Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

Re: Adam Warren: Has The Ship Sailed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    HR/9 = 1.4
    BB/9 = 3.2
    H/ 9 = 9.9
    FIP = 4.48

All were too high. There may be some luck involved with hits dropping in. But his problem was not just that he was giving up hits, it's that he was getting hit hard.

SLG Against = .472
    Doubles = 21 in 71 innings

And he was getting hit early, failing to make it past the 4th inning in 5 of his 11 starts.
    71 IP/11 starts? IMO way too small of a sample size to make any type of evaluation. Obviously they are stats that should be noticed, but no way do I label the man anything but a good 23 yr old prospect at this point.

I am of the belief that it takes about 50-60 starts (or 2 seasons) to really see how a young pitcher fits into future plans. Before that, it's a crapshoot.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    71 IP/11 starts? IMO way too small of a sample size to make any type of evaluation. Obviously they are stats that should be noticed, but no way do I label the man anything but a good 23 yr old prospect at this point.

I am of the belief that it takes about 50-60 starts (or 2 seasons) to really see how a young pitcher fits into future plans. Before that, it's a crapshoot.
    I agree. The only question at issue here is whether his further development would be best served by working on a third pitch in the Bronx or at Scranton in April. Once he's mastered that, the sky's the limit.

In 21 starts, he has a 3.88 ERA with more innings pitches than hits allowed and a strikeout to walk ratio of 2.34.

Warren is essentially a league average starter when given the opportunity.

The question is whether he has more value as a 7th inning guy or swingman. I guess that depends on if Green, Cessa, Mitchell, or Severino can provide 180 innings of above-average production.

I still think we sign a veteran innings eater to a cheap deal in February as insurance.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    The question is whether he has more value as a 7th inning guy or swingman. I guess that depends on if Green, Cessa, Mitchell, or Severino can provide 180 innings of above-average production.

I still think we sign a veteran innings eater to a cheap deal in February as insurance.
    I would also prefer obtaining a veteran (first choice is still Quintana) instead of depending on 2 unproven starters. My biggest concern is whether any of the candidates can get through a ML lineup more than twice, which will usually determine whether they can get past the 5th inning. I don't mind going through that anxiety once out of every 5 games, but twice? Talk about agita....
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I agree. The only question at issue here is whether his further development would be best served by working on a third pitch in the Bronx or at Scranton in April. Once he's mastered that, the sky's the limit.
    IMO the organization could afford to let Severino figure it out in Scranton if they had another dependable innings eater in the rotation, but if they're really going with 2 rookies then Severino should probably take his lumps in NY since his ceiling is probably higher than any of the other candidates.

In 21 starts, he has a 3.88 ERA with more innings pitches than hits allowed and a strikeout to walk ratio of 2.34.

Starter as first choice. But, I would like to see Warren as a 7th inning guy. However, it seems that Joe likes to use him in tie games, games we're behind, or in a partial inning (I didn't look up the actual stats, but that's how I remembered it paying out).
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

People around here are clamoring for a league average (or better) starter. I'd think they'd be ecstatic if we could get one without giving up a thing.

Adam Warren is already on the roster, but under-utilized. If you're right, and he can be a league average starter, doesn't he represent a solution to a very big problem?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    People around here are clamoring for a league average (or better) starter. I'd think they'd be ecstatic if we could get one without giving up a thing.

Adam Warren is already on the roster, but under-utilized. If you're right, and he can be a league average starter, doesn't he represent a solution to a very big problem?
    Who would pitch the 5th inning of every game?
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

NYYF Legend

The Yankees should give him a chance to be a starter. I think he has been around long enough to know how to pitch. If he doesn't work as a starter they can always make him a middle reliever. Experience counts in the majors and he has it!

Thread Information