+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF HOF

Sanchez-Holliday-Bird-Judge = New Middle of Lineup?

I'd like to keep Headley, Gregorius, and Castro in the 7-8-9 spots. Good 'Ol Gardner & Ellsbury at the top (yuck!).

Will that middle hit 110HRs? Drive in 317 runs? Get on base about .305 & slug around .430? That's about how the 2016 Yankee 3-4-5-6 spots did in those categories, with the #3 spot (Sanchez & Beltran) carrying the load. With Sanchez replacing McCann, Holliday replacing A-Rod, Bird replacing Teixeira and Judge replacing Beltran, can we expect (or just hope for) a more potent offense?

The Yanks played 77 games scoring 3 runs or less. In contrast, the Red Sox only played 55 games scoring 3 runs or less. My hope is the 2017 Yankee offense can score more routinely.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Re: Sanchez-Holliday-Bird-Judge = New Middle of Lineup?

Personally, I would rather move Headley into the #2 hole, drop Ellsbury to #8, with Castro as #9. Gardner leads off, and Did bats behind Judge.

I also wonder if Bird will eventually move into the #4 slot if he really hits, and Holliday is average or worse.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Personally, I would rather move Headley into the #2 hole, drop Ellsbury to #8, with Castro as #9. Gardner leads off, and Did bats behind Judge.
    I've also thought about Headley in the #2 spot, mainly because of his OBP and he seems to have semi-patient ABs in total. I like your suggestions.

I also wonder if Bird will eventually move into the #4 slot if he really hits, and Holliday is average or worse.
    I'm hoping Holliday has a comeback year. He's tallied some pretty impressive numbers over the years and can provide leadership and protection for the younger hitters around him.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'm hoping Holliday has a comeback year. He's tallied some pretty impressive numbers over the years and can provide leadership and protection for the younger hitters around him.

That's why I emphasized the word "and" in my previous post. Otherwise, if Holliday and Bird are both hitting well, as far as I'm concerned, leave Matt in the cleanup hole.

NYYF Legend

I'm really not going to get my hopes up with Bird for 2017. It's a major surgery he's coming back from. I wouldn't be surprised if he's pretty bad, but would be pleasantly surprised if he duplicates his 2015 numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I'm really not going to get my hopes up with Bird for 2017. It's a major surgery he's coming back from. I wouldn't be surprised if he's pretty bad, but would be pleasantly surprised if he duplicates his 2015 numbers.
    Yup. Same.

I'm not really getting my hopes up with Holliday for 2017. He's 37, coming off the worst year of his career, and hasn't been healthy enough to stay in the lineup full time either of the past 2 seasons.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I'm not really getting my hopes up with Holliday for 2017. He's 37, coming off the worst year of his career, and hasn't been healthy enough to stay in the lineup full time either of the past 2 seasons.
    My guess is we all felt the same way about Beltran in 2016. Granted, it's probably more of an exception than a probability, but it certainly would be fun watching a real run producer produce.

My guess is we all felt the same way about Beltran in 2016. Granted, it's probably more of an exception than a probability, but it certainly would be fun watching a real run producer produce.
    We also watched ARod and Tex fall apart last year. Same thing with Soriano, Ichiro, and Matsui (after he left the Yankees) a few years before that. Yes, Beltran's 2016 season certainly was an exception, but even in his case he didn't keep up the same pace after he went to Texas.

NYYF HOF

We also watched ARod and Tex fall apart last year. Same thing with Soriano, Ichiro, and Matsui (after he left the Yankees) a few years before that. Yes, Beltran's 2016 season certainly was an exception, but even in his case he didn't keep up the same pace after he went to Texas.
    So then it's settled. You don't really want to get your hopes up and I do. :-)

Devoted Member

Absolutely. Part of me hopes they give the 1B job to Austin out of spring training and let Bird start in AAA. Take some pressure off of him and let him just get comfortable and not worry about numbers to start the year.

If Austin struggles and/or Bird looks like he's fully back, then bring him up and let him take the role full time.

I believe they will score more runs definitely.. Bird/Judge/Holliday will combine for better numbers than Arod/Tex/Beltran.

So then it's settled. You don't really want to get your hopes up and I do. :-)
    Sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    Absolutely. Part of me hopes they give the 1B job to Austin out of spring training and let Bird start in AAA. Take some pressure off of him and let him just get comfortable and not worry about numbers to start the year.

