+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New Yankee Stadium Reconfiguration

Now that the Yankees are reconfiguring the Bleacher sections next to the Mohegan Sun Restaurant, how about the reconfigure the right field Terrace and Grandstand sections to resemble the refurbished Yankee Stadium? I heard numerous excuses as to why new YS "couldn't" have the RYS. I call "B.S." on that. Watching NFL games and seeing the pitch of the stands in stadiums such as Seattle and Cincinnati.

8 years later and I am still "livid" as to how poorly the new Stadium was configured.

Disaster!

NYYF Legend

Re: New Yankee Stadium Reconfiguration

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Now that the Yankees are reconfiguring the Bleacher sections next to the Mohegan Sun Restaurant, how about the reconfigure the right field Terrace and Grandstand sections to resemble the refurbished Yankee Stadium? I heard numerous excuses as to why new YS "couldn't" have the RYS. I call "B.S." on that. Watching NFL games and seeing the pitch of the stands in stadiums such as Seattle and Cincinnati.

8 years later and I am still "livid" as to how poorly the new Stadium was configured.

Disaster!
    Don't think that can be changed now without major reconstruction. But the pitch is bad in the entire Grandstand. But the building codes might be different in other states which explain why Stadiums in other states can do it.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Don't think that can be changed now without major reconstruction. But the pitch is bad in the entire Grandstand. But the building codes might be different in other states which explain why Stadiums in other states can do it.
    What about Barclays Center? The pitch of the upper level is crazy steep- as steep or even steeper than RYS was.

http://atlanticyardsreport.blogspot....n-her.html?m=1

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    What about Barclays Center? The pitch of the upper level is crazy steep- as steep or even steeper than RYS was.

That is true. We just have to accept that they built the Stadium totally wrong as far as the Grandstand is concerned.

That is true. We just have to accept that they built the Stadium totally wrong as far as the Grandstand is concerned.
    If the pitch were steep, then the outer circumference would be reduced, especially at the high-dollar corporate suite height. Steeper pitch, fewer suites. They wanted the big shallow dish, because it maximized revenue by maximizing number of premium field level seats. The upper level has start at the same (or greater) circumference as the lower, so a steeper pitch would sooner cut off the views from field level, resulting in fewer seats to be sold upstairs. So shallow downstairs, means shallow upstairs. This is Lon Trost we are talking about, remember.

It's all about the$$$. Eff the fan experience.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

The old Yankee stadium needed to be replaced. It had too many problems to enumerate. I only wished they had built it anywhere other then the Bronx. I certainly didn't want it in NJ where we would have been saddled with the expense.

Yes the new stadium has faults but it is better than the old stadium

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    The old Yankee stadium needed to be replaced. It had too many problems to enumerate. I only wished they had built it anywhere other then the Bronx. I certainly didn't want it in NJ where we would have been saddled with the expense.

Andy

I would guess you are in the minority

I would guess you are in the minority
    You didn't want it built in The Bronx or NJ. Maybe Ohio? Ha ha

And you need a flashlight to get around up there. Never been in a darker, more depressing arena than that one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    And you need a flashlight to get around up there. Never been in a darker, more depressing arena than that one.
    Agree totally about Barclays Ctr.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    Initially I did not have a major problem with a new stadium. I knew we needed one. But after it was built I was let down. I would rather have OYS with all its problems than the mall/museum we have now. It doesn't have the same appeal. Unless of course you have a lot of extra cash to blow. I'm sure it's great if money isn't much of an issue for you.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Initially I did not have a major problem with a new stadium. I knew we needed one. But after it was built I was let down. I would rather have OYS with all its problems than the mall/museum we have now. It doesn't have the same appeal. Unless of course you have a lot of extra cash to blow. I'm sure it's great if money isn't much of an issue for you.
    That has always been my problem with NYS. They replaced a ballpark with a shopping mall. Look at the parks in Baltimore and Philadelphia. They have the luxury boxes but you feel like you are in a ballpark.

