+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancestry DNA

Re: Ancestry DNA

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    "dubious" perhaps was not the best word. more like "inaccurate" & with some sceptical practices for covering up known errors.
    I'm skeptical about your spelling of "skeptical." Freaking Brits, acting like it's their language and stuff.

I initially put "sceptical" in quotes, but it was corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    What if the milkman was a milkwoman? WHAT THEN.

(Answer: Then she probably wouldn't be your father.)
    There were no milkwomen. Women were home, taking care of the kids, and waiting for the milkman to deliver the milk (and whatever else).
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I did this about five years ago. It came back showing one of my first cousins once removed as being my closest relative in the database so that gave me some confidence in that part of it.

As far as the ancestry part it goes, I had always been told that I was 100% Swedish on both sides of the family. The report came back showing me as 63% from Scandinavia, 14% Ireland, 10% Finland/Northwest Russia, 4% Eastern European, 3% Italy/Greece, 2% each for Great Britain, Western Europe and Iberian Peninsula.

So, what does that mean? Hard to say. I may be 100% Swedish going back 200 or 300 years but go back farther than that and I had some migratory ancestors. So, with no way to timestamp the regions, I didn't find it all that interesting.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    (Durk and Muggs and I remember milkmen.)
    Remember? What's to remember? The milkman comes to the door at 4:00 every Monday morning. You people back East don't do this anymore? How backward of you.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Remember? What's to remember? The milkman comes to the door at 4:00 every Monday morning. You people back East don't do this anymore? How backward of you.
    Comes to the door? Just put that milk in the milk chute, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I did this about five years ago. It came back showing one of my first cousins once removed as being my closest relative in the database so that gave me some confidence in that part of it.

As far as the ancestry part it goes, I had always been told that I was 100% Swedish on both sides of the family. The report came back showing me as 63% from Scandinavia, 14% Ireland, 10% Finland/Northwest Russia, 4% Eastern European, 3% Italy/Greece, 2% each for Great Britain, Western Europe and Iberian Peninsula.

So, what does that mean? Hard to say. I may be 100% Swedish going back 200 or 300 years but go back farther than that and I had some migratory ancestors. So, with no way to timestamp the regions, I didn't find it all that interesting.
    Wow, you're REALLY white.

Seriously, I think that's pretty interesting, even if you don't.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I'm thinking about it, if only to verify my father's understanding of his natural birth lineage (he's adopted)...

A lot of people have latent, genetic markers for Cystic Fibrosis. It's an autosomal recessive disorder, which means the child needs both parents to have the trait for it to pass to it and then there's a roll of the dice if the child develops the disease (the gene becomes expressed rather than latent).
    That's interesting. I guess that ties into what we learned that CF is likely expressed during very early childhood and once early adulthood is reached it's unlikely to be expressed (or something like that from what I can recall). So both parents have to carry that recessive gene. I just know that there was no known family history of CF - thank goodness. At least we learned something about this.
    Happy 2017!

This feels like a Big Brother database collecting scheme disguised as a helpful tool to learn about your past.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    This feels like a Big Brother database collecting scheme disguised as a helpful tool to learn about your past.
    It is a brave new world.

It is a brave new world.
    Different books.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Different books.
    thank you for clarifying I was stumped by the connection there. I knew where it was going but couldn't make it work for an adequate response. Lol

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

I'm skeptical about your spelling of "skeptical." Freaking Brits, acting like it's their language and stuff.

I initially put "sceptical" in quotes, but it was corrected.
    sceptical and skeptical are accepted versions on both sides of the atlantic. IIRC, sceptical is more common in the UK with skeptical first originating in the US.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Wow, you're REALLY white.
    At least my ancestors were.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Comes to the door? Just put that milk in the milk chute, please.
    Door? Chute? ...City people. He left ours at the end of the dirt road in an insulated metal box. I still keep my car wash stuff in it. Says "Raritan Valley Farms" on the side.