If Austin struggles and/or Bird looks like he's fully back, then bring him up and let him take the role full time.
    If the AFL I see any indication, you've got a point. I like your proposal.

Devoted Member

Exactly. It didn't seem like he was anywhere near 100% in the AFL. By most accounts, this is an injury that takes a while to get back to full strength. Let him work on getting his power and timing back without feeling the need to overdo it.

NYYF Legend

Exactly. It didn't seem like he was anywhere near 100% in the AFL. By most accounts, this is an injury that takes a while to get back to full strength. Let him work on getting his power and timing back without feeling the need to overdo it.

If I remember corre tlly, he went to the AFL to get his timing back, not necessarily looking for results. So I can't take any of his stats there to mean much.

Come ST, he will be over 1 year removed from surgery. That is when he should start getting his power back. McCann got his back much earlier, but most others had a longer wait. If Bird is making contact on a consistent basis in ST, I keep him in NY. The power will come back.

Devoted Member

If I remember corre tlly, he went to the AFL to get his timing back, not necessarily looking for results. So I can't take any of his stats there to mean much.

Come ST, he will be over 1 year removed from surgery. That is when he should start getting his power back. McCann got his back much earlier, but most others had a longer wait. If Bird is making contact on a consistent basis in ST, I keep him in NY. The power will come back.
    I guess I just don't see what's to gain. If I had to pick Austin or Bird for the first few weeks of the year, I'd take Austin right now. I want to see Judge, Austin, and Holliday in the lineup every day to start the year.

Unlike McCann, Bird missed an entire season of game action. I'd rather give him all the time he needs to get to 100%.

I guess I just don't see what's to gain. If I had to pick Austin or Bird for the first few weeks of the year, I'd take Austin right now. I want to see Judge, Austin, and Holliday in the lineup every day to start the year.

Unlike McCann, Bird missed an entire season of game action. I'd rather give him all the time he needs to get to 100%.
    Yankees need his LH power... we have zilch

I've made a huge mistake Gob Rules's Avatar

Gardner
    Holliday
    Bird
    Sanchez
    Headley
    Judge
    Didi
    Castro
    Ellsbury

Austin rotates with Holliday, Ellsbury, Bird

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gob Rules View Post
    Gardner
    Holliday
    Bird
    Sanchez
    Headley
    Judge
    Didi
    Castro
    Ellsbury

Austin rotates with Holliday, Ellsbury, Bird

Holliday batting 2nd really does not make much sense. He just might be your main RBI guy. Also, Headley 5th is not ideal - he is not a big-time run producer (never really was except for the 1 year in SD - an outlier).
    Last edited by mbn007; 12-28-16 at 08:20 AM.

My daughter had labrum surgery and the time table is a full year. The first 6 months is healing and regaining range of motion. the second six months is building strength. He was only a couple months into the strength phase in the AFL, and still managed to hit a HR. No reason he can't be 100% ready by ST.

If I had to pick Austin or Bird for the first few weeks of the year, I'd take Austin right now. I want to see Judge, Austin, and Holliday in the lineup every day to start the year.

I'd love to see Austin get plenty of AB's.

The potential problem is that I don't think either Girardi and Cashman appreciate Austin. Austin is borderline to make the 25 man out of ST as it stands. I don't see a realistic scenario where he gets a lot of AB's.

If Bird cannot play, then I can picture Cashman finding someone off the scrap heap over giving Austin a real chance. The only way Austin comes out on top is if it comes down between him and Refsnyder and the FO has to pick one of them.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

If Bird is "really bad", then he is in AAA, as the Yankees likely have other options (Holliday, Austin to start) for the 1B position.

However, I disagree - while it was major surgery, the fact that he came back and was able to play in the AFL is a positive, IMO.

My bigger concern, quite frankly, is his throwing - given that he is a RH thrower and the surgery was on his right shoulder, I am more concerned about if this surgery will affect his throwing.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Honest question here - were his AFL ABs even intended to represent his production or were they simply an opportunity to let him face live pitching during his rehab?

I go with the latter - I will withhold any judgement on his recovery until spring training, when he will be another three months removed from surgery. Of course, I am an eternal optomist.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Of course, I am an eternal optomist.
    Something we have in common. So tell me, does trading for Quintana & Robertson make the Yankees 2017 AL East contenders?

Thread Information