+ Reply to Thread
Page 225 of 244 FirstFirst ... 125 175 215 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 235 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,625 of 6077
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Yankee minor league news and notes..

keithlaw‏ @keithlaw 16h16 hours ago
    Watching the @TrentonThunder and Dillon Tate just hit 97

Chris Picone‏ @chrispic88 16h16 hours ago
    @keithlaw @TrentonThunder
    Is he back?

keithlaw‏ @keithlaw 16h16 hours ago
    I don't like to overreact but HELL YEAH
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I don't remember seeing this posted, but Law went to a SWB game about 2 weeks ago and filed some fairly detailed reports. What he has to say about Wade has me excited to see what he could bring this offseason:

http://insider.espn.com/blog/keith-l...r/post?id=7608

I made my first trip to Scranton, Pennsylvania, and beautiful PNC Field on Saturday night to see the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (the Yankees' Triple-A affiliate) play the Syracuse Chiefs -- and to catch Chance Adams' start in case he was recalled to join the Yankees' rotation now that rosters have expanded. Adams had solid results, but the delivery and pitch mix don't match the performance, and I think his future is in relief.

In this game, Adams threw 91-95 mph with his four-seamer, and unsuccessfully trying to work downhill with the pitch. He also showed three off-speed offerings: a change, a curveball and an 84-88 mph slider/cutter that is his most interesting pitch. Hitters could pick up his changeup early, but it has a lot of string-pulling action that still missed some bats, putting that pitch ahead of a 79-81 mph curveball that was a bit sloppy. That cutter might be his ticket to major league value, since his fastball is straight and kind of flat. The hybrid pitch should keep hitters from sitting on the fastball, especially if it's one at-bat per game as a reliever rather than three as a starter. When he fired the cutter in at the top end of the range, it was sharp enough that I'd say it was above-average.

Adams' delivery is very high effort with a short arm action that doesn't stay closed enough at release, causing him to miss to his arm side on occasion, and he doesn't naturally get on top of the ball. The Yankees have had success with some starters who have suboptimal deliveries (Luis Severino) or lack a plus pitch (Jordan Montgomery), but I wouldn't bet on every such pitcher to stay a starter. If Adams' cutter/slider develops into something more, he'll have a chance -- no pun intended, I swear -- to start, but given his repertoire and delivery, I'd bet heavily that he'll end up in relief.

• The Yanks' Scranton team has a number of well-known names in its lineup. Former first-round pick Billy McKinney, traded twice now, struck out three times Saturday -- twice on curveballs and once swinging right through an 89 mph fastball -- and then lined a hard single to center on a mid-90s pitch. He still has a very pretty left-handed swing, but I think this power spike in 52 Triple-A games (10 homers with Scranton after he hit 11 total in 2015 and 2016) is fluky, and he has lost the patience he showed during his strong 2014 season in the Oakland system.

• Third baseman Miguel Andujar has also raked since getting to Triple-A, but unlike McKinney, Andujar also hit well at Double-A Trenton before his promotion. He also plays a skill position, whereas McKinney is a left fielder. Andujar has always been a high-contact hitter with good plate coverage, but this year he is getting better results on all the balls he's putting into play. He has already surpassed his previous highs in hits, doubles and homers despite playing six to nine fewer games (so far) than he did in any of the last three years. He's at least a solid regular at third and should see the majors this month since he's already on the Yankees' 40-man roster.

• Shortstop Tyler Wade probably has no place in the Yankees' plans, since he is behind Gleyber Torres (out for the year after elbow surgery) and Didi Gregorius. But Wade should end up as someone's every-day shortstop. He is noticeably stronger this year and is making harder contact, with consistently good contact rates throughout his pro career. He's no worse than average defensively, with excellent range to his left, more than enough to be a regular somewhere. He should be a very valuable trade piece for the Yankees when they need to acquire pitching.

NYYF Legend

I don't get all the groundballs with Tate. I thought his fastball was pretty straight when we traded for him. He getting these GBs on his slider or has something changed?

Tate came out firing bullets at 96-97 mph. He pitched with a quick tempo and mowed through his first two innings of work, striking out four hitters in six batters faced. He threw from a three-quarters arm slot. His fastball was pretty true but seemed to get on the hitters quickly. He blew two hitters away with fastballs. Not until his third inning did a ball get hit hard off of him.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...Go7VCAXWSKJ.97

It carries a little run inside to right-handed hitters.
    https://www.twinkietown.com/2015/5/1...rt-dillon-tate
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I don't remember seeing this posted, but Law went to a SWB game about 2 weeks ago and filed some fairly detailed reports. What he has to say about Wade has me excited to see what he could bring this offseason:

http://insider.espn.com/blog/keith-l...r/post?id=7608
    Not sure how Wade has no future here. Sure, he won't be playing SS, but he's a super utility guy. And with the way Joe likes to rest guys, he'll probably play 4-5 times a week. He's not currently better than Torreyes, but he certainly has more upside. I think he'll be here for awhile.