This is the one that went to Tom's house:

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Door? Chute? ...City people. He left ours at the end of the dirt road in an insulated metal box. I still keep my car wash stuff in it. Says "Raritan Valley Farms" on the side.

This is the one that went to Tom's house:

Ours came to the kitchen door, but it was in that metal box.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    sceptical and skeptical are accepted versions on both sides of the atlantic. IIRC, sceptical is more common in the UK with skeptical first originating in the US.
    "Sceptical" might be officially accepted by American dictionaries, but that's only because we know there are Brits around who can't spell. No American uses it except, perhaps, as an affectation.
    - Barry Manilow

Suspended

I for one appreciate the K rather than the C in s_epticism.

For seeing the C reminds me of the days when the dude in the truck with the ridiculously long hose would drag it around our house, dig up the area where the lid was, and empty our septic tank. Lots of science went on in the breaking down of the sewage too...That is, science, with a silent C.

I for one appreciate the K rather than the C in s_epticism.

For seeing the C reminds me of the days when the dude in the truck with the ridiculously long hose would drag it around our house, dig up the area where the lid was, and empty our septic tank. Lots of science went on in the breaking down of the sewage too...That is, science, with a silent C.
    We were lucky. Our vlllage had a municipal scewer system.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

You wouldn't be able to tell unless you compared your DNA directly with dad's. Or the milkman's. (Durk and Muggs and I remember milkmen.)
    When I was very young (like, under 5) we still had milk delivered by the Welsh Farms milkman. Big silver container on the stoop.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    When I was very young (like, under 5) we still had milk delivered by the Welsh Farms milkman. Big silver container on the stoop.
    This is why you're a welcome member of the Your "Holy sh*t I'm getting old" moment of the day Thread.

________________________________:________________________________________

We had milk delivered as well. Sometimes it froze and the bottle(s) broke... That was a mess and then we had to drink powdered mile til the next delivery. Yuck.

In our area Krauszer's killed the milkman trade.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I'm older than you, and I never had milk delivery. WTF.

Anyway, thanks to Dr John for turning this into the milkman nostalgia thread.

Suspended

We were lucky. Our vlllage had a municipal scewer system.
    We lived on a mountain in Glastonbury, CT about 7 or 8 miles from the town center. Ah the good old days. My father had a colonial built for approx $30k in 1969, and sold it in 1985 for approx $250k. He was smart enough to build on a property that abutted a watershed (there was a reservoir down the mountain directly behind the house about 1/2 mile)...When that mountain was finished being built out when I came back to visit in '95, you really could tell the difference between a backyard where you could see other backyards, or the ones along the watershed. Of course, when I noticed this, I was 25 years old, and no longer into playing flashlight tag, or having Star Trek away missions in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    This is why you're a welcome member of the Your "Holy sh*t I'm getting old" moment of the day Thread.

________________________________:________________________________________

We had milk delivered as well. Sometimes it froze and the bottle(s) broke... That was a mess and then we had to drink powdered mile til the next delivery. Yuck.

In our area Krauszer's killed the milkman trade.
    We got butter and eggs from the milkman.

I hated milk. Unless you put Bosco in it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

We lived on a mountain in Glastonbury, CT about 7 or 8 miles from the town center. Ah the good old days. My father had a colonial built for approx $30k in 1969, and sold it in 1985 for approx $250k. He was smart enough to build on a property that abutted a watershed (there was a reservoir down the mountain directly behind the house about 1/2 mile)...When that mountain was finished being built out when I came back to visit in '95, you really could tell the difference between a backyard where you could see other backyards, or the ones along the watershed. Of course, when I noticed this, I was 25 years old, and no longer into playing flashlight tag, or having Star Trek away missions in the woods.
    Isn't Laura Ingraham from Glastonbury, too?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I have virtually zero memory of anything that happened in my life at five. Hell its rare I remember anything from before my teens.

I do remember my mom and dad going to get the milk bottles refilled. Or maybe swapped the empty for filled. Not sure if we had a milk man per se.

Thread Information