+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Yankee minor league news and notes..

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Sowees, sounded like the UNLESS was hoping it would happen.

Regardless, I wasn't directing my frustration at you, more so the lack of patience that much of this fanbase and seemingly the ML pitching coaches have in handling its top pitching talents.

In the same way that people abandoned Severino as a top starting prospect after 50 crappy ML innings at age 22 (he still had a 1.18 WHIP and a k/bb of 80/12 in 80IP starting in AAA) - people are anointing Kap after showing a huge spike in stuff before spending 90% of the season on the DL with an arm injury. Let's see him log some innings before we pencil him as an opening day starter. Let's see Torres show the AFL stuff was legit by building on it in AA before we consider him Jeter 2.0.

I'm as excited as anyone about our farm system. I just wish we could exercise some restraint one way or the other.
    Excellent points.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    What are the odds of Enns getting in the bigs this year? He is going on 26 in May this year and has looked great in the minors. Last year at SWB he was 7-2 with a 1.52 ERA and 1.12 WHIP.

Is he going to start or just be a reliever?
    No one knows. But it would seem to make sense to give him a shot just to see what the results might look like. I'd certainly rather see him in the rotation than a 3rd season of Pineda.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    No one knows. But it would seem to make sense to give him a shot just to see what the results might look like. I'd certainly rather see him in the rotation than a 3rd season of Pineda.
    He is on the 40-man already so there is a good chance you will see him in the big leagues this year. The only question is whether it is as a starter or reliever.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    He is on the 40-man already so there is a good chance you will see him in the big leagues this year. The only question is whether it is as a starter or reliever.
    I understand, and I know there's a chance. But frankly putting him in the rotation and Pineda in the pen should be a no brainer. He's not the one with the question about whether he'll start or relieve, much less even make the team.

NYYF Legend

Yes he did hit as high as 96 last season with the Thunder in the beginning of the season.
    Never have seen him in that range. I saw him pitch multiple times, spring to fall. I can tell you that his game is based on deception, control, plane and repertoire more then velocity. If Jordan were hitting that velo regularly i can assure you with his numbers he would be a 100 prospect.

Good. I'm interested to see him in the bigs. I guess his starting or relief will depend on things like how our starters are doing, mainly Severino - Green - Cessa

Keith Law released his Top 10 prospects at each position this morning.

Only four Yankees made the lists.

Gleyber Torres - #3 SS
    Blake Rutherford - #5 OF
    Clint Frazier - #7 OF
    James Kaprielian - #8 RHP
    Last edited by hairnovaaa; 02-02-17 at 01:42 PM.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    Keith Law released his Top 10 players at each position this morning.

Gleyber Torres - #3 SS
    Blake Rutherford - #5 OF
    Clint Frazier - #7 OF
    I assume you really mean prospects here.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Well yeah, that's what this thread is.

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    Keith Law released his Top 10 prospects at each position this morning.

Gleyber Torres - #3 SS
    Blake Rutherford - #5 OF
    Clint Frazier - #7 OF
    Who were the top 2 SS? Swanson and..

NYYF Legend

Who were the top 2 SS? Swanson and..
    Would be Rosario, as Law had him ranked above Torres in his top 100 (#3 and #4 I think)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    But the injury did occur, and there are a plethora of pitchers right now well ahead of Kap in terms of IP (and level).
    This is true.

One can safely consider Enns, Montgomery, Adams, as well as the group of Cessa/Mitchell/Green/Warren (whomever is not the 5th starter - I think Severino will be #4 to start the season), as ahead of Kap at this point in time.

An argument can be made that Sheffield may also be ahead of him.

KLaw's Yankee Sleeper:

New York Yankees: Dustin Fowler, CF

Fowler has the right mix of ability, some performance and youth to end up squarely in the top 100 next winter. Teenage prospects such outfielder Estevan Florial or shortstop Wilkerman Garcia are probably a year from that kind of status.

Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    KLaw's Yankee Sleeper:

Fowler has the right mix of ability, some performance and youth to end up squarely in the top 100 next winter. Teenage prospects such outfielder Estevan Florial or shortstop Wilkerman Garcia are probably a year from that kind of status.
    Easily a guy that could be in the top 10 in another org. I look forward to watching him.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    KLaw's Yankee Sleeper:

Well that's excitng. Hope to see him up soon as well.

What's up with Mason Williams? He looked good when he was called up. He had a bunch of hype surrounding him for a while then it just went away. I remember when it was Austin Jackson and Mason Williams from the farm.

I feel like Mason should be in front of Aaron Hicks.

KLaw Chat:

Q: Why doesn't Mateo make hard contact? Poor swing path? Lack of strength? Poor pitch recognition? Something else?

A: I think it's a hand strength issue.

