+ Reply to Thread
Page 141 of 141 FirstFirst ... 41 91 131 138 139 140 141
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 3525
    NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    btw with respect to blake and florial, kan-t statement was about the consensus prospect rankings. it was more of a statement on rutherford sucking because that is required for the two to flip in order.
    By no means I thought about Rutherford sucking when I made that statement. The insane statement (at that time) was made to show how high I thought about Florial.

Re: 2017 Yankee minor league news and notes..

well i know. im just saying that blake needs to suck a bit for ba etc to put florial over him, no matter how well latter plays
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Florial homered
    Conservatives want live babies so they can raise them to be dead soldiers- George Carlin

Another HR for Florial. Has 10.. his power is starting to come like they said it would

if the question was just "who's the better prospect" then that'd be a completely different discussion.

i was and am now talking about prospect rankings from publications like BA, law etc. it's very obvious that rutherford is well regarded and so unless he tanks completely he won't drop that much, while it takes a very crazy season from florial to make that leap over blake without the latter dropping at least 30 spots.
    Right that's not the discussion though dude.

That's a random tangent you took from what I was referring to in KanTs post. Think you missed the boat.

He said Florial would be regarded as the better prospect than Blake by season's end and, right now, he's right.

well i know. im just saying that blake needs to suck a bit for ba etc to put florial over him, no matter how well latter plays
    Nah, don't agree. Blake can have a good year and if Florial continues to have a monster season, that could certainly be enough to leapfrog BR, particularly considering scouts have gushed over his tools since he signed out of DR.

shrug. was always about rankings. if i thought he meant just 'who's the better prospect' id have no problem with it
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Oh boy. I think I just found out why Law would be resistant to putting Florial on his midseason top-100 list - he already said he wouldn't this past February in his list of the top sleeper in each org:

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=6739

New York Yankees: Dustin Fowler, CF

Fowler has the right mix of ability, some performance and youth to end up squarely in the top 100 next winter. Teenage prospects such outfielder Estevan Florial or shortstop Wilkerman Garcia are probably a year from that kind of status.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

that's not a terrible take by law. it's how these rankings work. they shouldn't be taken as indicator of value.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

You're missing the point, I think.

A poster reported Law said a week or so ago that Florial wasn't going to make his midseason top-100, which is a pretty strange take at this point. I'm positing that said stance is born of his having said in the preseason that Florial was another two years away from achieving that status. Putting him in the top-100 not even 6 months after saying he was 24 months away wouldn't look good to him.

or it's just the way these lists are composed, with biases accreted into rules.

unless you are a uber hyped prospect, toolsy teens from IFA are not very well ranked until achieving 'established performance' status.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

or it's just the way these lists are composed, with biases accreted into rules.

unless you are a uber hyped prospect, toolsy teens from IFA are not very well ranked until achieving 'established performance' status.
    Of course there are biases, I think the problem is when they appear to be illogical and/or related to being stubborn.

Law has already said that he thinks Florial is a great breakout candidate, but it's not going to happen now because he's too far away.

And now Florial appears to be breaking out...and Law is still acting like he's too far away.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just annoying when it looks like the guy is sticking to his pre-season predictions rather than actually embracing reality.

In addition to the preseason comment about Florial being two years away from a top-100 list I posted earlier, here is another one from Law in March:
    Jon/Tampa: Keith, curious on your take on a couple of NYY minor leaguers and if you feel they are over hyped. Frecier Perez and Estevan Florial. Thank you in advance. Actually, more of your thoughts on them rather than if they are over hyped. I trust your judgement more.

Klaw: Florial was 18 and Perez 20 on my Yankees org ranking. They’re both intruiging, but incomplete as prospects, and a long way off. If they’re getting hyped now, it’s premature. I am kind of rooting for Florial because he was born in Haiti, and, I mean, when am I ever going to get back to Haiti?
    And now the kid is posting a wRC+ amongst the league leaders in the Sally, tools on blast all over the field, and 10 days ago Law has this simple response to the season Estevan is putting up:
    Jake: Odds that Estevan Florial is a top 100 prospect next March?

Keith Law: Low.
    Yeah, because he already said it wouldn't happen a few months ago.

you basically think law is making ranking decisions on a blurb that nobody reads. it's a stretch.

it's not really about law anyway. ba etc operate in the same way.

it's really about aggregating information vs private information. IFA players are a bit underscouted, and teams' own scouts know more about these players. it's hard for an aggregator to pass definitive judgement on this type of a prospect, unless the guy is very hyped.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Honestly, who cares? We have both Florial and Rutherford in the same lineup and get to watch them ascend the ladder hopefully together #blessed
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    He does pitch mostly in the mid to high 80's . If i go to a game this season in which he pitches and track the velo of every pitch what would you like to bet that his avg velo will be 87-89 opposed to 90-92? Your call
    OK CP went to Camarenas start today and as promised tracked every pitch thrown. Recorded every FB velo off of the park gun and checked with the trackers. In 4 innings he threw 1-90 mph, 5-89mph, 12-88mph, 3-87mph, 2-86 mph and 1-85mph. Avg FB velo if math is right is 87.8.
    Again not living up to the generic scouting reports given??

Kid can pitch. Yanks lost today to a guy who couldn't break 90 with a running start. They lose to Kuechel all the time.

groundballs > strikeouts.

poor contact and command > velo.
    always reasonable

NYYF Cy Young

Camarena's delivery reminds me of Pettitte. It's almost like he's been studying film of it. They are almost exact copies of each other, motion for motion.
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

shrug. was always about rankings. if i thought he meant just 'who's the better prospect' id have no problem with it
    Ok, well that's kind of the point... who would you rank higher at this point...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Buzah! View Post
    Kid can pitch. Yanks lost today to a guy who couldn't break 90 with a running start. They lose to Kuechel all the time.
    He can but had a rough one yesterday. The point wasn't if he can perform or not, just questioned the SR.

NYYF Legend

A few things from last nights R/R game...Lail did ok in his first two innings then got hit hard. Brady shouldn't be taking innings from others at this point.
    4 scouts at the game..Reds, Twins, O's for sure all sitting close, the 4th i'd guess was a Mets scout? Blue and orange piping around his I Pad case. The first three mentioned all said they were scouting both teams, RS and Yanks. No mention of who they liked but did say "don't worry, when were done you'll have no prospects left," LOL. The usher said the O's scout has been there quite a bit in their last home stands. Strange, being you don't see many deals in division..Minor ones like Tejada I guess?

NYYF Legend

groundballs > strikeouts.

poor contact and command > velo.
    Really? LOL How about Velo, poor contact and command.. That's even better..

My game recap from the SI Yanks home opener. Some quotes from Dalton Blaser and Julio Mosquera and an update on WIlkerman Garcia

http://pinstripedprospects.com/blase...-off-win-23671
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Really? LOL How about Velo, poor contact and command.. That's even better..
    tradeoffs. we have guys who chase velo at the expense of location.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Andujar: 2-4, first AAA HR

Wade: 1-1, 3 BB, SB

Mitchell: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 9 K

NYYF Legend

Today in Tampa:

Widener: 5 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

Tarpley: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K

They didn't give up a hit until the 9th.

Thread Information