+ Reply to Thread
Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 137 138 139 140
Results 3,476 to 3,499 of 3499

Re: 2017 Yankee minor league news and notes..

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Florial's english was way, way better than I expected.
    yep. he is saying the right things too

need sunscreen for the scorching potential from this kid
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I'll take a crack at that:

Gleyber Torres
    Clint Frazier
    Chance Adams
    Dustin Fowler
    Justus Sheffield
    Tyler Wade
    Estevan Florial
    Blake Rutherford
    Miguel Andujar
    Domingo Acevedo

not listed: Kaprielian (health), Mateo (suckiness), Abreu (too far away and hasnít pitched much this year)
    Nice list. It's a wild list when you consider that more than 50% of the players are a virtual lock to make the majors. You don't see that too often.

Florial's english was way, way better than I expected.
    Thought same. Awesome stuff.

Hope his ascendancy pushes Blake. If they both play up to potential, it would be pretty cool to watch them share the outfield at each level.

btw with respect to blake and florial, kan-t statement was about the consensus prospect rankings. it was more of a statement on rutherford sucking because that is required for the two to flip in order.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    btw with respect to blake and florial, kan-t statement was about the consensus prospect rankings. it was more of a statement on rutherford sucking because that is required for the two to flip in order.
    Not IIRC. He said this when Blake was a consensus top 4 Yankee prospect and was expected to continue doing so. I thought Kan-T's point was that he expected Florial to make a major step forward and breakout into uber prospect status, thereby eclipsing even BR's rising star.

1. Gleyber Torres
    2. Clint Frazier
    3. Chance Adams
    4. Dustin Fowler
    5. Justus Sheffield
    6. Estevan Florial
    7. Domingo Acevedo
    8. Miguel Andujar
    9. Blake Rutherford
    10. James Kaprielian

Florial needs a promotion. Let's see what he can do in Tampa.

You be the judge. BTW, Rutherford was hitting .309/.424/.418 and Florial slashing .296/.387/.481 at the time:

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Florial jumups ahead of Rutherford in prospect ranking by the end of year.
    that's not going to happen.

rutherford has too good of a pedigree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    No chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Rutherford has better pedigree but tools wise I think they're at the same level.

NYYF Legend

It's going to sound crazy, but at this exact point in time I'd have Florial above Wade and probably Fowler/Chance (and I really like those two and mocked people for not having them as top-100 guys). He could go into the tank the second half and make that look silly at the end of the season, but a kid with as much raw prospect hype as Florial did, absolutely crushing in full season ball with no major red flags outside of a relatively high strikeout rate triggers all kinds of bells and sirens for me.

Extraordinary production, using all fields AND with huge power, good walk rate, and plus defensively in CF? This is a top-30-50 type prospect at LEAST using the general guidelines we've seen from the scouting outlets over the years.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    1. Gleyber Torres
    2. Clint Frazier
    3. Chance Adams
    4. Dustin Fowler
    5. Justus Sheffield
    6. Estevan Florial
    7. Domingo Acevedo
    8. Miguel Andujar
    9. Blake Rutherford
    10. James Kaprielian

Florial needs a promotion. Let's see what he can do in Tampa.
    Nice list. I still love Rutherford though. I believe in his tools too much.

1. Torres
    2. Fraizer
    3. Fowler
    4. Rutherford
    5. Adams
    6. Florial
    7. Andujar
    8. Sheffield
    9. Acevedo
    10. Mateo

I was slow to come around on Wade but he is currently leading the IL in hits, runs scored and stolen bases while playing six positions defensively, and he is still just 22.

NYYF Legend

The bottom line is the Yankees are f*cking loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Not IIRC. He said this when Blake was a consensus top 4 Yankee prospect and was expected to continue doing so. I thought Kan-T's point was that he expected Florial to make a major step forward and breakout into uber prospect status, thereby eclipsing even BR's rising star.
    prospect rankings dont work that way tho. there is a lag on risers if pedigree isnt there.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

prospect rankings dont work that way tho. there is a lag on risers if pedigree isnt there.
    I'd argue that the pedigree difference between Florial and Rutherford is fairly minimal. Even with Rutherford having 1-1 chatter at one point, Florial was originally a figurehead of the 2014 mega-expenditure before his problems, plus famously had the three 70 tools (including the ultra sexy/rare speed/power combo), and Cashman brought up that never-before-encountered being asked for in a trade prior to coming stateside. People in the industry viewed this kid in a special prospect light from the jump, in my opinion...which is also why I think he's going to rocket up these lists now (and why I think it's laughable that Law said he wouldn't be on his midseason top 100).

