+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: New Yankee Stadium Reconfiguration

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    I'm not sure why you think the Mets wouldn't of allowed to let the Yankees play in Shea- they would have received more ad revenue and probably some of the vendor sales. These drawings were made in 1998 when the Yankees GREATLY outdrew the Mets so that could be the only reason I could see otherwise- embarrassment of the Yankees outdrawing the Mets. But if this actually happened it wouldn't have occurred until the mid to late 00's when this wasn't quite the case.
    I cannot find the article online, but didn't the teams both get the stadium at the same time because each felt that if the other teams park was built first, the city would run out of money or not follow through and the other would be stuck as a tenant or in an old stadium for years? Or was that just sports talk from fans?

Also weren't these drawings were done by the Bronx president at the time, when both the yankees and Rudy were still focused on Manhattan ?(thank God that never happened)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I cannot find the article online, but didn't the teams both get the stadium at the same time because each felt that if the other teams park was built first, the city would run out of money or not follow through and the other would be stuck as a tenant or in an old stadium for years? Or was that just sports talk from fans?

Also weren't these drawings were done by the Bronx president at the time, when both the yankees and Rudy were still focused on Manhattan ?(thank God that never happened)
    I believe you are right. I seem to remember reading something to that effect. The Manhattan Stadium was really never an issue . It was planned more for a possible Olympics and then for the Jets. Early in 2001 there was a preliminary announcement of a new Yankees and Mets parks and the Yankees park was in the current location but would have had a retractable roof.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I believe you are right. I seem to remember reading something to that effect. The Manhattan Stadium was really never an issue . It was planned more for a possible Olympics and then for the Jets. Early in 2001 there was a preliminary announcement of a new Yankees and Mets parks and the Yankees park was in the current location but would have had a retractable roof.
    The City built Shea Stadium for the Mets back in 1962 in order for the City to be awarded a National League expansion team. When the City bought Yankee Stadium and renovated it in the 70's, the deal was contingent upon the Mets getting the next "new" stadium before the Yankees.

Obviously, by the end of the 90's, both facilities were reaching the end of their economic usefulness, but per the agreement, the Mets were first in line for City funding. So Rudy brokered the deal where both teams got a new ballpark.

The Mets new stadium concept originally included a retractable roof with a roll-out grass field. I don't recall any concepts where the Yankees played indoors (or with a moonroof).

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    The City built Shea Stadium for the Mets back in 1962 in order for the City to be awarded a National League expansion team. When the City bought Yankee Stadium and renovated it in the 70's, the deal was contingent upon the Mets getting the next "new" stadium before the Yankees.

Obviously, by the end of the 90's, both facilities were reaching the end of their economic usefulness, but per the agreement, the Mets were first in line for City funding. So Rudy brokered the deal where both teams got a new ballpark.

The Mets new stadium concept originally included a retractable roof with a roll-out grass field. I don't recall any concepts where the Yankees played indoors (or with a moonroof).

Both the new Yankee Stadium (and the Mets' Citi Field) were originally designed to have retractable roofs. One of Rudolph Guliani's last acts as mayor of New York was to earmark public money to build both new stadiums. However, Michael Bloomberg immediately reversed that

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post

Both the new Yankee Stadium (and the Mets' Citi Field) were originally designed to have retractable roofs. One of Rudolph Guliani's last acts as mayor of New York was to earmark public money to build both new stadiums. However, Michael Bloomberg immediately reversed that
    I stand corrected. I don't recall seeing that model, but seeing that picture is good enough for me.

I wonder if there was a two-for-one deal with the model creation, because the Yankees model looks VERY similar to the Mets one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post

What happened on 9/11 killed the original Stadium plans. Spending public funds for two Stadiums over other more pressing needs made no sense at all. I remember when the city made the deal with the Yankees in 1971 and never saw anything about the Mets being next in line for a new Stadium. The Mets and Jets got their city built Stadium and the Yankees got a renovated one.

My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

Sounds crazy on some level as this YS is going into only its 9th year, but I do wonder when the clamoring will start for yet another Yankee Stadium. We will all be old ladies and old men at that point, but it will be in most of our lifetimes, I would bet. It will be a technological marvel compared to this one....a leap much greater than the one this one represented.

2045 or so?

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post

No matter what changes they make, this stadium has no charm whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Thanks for renting the chopper to take those pics. How about a big screen in the kids' playground? I may have felt differently five years ago pre-kids, but I think it's a pretty good use of that space. Young kids can't hang for nine innings, so you end up walking around part of the game anyway -- which can be fun enough in itself at a ballpark, but nothing wrong with a tucked-away play area.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Completely agree. It's a pretentious mall with a bland, generic ballpark inside.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Completely agree. It's a pretentious mall with a bland, generic ballpark inside.
    Nice to see no changes to Monument cave.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by 4train View Post
    Thanks for renting the chopper to take those pics. How about a big screen in the kids' playground? I may have felt differently five years ago pre-kids, but I think it's a pretty good use of that space. Young kids can't hang for nine innings, so you end up walking around part of the game anyway -- which can be fun enough in itself at a ballpark, but nothing wrong with a tucked-away play area.
    Completely agree. My 2 year old loves baseball, but taking him to Yankee Stadium last year was so hard because he got bored by the end of the first inning. Minor leagues is much better for kids.

