (they are not, but I was able to figure out a few things about where other ones might be, several distant cousins have been helpful).

I also applied to receive my original birth certificate from the state as we can do that in NJ as of Jan 1.

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    I know we "spoke" about this on FB Jenn (and others) but I did both Ancestry and 23 and Me because as an adoptee I wanted to see what my ethnicity really was beyond what my parents told me. And also to see if any close relatives were on either (they are not, but I was able to figure out a few things about where other ones might be, several distant cousins have been helpful).

I also applied to receive my original birth certificate from the state as we can do that in NJ as of Jan 1.
    Was it pretty much what your parents told you?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Was it pretty much what your parents told you?

Not really but they probably didn't know much either. I was told I was half Scottish and half German.

Looking at family trees and other stuff I've gleaned from my genetic cousins, I'm fairly certain at least my birth-mother's lineage was colonial American. The farthest ancestor back was born in England in 16 something and died in Connecticut.

Ancestry has me as:

72% Great Britain
    13% Ireland
    15% Other regions (Scandinavia 4%, Europe East 4%, Italy Greece 4%, <1% each Iberian Pen., Europe West, Caucasus).

23 and Me has me as:

Northwestern European 99.3%:

British & Irish 71.7%

French & German 7.9%

Scandinavian 1.6%

Broadly Northwestern European 18.2%

.3 North African which I think everyone is.

How great would it be if Jenn found out that she's related to Justice Scalia....or even worse, Donald Trump?

I'd pay good money to see her reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    How great would it be if Jenn found out that she's related to Justice Scalia....or even worse, Donald Trump?

I'd pay good money to see her reaction.
    She'd probably go put on a pantsuit or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    at the very least, hopefully something
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Indeed. Also, his comment is more of his usual garbage. There's zero reason to make this thread political, so of course he tried to do it.

Who cares if I were related to them? It wouldn't change the despicable human beings they were/are, would it? It certainly wouldn't change my thoughts about them.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    at the very least, hopefully something
    Yes.

Somewhat related/per my previous post: I got my original birth certificate in the mail yesterday. I must have been immaculately conceived, as the father's fields are completely blank. Not redacted, just blank. OH WELL!

Nothing else was very surprising (I've known my b-mother's name for quite some time thanks to my sister being a snoop in my parent's safe. I figured out that she passed away in 2005). But I learned where they lived--next town over from where I grew up so our paths very easily could have crossed. A lot of other stuff I found out last night thanks to the interwebs which was so strange. Namely, that she got married two years after I was born to someone who I am pretty sure was not my b-father, but, who happened to live in the small boro where I live now; and they went to live there after the marriage (I found the newspaper clipping about the wedding). She got married again and had children with someone else, not sure if any kids were born of the first marriage though.

Anyway, this is not going to change my life much but it does clear up some missing pieces of my history.

I got my results yesterday and I'm officially the whitest person alive. Boring. My dad's family stories about Native American ancestry apparently are not true.

I'm rather surprised about the Irish being so much greater a percentage than British. (It explains my dad's red hair in his youth and my daughter's red hair, I guess!) My mom's paternal grandpa's family came from Nottingham, England.

Anyhow, yes, I'm essentially Western European. No surprise there. Someday I'll spring for the 23andMe test to see if the results are similar.

EUROPE 100%

70% Europe West
    12% Europe East
    10% Ireland
    3% Scandinavia
    2% Great Britain
    1% Italy/Greece
    1% Finland/Northwest Russia
    1% Iberian Peninsula

I've been wanting to do this. I don't anticipate anything shocking but I'm curious.

I got my results yesterday and I'm officially the whitest person alive. Boring. My dad's family stories about Native American ancestry apparently are not true.

I'm rather surprised about the Irish being so much greater a percentage than British. (It explains my dad's red hair in his youth and my daughter's red hair, I guess!) My mom's paternal grandpa's family came from Nottingham, England.

Anyhow, yes, I'm essentially Western European. No surprise there. Someday I'll spring for the 23andMe test to see if the results are similar.

EUROPE 100%

70% Europe West
    12% Europe East
    10% Ireland
    3% Scandinavia
    2% Great Britain
    1% Italy/Greece
    1% Iberian Peninsula
    you are a piece of work. You're white you poor thing. Why do you sound so disappointed? Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    you are a piece of work. You're white you poor thing. Why do you sound so disappointed? Damn!
    You're reading way too much into what I posted.

You're reading way too much into what I posted.
    not sure I am.

not sure I am.
    But I'm the one who posted it, and I said that you are.

EUROPE 100%

70% Europe West
    12% Europe East
    10% Ireland
    3% Scandinavia
    2% Great Britain
    1% Italy/Greece
    1% Iberian Peninsula
    I hope you wear a lot of sunscreen.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I hope you wear a lot of sunscreen.
    I stay inside a lot.

But I'm the one who posted it, and I said that you are]
    sure, sure.

NYYF Legend

I would love to see a reputable research organization like DARPA or say MIT, institute a study on Ancestry's findings to see just how accurate they are or how accurate DNA studies to determine a persons background really are. I am skeptical

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I would love to see a reputable research organization like DARPA or say MIT, institute a study on Ancestry's findings to see just how accurate they are or how accurate DNA studies to determine a persons background really are. I am skeptical

Andy
    You should be. However, the DNA is collected and matched against regional markers (or something like that), so it's essentially probablistic, not resolute.
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    You should be. However, the DNA is collected and matched against regional markers (or something like that), so it's essentially probablistic, not resolute.
    But it's also matched against present-day regional markers (or something like that), which may or may not coincide with regional markers from the past.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

EUROPE 100%

70% Europe West
    12% Europe East
    10% Ireland
    3% Scandinavia
    2% Great Britain
    1% Italy/Greece
    1% Iberian Peninsula
    I just remembered were discussing this on here - did you get a notification from Ancestry that they can now trace "Genetic Communities?"

I'm "very likely" connected to early settlers of New York. Which is sort of cool I guess, and does seem to corroborate some of the other stuff I've been able to stalk via my b-mother's side.

I bought a dna kit for my son's dog as a gift. Only in America.

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    I just remembered were discussing this on here - did you get a notification from Ancestry that they can now trace "Genetic Communities?"

I'm "very likely" connected to early settlers of New York. Which is sort of cool I guess, and does seem to corroborate some of the other stuff I've been able to stalk via my b-mother's side.
    I didn't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I bought a dna kit for my son's dog as a gift. Only in America.
    Do you send a dog hair or something?

not sure I am.
    you aren't.. her posting pattern speaks for itself.

Thread Information