+ Reply to Thread
Page 233 of 233 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 230 231 232 233
Results 5,801 to 5,811 of 5811
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Yankee minor league news and notes..

I'd like to see how many of Florial's hits are on breaking balls
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Jim Callis today:

"I've enjoyed three days of Arizona Fall League action as I write this, and so far the most impressive prospect I've seen is Yankees right-hander Albert Abreu. Acquired from the Astros in the Brian McCann trade last offseason, Abreu displayed three plus pitches -- including a fastball that reached 98 mph -- in a Tuesday duel with Pirates righty Mitch Keller."

Keller is the #18 overall MLB prospect, FWIW.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/259062...-top-100-list/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Jim Callis today:

"I've enjoyed three days of Arizona Fall League action as I write this, and so far the most impressive prospect I've seen is Yankees right-hander Albert Abreu. Acquired from the Astros in the Brian McCann trade last offseason, Abreu displayed three plus pitches -- including a fastball that reached 98 mph -- in a Tuesday duel with Pirates righty Mitch Keller."

Keller is the #18 overall MLB prospect, FWIW.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/259062...-top-100-list/
    From the game link in that article:

Abreu has the potential for three plus pitches, and all three were working against the Desert Dogs. Of his eight strikeouts, three came on fastballs, three on breaking balls and two on a changeup. He threw 33 fastballs, 19 for strikes, averaging 96 mph and never dipping below 94.

Abreu was very efficient at locating his secondary pitches, delivering 15 of 21 breaking balls and seven of nine changeups in the zone. He generated five swings-and-misses with breaking balls and four with changeups, compared to three with his fastball. He's known for throwing both a curveball and slider, and most of his 82-84 mph breaking balls against the Desert Dogs had curve shape.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Kyle Holder was 4-6 yesterday. Triple, HR, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Keller as #1? He was very good in 2017, but I would think the next 2 guys on you list had better overall seasons, and at a higher level too. Keller was in A ball all season.

Glad you recognized German. He will be even better next year, as he gets further away from TJ surgery.

What did you think of R. Herrera?
    I am a fan of Herrera, but I don't think he has a place in the Yankees Organization. He is better off as a trade chip.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    Kyle Holder was 4-6 yesterday. Triple, HR, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored.
    He is a lot better than fans give him credit for.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    He is a lot better than fans give him credit for.

I agree big time. His glove alone is MLB ready, today. His bat is the key, and he is not as bad as Brendan Ryan, so I think Holder will have an MLB career. The better his bat becomes, the better his chances of being a starter become.

NYYF Legend

I agree big time. His glove alone is MLB ready, today. His bat is the key, and he is not as bad as Brendan Ryan, so I think Holder will have an MLB career. The better his bat becomes, the better his chances of being a starter become.
    The Yankees would have got decent value in return if he turns out to be the next Brendan Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The Yankees would have got decent value in return if he turns out to be the next Brendan Ryan.
    I know this has been debated in the past, and I'm sure if you look at the average career of the #30 pick of all drafts of all time it's probably quantifiably true... but I think there's a good argument for this franchise in particular against using a #30 pick and hoping for Brendan Ryan. Not a bad guy to have around, but even when he was putting up good WAR with St. Louis based entirely on his glove, he was traded for a single low level prospect to Seattle and then a few years later acquired by the Yankees for a PBTNL. In other words, if you really want a Brendan Ryan it's not going to cost you much to get one. I mean, look at Didi. His defense has always been good and he had much more offensive projection than Ryan and he cost Shane Green.

Hopefully Holder's second half carries into next season and the bat develops as he moves up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I know this has been debated in the past, and I'm sure if you look at the average career of the #30 pick of all drafts of all time it's probably quantifiably true... but I think there's a good argument for this franchise in particular against using a #30 pick and hoping for Brendan Ryan. Not a bad guy to have around, but even when he was putting up good WAR with St. Louis based entirely on his glove, he was traded for a single low level prospect to Seattle and then a few years later acquired by the Yankees for a PBTNL. In other words, if you really want a Brendan Ryan it's not going to cost you much to get one. I mean, look at Didi. His defense has always been good and he had much more offensive projection than Ryan and he cost Shane Green.

Hopefully Holder's second half carries into next season and the bat develops as he moves up.

Didi cost Shane Green only to the Tigers. Arizona got Robbie Ray out of that deal. But Dave D (now in Boston) loved him some Shane Green.

Didi cost Shane Green only to the Tigers. Arizona got Robbie Ray out of that deal. But Dave D (now in Boston) loved him some Shane Green.
    True, but I was talking specifically about the Yankees' acquisition cost, which I think is most contextual in spite of the three-way deal.

Thread Information