My only concern- is there any shade up there in the park? Those slides will get HOT in summer.

NYYF Legend

correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt that he former party deck where the kids pen is
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Completely agree. My 2 year old loves baseball, but taking him to Yankee Stadium last year was so hard because he got bored by the end of the first inning. Minor leagues is much better for kids.

My only concern- is there any shade up there in the park? Those slides will get HOT in summer.
    I waited until my kids were 8 years old, had a couple of years of playing Little League under their belts and years of sitting on the couch with me watching ballgames before taking them to an MLB game. One is 14 and the other is 11 and when we go to ballgames there is no walking around to see anything. We sit and watch the game just like my Dad and I did way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt that he former party deck where the kids pen is
    You beat me to it. It's too bad there isn't a more wide-angle shot so we could see. That being written, it sure looks like it was the Party Deck...

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Shore Yankee View Post
    I waited until my kids were 8 years old, had a couple of years of playing Little League under their belts and years of sitting on the couch with me watching ballgames before taking them to an MLB game. One is 14 and the other is 11 and when we go to ballgames there is no walking around to see anything. We sit and watch the game just like my Dad and I did way back when.
    I'd of course prefer to wait until the kids are older, but realistically there are times where we can't get a babysitter or they fall through last minute. Having something there for kids will make this way easier

Make the Yankees great again!!

Agree 100%.

I'd of course prefer to wait until the kids are older, but realistically there are times where we can't get a babysitter or they fall through last minute. Having something there for kids will make this way easier
    I hear ya. My wife was always cool with me going with a buddy to a game until we thought the kids were old enough to appreciate it.

Devoted Member

The old Stadium seemed so intimidating when it was full, even from my fan perspective. I only went once to the old Stadium but boy do I miss it.

Is it only me, or does Yankee Stadium seem much louder this year, both live and on TV?

I've been to 3 games thus far, all with crowds in the mid to high 30k's, and there seems to be a louder, more electric buzz at the stadium, somewhat reminiscent of the old place. I'm sure a young, exciting team has a lot to do with it, but I don't think that the entire reason. The crowd noise level during the championship 2009 season was relatively and disappointingly low, even during the post season, and especially when compared to OYS.

I'm wondering if they did anything structurally, or if the reconfiguration helped in keeping the sound contained, as opposed to the way it seemed to escape from the open stadium since 2009. Or, maybe the breaking-in process helps to improve the acoustics.

Or....maybe it's just my imagination?

2 standards

Is it only me, or does Yankee Stadium seem much louder this year, both live and on TV?

I've been to 3 games thus far, all with crowds in the mid to high 30k's, and there seems to be a louder, more electric buzz at the stadium, somewhat reminiscent of the old place. I'm sure a young, exciting team has a lot to do with it, but I don't think that the entire reason. The crowd noise level during the championship 2009 season was relatively and disappointingly low, even during the post season, and especially when compared to OYS.

I'm wondering if they did anything structurally, or if the reconfiguration helped in keeping the sound contained, as opposed to the way it seemed to escape from the open stadium since 2009. Or, maybe the breaking-in process helps to improve the acoustics.

Or....maybe it's just my imagination?
    Winning and exciting players tend to do that. Only thing I can think of
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Winning and exciting players tend to do that. Only thing I can think of
    No doubt that the winning and young, exciting players has had an effect. But, then there was 2009. That was an extremely exciting season, yet, the much of the electricity was missing, and paled in comparison to championship seasons at the old place. It's not that the fans stopped cheering as much (at least I don't think they did), it's just that the sound seemed to escape because of the wide-openness and had a different tone.

I'm also thinking that perhaps more people are spending more time in their seats this year because of the product on the field and that in 2009, even with an exciting winning team, the newness of the stadium brought out the curiosity seekers who spent more time socializing on the concourses and concession stands instead of their seats. I just feel a different vibe and louder crowd noise this year.

2 standards

No doubt that the winning and young, exciting players has had an effect. But, then there was 2009. That was an extremely exciting season, yet, the much of the electricity was missing, and paled in comparison to championship seasons at the old place. It's not that the fans stopped cheering as much (at least I don't think they did), it's just that the sound seemed to escape because of the wide-openness and had a different tone.

I'm also thinking that perhaps more people are spending more time in their seats this year because of the product on the field and that in 2009, even with an exciting winning team, the newness of the stadium brought out the curiosity seekers who spent more time socializing on the concourses and concession stands instead of their seats. I just feel a different vibe and louder crowd noise this year.
    Maybe the remodeling they did this offseason did something?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Maybe the remodeling they did this offseason did something?
    Yeah, I was wondering if that was part of the reason. Like I said, could be my imagination, but, I don't think so. I'll take it.

Thread Information