I'd argue that the pedigree difference between Florial and Rutherford is fairly minimal. Even with Rutherford having 1-1 chatter at one point, Florial was originally a figurehead of the 2014 mega-expenditure before his problems, plus famously had the three 70 tools (including the ultra sexy/rare speed/power combo), and Cashman brought up that never-before-encountered being asked for in a trade prior to coming stateside. People in the industry viewed this kid in a special prospect light from the jump, in my opinion...which is also why I think he's going to rocket up these lists now (and why I think it's laughable that Law said he wouldn't be on his midseason top 100).
    pedigree solely in terms of publication rankings' perception. was context of the original kant statement on rankings.

the obvious disclaimer is that rankings are pretty bad, and we shouldnt evaluate yankees prospects based on what pub rankings say
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

pedigree solely in terms of publication rankings' perception. was context of the original kant statement on rankings.

the obvious disclaimer is that rankings are pretty bad, and we shouldnt evaluate yankees prospects based on what pub rankings say
    I understand what you're saying about viewing it in the context of the rankings, but I don't view pedigree as exclusively tied to them (and I don't think the scouting services do either). Pedigree to me has to do with bonus and predraft/signing scouting reports, too.

I think the difference is in the application of pedigree by the scouting services - it differs between American kids and IFA kids to my eye. I think they are willing to use the pedigree as a majority of the reason to rank American kids without production, but less inclined to do so with foreign prospects even if they're getting similar feedback from scouts and team management on players. Not every case, obviously, but on the whole. When the high-pedigree IFA kid bursts on the scene with production you'll see them scramble to push him up the ranking because he already has the pedigree in place (and then the new ranking further contributes to his pedigree as you've already stated).

I think if Florial keeps this up we'll see rankings at the end of the season with lines like, "Florial has always been talked about as having one of the best collection of tools in the sport, but this year we finally saw results on the field", which to me is saying he has amazing pedigree.

But yeah, it doesn't really matter much either way as long as he keeps hitting.

I dont think youre discussing the same point as me.

KanTs statement was very straightforward and you're making it more complex than need be.

You and I both said it was not possible for Florial to jump Blake in terms of prospect status by year's end. Never brought up other's rankings. At this point you (and I) look like we're wrong because he's entirely outperformed Blake on both sides of the ball. Plus his pedigree is nothing to sneeze at.

These are all undeniable points.

if the question was just "who's the better prospect" then that'd be a completely different discussion.

i was and am now talking about prospect rankings from publications like BA, law etc. it's very obvious that rutherford is well regarded and so unless he tanks completely he won't drop that much, while it takes a very crazy season from florial to make that leap over blake without the latter dropping at least 30 spots.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

I was slow to come around on Wade but he is currently leading the IL in hits, runs scored and stolen bases while playing six positions defensively, and he is still just 22.
    But guysm, you can't ask him to play 3B, guys. We already have Torreyes.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    But guysm, you can't ask him to play 3B, guys. We already have Torreyes.
    There is so much kneejerk condescension on this site for an organization that is as well positioned for the next ten years as any sports franchise I can think of, I honestly don't get it.

No, Wade should not be called up to play 3B, he has played a whopping 10 games there this season and only three innings ever before that, and he has four errors in those ten games. Miguel Andujar is the one who should be replacing Headley and I think he will if he looks good in AAA for a month or so, offensively and defensively. Andujar is also already on the 40 man, Wade is not.

Wade is being groomed for the Zobrist/Holt role, and while it's almost certainly true that he'd be an upgrade on Torreyes right now, this isn't fantasy baseball and you need to worry about real world repercussions and impact on the clubhouse. Wade will get his chance, probably sooner rather than later, but all of the endless bitching here about almost every little personnel non-move is really tiring.

meh. wade is just a better use of the playing time. torreyes has no upside at all.

it's just a matter of being risk averse at the major league level, while ignoring the value in playing time.
    always reasonable

Don't look at Sheffield's line. It's ugly. He's throwing the ball hard - 95 according to Reading announcers - but he's getting hammered.

NYYF Legend

There is so much kneejerk condescension on this site for an organization that is as well positioned for the next ten years as any sports franchise I can think of, I honestly don't get it.

No, Wade should not be called up to play 3B, he has played a whopping 10 games there this season and only three innings ever before that, and he has four errors in those ten games. Miguel Andujar is the one who should be replacing Headley and I think he will if he looks good in AAA for a month or so, offensively and defensively. Andujar is also already on the 40 man, Wade is not.

Wade is being groomed for the Zobrist/Holt role, and while it's almost certainly true that he'd be an upgrade on Torreyes right now, this isn't fantasy baseball and you need to worry about real world repercussions and impact on the clubhouse. Wade will get his chance, probably sooner rather than later, but all of the endless bitching here about almost every little personnel non-move is really tiring.

NYYF Legend

Andujar looks great at third tonight. Showing good range and his throws have been right on the money so far.

NYYF Legend

meh. wade is just a better use of the playing time. torreyes has no upside at all.

it's just a matter of being risk averse at the major league level, while ignoring the value in playing time.
    This guy gets it.

Thread Information