NYYF Legend

Pipeline made their predictions for the top 10 prospects a year from now. They have Gleyber at #2, but what was more exciting to me was this from Callis when he retweeted the article:

Jim Callis‏ @jimcallisMLB 25m25 minutes ago
    I always have a lot of fun with this story. Pained me to leave Estevan Florial outside the future Top 10.

NYYF Legend

Pipeline made their predictions for the top 10 prospects a year from now. They have Gleyber at #2, but what was more exciting to me was this from Callis when he retweeted the article:

I always have a lot of fun with this story. Pained me to leave Estevan Florial outside the future Top 10.
    I don't think (I'd hope not) Gleyber will be eligible for the list one year from now.

Callis is being a very smart man. He knows there is no denying Florial.

German

7IP 0R 3BB 8K

NYYF Legend

Sheffield: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 4 GO, 0 AO

Sheffield: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 4 GO, 0 AO
    He hadn't allowed any runs when he had to leave because of pitch count, Taylor Widener came in and allowed both of his runners to score.

NYYF Legend

Big Law writeup on some Yankee prospects. Good stuff on Tate and Loaisiga, pretty surprised to see the report on Mesa:

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7653

The Texas Rangers took right-hander Dillon Tate with the fourth overall pick in the 2015 draft, but by the middle of 2016, after some delivery changes and a hamstring injury, he'd lost his fastball and was struggling to get outs in low-A as a 22-year-old. Texas dealt him to the New York Yankees for a two-month rental of Carlos Beltran last July, a sign of how far Tate's stock had fallen in just 13 months.

The Yankees convinced Tate to restore his old delivery from college, which has a lot of Dontrelle Willis to it, and it's brought Tate's old stuff back. On Tuesday night, he started Game 1 of the Eastern League championship series for Trenton, and was sitting at 94-97 mph from the windup with more fastball life than he'd shown last year in the Arizona Fall League as a reliever, along with a much-improved changeup that I think has surpassed his slider to become his best off-speed pitch.

While his pure stuff is back -- and good -- Tate is now back to where he was out of the draft: an athletic pitcher with arm strength who needs to improve his command and who doesn't miss enough bats. Tate recorded just six swinging strikes, three of which came against one batter. Stuff like this should miss bats, but it doesn’t. The slider is more average now and I think hitters see it pretty early out of his hand, while his fastball has great life but hitters are still able to put it in play, albeit not very hard. Tate still has starter potential, even good starter potential, but there are a couple of specific facets to his game that have to improve for him to get there.
    • Right-hander Jose Mesa Jr. -- yes, his father is the former Cleveland and Phillies reliever -- threw in relief for Trenton and was very ordinary at 88-89 from a high three-quarter slot with a long arm swing and two fringy breaking balls.

• Trenton shortstop Thairo Estrada has had a breakout season this year, his first at Double-A, hitting .301/.353/.392 with just 56 strikeouts in 542 PAs. He has extremely quick hands and lets the ball travel deep before committing to a swing, which explains the high contact and low power, although he's stronger than that tiny ISO might imply. I've never seen anything to indicate he can't play shortstop, although in this system he's blocked several times over. His biggest knock at the moment is how overaggressive he is at the plate.

Nick Solak spent the last month of the season at Trenton after hitting .301/.397/.460 at high-A Tampa, as the 22-year-old Louisville product feasted on left-handed pitching (.352/.457/.600 on the year, with 5 of his 12 homers). He's a bit undersized and a fringy runner. He works the count well but didn't manage to square anything up on Tuesday night; he was noticeably more comfortable against Waddell's fastball than the breaking stuff coming in toward his body. Normally a second baseman, Solak was the DH on Tuesday.

• Last week, I saw Staten Island, the Yankees' short-season affiliate, play at Aberdeen to watch Nicaraguan right-hander Jonathan Loaisiga, who returned this year at 22 years old after missing most of two seasons due to Tommy John surgery. He has quickly established himself as one of the system's best starting pitching prospects. Loaisiga was 92-96 that evening with a power two-plane curveball at 80-84 and some feel for a changeup at 85-87, although he doesn't use the change very often. Listed at 5-foot-11, Loaisiga looks taller than that and extends well out over his front side to help his stuff play up. The fastball doesn't sink, but hitters put it on the ground all game long, and he showed excellent control. I like his chances to remain a starter given the potential for three pitches and the way he repeats his delivery.

Big Law writeup on some Yankee prospects. Good stuff on Tate and Loaisiga, pretty surprised to see the report on Mesa:

Funny thing is my friend, who is a scout for another team, came to SI to watch Loasiga in the playoffs. We were talking and I was giving him my take on the guy and he told me Law called him asking for input on him.

But anyway.

