+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Re: 2017 Yankee minor league news and notes..

Today's lineups and substitutions for Minor League Spring Training
    http://pinstripedprospects.com/today...itutions-19723
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Todays MiLB Spring Lineups and Substitutions
    http://pinstripedprospects.com/today...itutions-19771

Also where is everyone, it's been dead on here the last few days?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Todays MiLB Spring Lineups and Substitutions
    http://pinstripedprospects.com/today...itutions-19771

Also where is everyone, it's been dead on here the last few days?

I check in all the time, but there's not much to say until the games start, and we can see who is on what level.

Didi's injury potentially throws a wrench into things. I doubt Gleyber is the immediate answer though.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I check in all the time, but there's not much to say until the games start, and we can see who is on what level.

Didi's injury potentially throws a wrench into things. I doubt Gleyber is the immediate answer though.
    My money is on one of the AAA-depth guys. The Tejeda's, Kozma's, etc.

NYYF Legend

I can think of 2 other real possible scenarios:

Castro to SS, Refs starts at 2nd., or,
    Wade replaces Didi at SS.

Kozma has the glove. His hitting is in the Brendan Ryan area. Tejeda is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I can think of 2 other real possible scenarios:

Castro to SS, Refs starts at 2nd., or,
    Wade replaces Didi at SS.

Kozma has the glove. His hitting is in the Brendan Ryan area. Tejeda is a possibility.
    Tejeda/Castro combo with Ref as option at 2B

NYYF Legend

Could happen.

To me, the best hope is for Didi to be OK. We shall see, but I am not too optimistic.

Puke. That would be terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Think big picture, if it is a week or two then I am fine with that. No need to ruin the development timetable for that. It is the exact reason they sign these guys to milb deals as insurance just in case.

NYYF Legend

That was my immediate thought as well but apparently there is some speculation that Wade could get a shot.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Think big picture, if it is a week or two then I am fine with that. No need to ruin the development timetable for that. It is the exact reason they sign these guys to milb deals as insurance just in case.
    Who's developmental time would be ruined? Talking about a week or two is clearly not what we're dealing with, though, so don't really get that point. This was significant time we're talking.

And I am thinking big picture. Yankees fans have become so beholden to this notion that top prospects are fragile little beings who couldn't possibly come up and perform/adjust at the ML level. Many clubs do it. The Yankees can, too, when the player is capable.

Who's developmental time would be ruined? Talking about a week or two is clearly not what we're dealing with, though, so don't really get that point. This was significant time we're talking.

And I am thinking big picture. Yankees fans have become so beholden to this notion that top prospects are fragile little beings who couldn't possibly come up and perform/adjust at the ML level. Many clubs do it. The Yankees can, too, when the player is capable.
    They have no middle infield prospects that have experience in AAA yet. Wade is the closest to the majors but even he hasn't played about AA. Torres is definitely not ready yet. For several reasons, I wouldn't use a prospect including it would force them to speed up the development plan they have, start their free agent clock early, etc. Again stuff like this is the whole point you sign a guy like Tejeda or Kozma. A guy with MLB time and can fill in short term.

Yankees fans have become so beholden to this notion that top prospects are fragile little beings who couldn't possibly come up and perform/adjust at the ML level.
    It really doesn't have much to do with this, it has to do with starting guys' clocks earlier than necessary and adding them to the 40 man roster. Wade and Torres will both need to be added after the season, so that's not an issue in this case, but do we really want to start Gleyber's clock a year early if Didi is only going to be out a few weeks? I can see an argument for doing so, but I really don't think it has much to do with what you're saying in this quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    It really doesn't have much to do with this, it has to do with starting guys' clocks earlier than necessary and adding them to the 40 man roster. Wade and Torres will both need to be added after the season, so that's not an issue in this case, but do we really want to start Gleyber's clock a year early if Didi is only going to be out a few weeks? I can see an argument for doing so, but I really don't think it has much to do with what you're saying in this quote.
    No, this is precisely what I'm talking about. The obsession with arb clocks has become nauseating. It's not nearly as big an issue as you think it is.

OK, but that has nothing to do with the content of the post I quoted, it's a different issue.

What they do probably depends on how long Didi is out. In any case, Wade and Torres are different cases. I think the latter has been so impressive that the Yankees could be ready to make a move as early as this summer if he continues to hit in AA and they have a position that he can play regularly. But they are not going to have him play for a month and then send him back down.

But they envision Wade as a utility guy and he is older. His ST shows that he might be ready to make the jump over AAA. I think they could very well give him a shot if Didi is out for as much as 3 or 4 weeks. If he does well, he can stay up and replace Torreyes, who has not looked so good this spring. Players jump AAA all the time. The Yankees can do this with these guys.

I hope it is not Tejada or Kozma that gets called up to share time with Torreyes. And I will be very surprised if they go with Ref and move Castro to SS. I am hoping for Wade.

NYYF Legend

Are we really putting that much stock into ST stats though? Wade had a whopping .701 OPS for Trenton last season. He may not even be ready for AAA let alone the majors.

I agree that the hair raising over arbitration clock is overblown. The service time clock freezes if the player is optioned. The Sox weren't afraid to start the service time clock on Benintendi, Betts and Bogaerts before they had to and neither should the Yankees.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

True; Wade may not be ready. They certainly intended to keep him at AAA this year, playing him around the defense to develop him as a super utility guy. But if Didi is out for a month or more, what is the harm in seeing whether he can provide more than the mediocre offense of Tejada or the Ryanesque offense of Kozma? The harm is really only the risk of losing the 40 man slot because -- unlike Tejada or Kozma -- they would not release him if they had to send him down.

They like him because they know he is very athletic, has a great work and competitive ethic, and can handle SS defensively.

Torres is another matter. They need to be more sure he is ready.

This goes to show how important Didi is to the team. Hope it's not a serious injury.

NYYF Legend

Torreys could be the starting SS in that scenario and Tejada/Kozma could be DFA'd when Didi comes off the DL.

If that is the scenario it's not terrible.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Are we really putting that much stock into ST stats though? Wade had a whopping .701 OPS for Trenton last season. He may not even be ready for AAA let alone the majors.

I agree that the hair raising over arbitration clock is overblown. The service time clock freezes if the player is optioned. The Sox weren't afraid to start the service time clock on Benintendi, Betts and Bogaerts before they had to and neither should the Yankees.
    Wade has no power but he's always been a high OBP guy. As long as his defense is solid he'd be fine (IMO) as a stop gap until Didi comes back and/or until Gleyber is ready.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Wade has no power but he's always been a high OBP guy. As long as his defense is solid he'd be fine (IMO) as a stop gap until Didi comes back and/or until Gleber is ready.
    Exactly my thought as well

What are your thoughts on Clarkin, besides him being a punk draft day? Is he going to be moving up? Does he have a shot to be on the roster by 2019? trade bait?

Thread Information