Q: Wasn't Gary Sanchez monster quarter season the definition of SSS? He never hit for much power in any level before this. How can he be so well regarded by Zips and projectors as a 30+ HR catcher when he's never done it before, never caught 130 games and faces wear and tear and pitchers figuring him out? What's your projection for him?

A: Oh, he has power. At 19 that guy was making incredibly hard contact off older pitchers.

NYYF Legend

What's up with Mason Williams? He looked good when he was called up. He had a bunch of hype surrounding him for a while then it just went away. I remember when it was Austin Jackson and Mason Williams from the farm.

I watched both come up and feel Williams is a more polished player. Mason if healthy will do better then Jackson.

It was AJAX and Jose Tabata. Mase had hype but his attitude and injuries got in the way of his development. I don't think he was ever as good as made out to be. He had a SSS burst, similar to Mateo's Tampa burst (though I still think Mateo has more upside/ability). At this point, I think Mase is basically a solid fourth outfielder on a first division club.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    It was AJAX and Jose Tabata. Mase had hype but his attitude and injuries got in the way of his development. I don't think he was ever as good as made out to be. He had a SSS burst, similar to Mateo's Tampa burst (though I still think Mateo has more upside/ability). At this point, I think Mase is basically a solid fourth outfielder on a first division club.
    I guess I just look at Mason's #s and just feel like he is getting shafted. He struggled a bit a few years ago in Trenton, but since then had rebounded nicely and even in his 2 stints in the Bigs performed well in limited time. I think he plays better than Hicks or even Gardner at this point. What am I missing? Better yet, what is he missing?

Do they think he just cant continue hitting near .300 at the plate an entire season? Is he an average OFer defensively? Lack of pop? I just feel like he is not getting the shot he deserves.

2015 he hit .318 in AA/AAA (.321 in AAA and .286 in MLB in 22 PAs)
    2016 he hit .296 in AAA (Also .296 in MLB with 29 PAs)

NYYF Legend

I guess I just look at Mason's #s and just feel like he is getting shafted. He struggled a bit a few years ago in Trenton, but since then had rebounded nicely and even in his 2 stints in the Bigs performed well in limited time. I think he plays better than Hicks or even Gardner at this point. What am I missing? Better yet, what is he missing?

Do they think he just cant continue hitting near .300 at the plate an entire season? Is he an average OFer defensively? Lack of pop? I just feel like he is not getting the shot he deserves.

2015 he hit .318 in AA/AAA (.321 in AAA and .286 in MLB in 22 PAs)
    2016 he hit .296 in AAA (Also .296 in MLB with 29 PAs)
    He needs to be healthy and given a real shot. Mason has great range in CF.

There may be things about his physical condition I do not know, but I think the Yankees are making a mistake by not giving Williams more of a shot. I am disappointed that they have not yet traded Gardner to open up an OF slot. (I can't hope for them releasing Ellsbury yet.) I hope that Cashman is just waiting for some team to offer a little more for Gardner. Trade him while he has some value left and make room for the younger guys who can be part of the future. I will be very unhappy if Mason makes an impact on another team without being given a full chance with the Yankees.

Got my BP Annual book today, interesting prospect rankings, they do a top 101 list:

#15 Gleyber Torres
    #16 Clint Frazier
    #43 Jorge Mateo
    #49 Blake Rutherford
    #52 Justus Sheffield
    #58 James Kaprielian
    #63 Aaron Judge
    #82 Albert Abreu
    #101 Tyler Wade

So nine guys, and still no Chance Adams or Miguel Andujar, plus Tate and McKinney made this list last year. That is crazy prospect depth.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    There may be things about his physical condition I do not know, but I think the Yankees are making a mistake by not giving Williams more of a shot. I am disappointed that they have not yet traded Gardner to open up an OF slot. (I can't hope for them releasing Ellsbury yet.) I hope that Cashman is just waiting for some team to offer a little more for Gardner. Trade him while he has some value left and make room for the younger guys who can be part of the future. I will be very unhappy if Mason makes an impact on another team without being given a full chance with the Yankees.
    I agree with you in regards to this entire post, but I have to wonder what Cashman has been offered for Gardner, if anything.

As for Ellsbury, I wonder when that point will be reached. At the moment, he is due $89.57M on the remainder of his contract by my calculation. While that amount is a lot of money to "eat", the Yankees did make the decision to eat a large chunk of ARod's contract. If the Yankees were able to get under the tax threshold next year, would they be willing to eat $47M after the 2018 season?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Cash asking too much for Gardner. It's two off-season's now that he probably should have been traded. Teams just don't value him highly. Cashman is overvaluing him.imo
    I think he's a solid player, that disappears in the second half, not a good base stealer, and isn't young. This is likely what other teams are looking at.

Thread Information