Here is our story on Steven Sensley, check it out:
    http://pinstripedprospects.com/steve...patience-25398
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

NYYF Legend

This stands out....That's a pretty drastic development considering his slider was considered a plus pitch by many. So either his changeup has gotten very good or his slider has gotten very bad.

along with a much-improved changeup that I think has surpassed his slider to become his best off-speed pitch.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This stands out....That's a pretty drastic development considering his slider was considered a plus pitch by many. So either his changeup has gotten very good or his slider has gotten very bad.
    You're missing the third, and most probable, option.

NYYF Legend

You're missing the third, and most probable, option.
    Keith Law doesn't know what he's talking about/making judgements on one start?
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Keith Law doesn't know what he's talking about?

I mean, I hope it's the former of the two you presented, because that would be amazing.

But how many changes do you think Tate threw in those 6 innings? If it was really on and half of them were good, AND he didn't have the best feel for his slider, then I could easily see Law coming to that conclusion.

I'd like to see another detailed scouting report of the start if it exists.

KLaw chat today:

Q: Keith - Thanks, as always, for these chats. Re Chance Adams of Yanks system, it seems like you think he is a likely reliever. That said, I imagine you think it makes sense to keep him starting until he absolutely proves he can't? Since he has more or less proved himself against minor league hitters what would you do w him if you were Cashman?

KLaw: I'd spot start him in the majors, definitely. Unless there's a health reason or absolutely no room at the inn, I'd always let a starter continue to start until he proves he can't.

Q: Was pleasantly surprised to read your scouting report on Tate. If he reaches his ceiling, can we expect a solid #2 or very good #3?

KLaw: It's #2 stuff and #4/5 kind of not-missing-bats results. I'm cautiously optimistic, though. I don't think this is Nate Eovaldi, where the velocity is good but there's nothing else. Tate's fastball has life and he does have two decent offspeed pitches.

Q: Most intriguing Starting pitching prospect in Yankees system?

KLaw: Loaisiga or Abreu.

Q: Thanks for your Trenton writeup, it's exactly what I was hoping for when I sent you that tweet. So, is Thairo worth a 40-man spot? Likely to be popped in Rule 5 (I know, you love Rule 5 talk), but behind tons of middle infielders and utiility guys arent that hard to find.

KLaw: I'd probably protect him - I think he's taken for sure - but maybe that means he's trade bait for them in November?

Q: Gut feeling by ASB next year: Andujar at 3B, Gleyber at 2B, Headley playing some first and Castro traded. Seem reasonable?

KLaw: Gleyber at 2B is a waste of his defensive ability. Andujar at 3b works for me, though. Good player, may never get the hype he deserves because he's behind bigger prospects in that system.

Q: Do you now feel like Serverino's change up is good enough to keep him in a starting roll or do you still see him as a reliever going forward?

KLaw: I never had an issue with his changeup - it was his best pitch when he was in low-A. He didn't have much of a slider till this year, and now he has one, it's really hard, and he throws it a ton.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    KLaw chat today:

Q
    Q: Do you now feel like Serverino's change up is good enough to keep him in a starting roll or do you still see him as a reliever going forward?

KLaw: I never had an issue with his changeup - it was his best pitch when he was in low-A. He didn't have much of a slider till this year, and now he has one, it's really hard, and he throws it a ton.

So, Is Keith Law thawing a bit on Severino?

NYYF Legend

Q: Gut feeling by ASB next year: Andujar at 3B, Gleyber at 2B, Headley playing some first and Castro traded. Seem reasonable?

KLaw: Gleyber at 2B is a waste of his defensive ability. Andujar at 3b works for me, though. Good player, may never get the hype he deserves because he's behind bigger prospects in that system.
    So where does he see Gleyber playing? SS? I would love that but I don't think Didi is going anywhere.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Yeah. I don't get that either. Especially when you consider all the defensive shifts.

I'm guessing it's more about his cannon arm, and being on the left side is more valuable for that reason, but whatever.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    So, Is Keith Law thawing a bit on Severino?
    It's almost like being the 3rd best pitcher in the AL influenced his opinion or something.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    It's almost like being the 3rd best pitcher in the AL influenced his opinion or something.
    Agreed. Hope Sevy gets some real decent Cy Young love this year. And some other young gun comes up next year and helps the rotation out.

Yeah. I don't get that either. Especially when you consider all the defensive shifts.

I'm guessing it's more about his cannon arm, and being on the left side is more valuable for that reason, but whatever.
    Certainly seems like the future is Torres-Didi-Castro-Bird from third to first. Where that leaves guys like Wade, Andujar, Headley, etc. I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    Certainly seems like the future is Torres-Didi-Castro-Bird from third to first. Where that leaves guys like Wade, Andujar, Headley, etc. I'm not sure.
    Wade is the most expendable..he'll likely be traded soon enough. I'd like to see Andujar get the primary DH role next year and take an occasional game at 3rd. There's not many other options and I'd hate to see him raking for another team. I'd also keep Headley and lengthen the bench, but no we have to put eleventy-seven guys in the pen.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    Na. Trade Castro. He's the exactly same guy he was last season.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information