That has always been my problem with NYS. They replaced a ballpark with a shopping mall. Look at the parks in Baltimore and Philadelphia. They have the luxury boxes but you feel like you are in a ballpark.
    i think they got too caught up in history and nostalgia. We all know the Yankees have a storied history and it's really great. One of the best in all of sports. But there was no need to shove it down everyone's throats at every corner. The organization needs to learn some humility I think. You can be proud of your franchise and be humble at the same time.

I wish they had taken some cues from Camden. It's a beautiful stadium. To me it's what other stadiums should strive to be. The gold standard. Truth me told I think the Mets did a better job with their park. It's still a bit costly for decent seats but it's a very nice stadium also.

You can be proud of your franchise and be humble at the same time.
    I think the San Francisco Giants find this balance extremely well.

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas everyone!

NYYF Legend

i think they got too caught up in history and nostalgia. We all know the Yankees have a storied history and it's really great. One of the best in all of sports. But there was no need to shove it down everyone's throats at every corner. The organization needs to learn some humility I think. You can be proud of your franchise and be humble at the same time.

I wish they had taken some cues from Camden. It's a beautiful stadium. To me it's what other stadiums should strive to be. The gold standard. Truth me told I think the Mets did a better job with their park. It's still a bit costly for decent seats but it's a very nice stadium also.
    In some ways the Mets park is better but there are different problems there. Many seats obstructed by stairways and metal rails in the upper deck of the park.
    As far as shoving their history down our throats I really wish the Yankees would stop playing those films between innings extoling how great the team is and the 27 World Championships. Once a game would be ok but it's just endless.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeSTH View Post
    I think the San Francisco Giants find this balance extremely well.

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas everyone!
    I saw the Yankees play at Turner Field and the Braves Museum at that park makes the Yankees Museum look like a piece of crap. About 10 times as large as what the Yankees have with tons more displays. I would hope the Braves transfer that museum to their new park.

NYYF Legend

The O's did a fantastic job with the relocation of their ballpark some 25 years ago. They placed it right at the site of the beginning (or terminus from the other perspective) of the B&O Railroad, nestled in along the old warehouses along Eutaw St. It's likely the Yankees couldn't have matched that level of history, but there's simply no excuse to build a ballpark in marble instead of brick. Brick equates a home-y feel. Marble equates a wine and cheese, and um.."am I underdressed? Where am I again?" vibe. Just a huge swing and miss. Oh, but the history, as you've noted, is amply shoved down the visitor's throat at nearly every turn.

I'd say the only thing the O's missed out on is the open-concourse feature of some of the newer parks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    The O's did a fantastic job with the relocation of their ballpark some 25 years ago. They placed it right at the site of the beginning (or terminus from the other perspective) of the B&O Railroad, nestled in along the old warehouses along Eutaw St. It's likely the Yankees couldn't have matched that level of history, but there's simply no excuse to build a ballpark in marble instead of brick. Brick equates a home-y feel. Marble equates a wine and cheese, and um.."am I underdressed? Where am I again?" vibe. Just a huge swing and miss. Oh, but the history, as you've noted, is amply shoved down the visitor's throat at nearly every turn.

I'd say the only thing the O's missed out on is the open-concourse feature of some of the newer parks.
    You know back in 1992 when I first saw a game at Camden Yards I told a friend if they ever were to replace Yankee Stadium I hoped it would look like Camden. Unfortunately we got a shopping mall instead

Regardless of how one feels about brick and its hominess look and feel, anything other than limestone (or concrete, like the original stadium) just wouldn't be Yankee Stadium. Everything that's associated with the Yankees is grand, (some say arrogant), as it should be. That's not to say I'm in love with the finished product (for other reasons), but the limestone is befitting.

This whole brick/retro ballpark is played out. They're all around, even in tons of minor league parks throughout Bumfluck USA.

A lot here..great thread.

I do think the Yankees needed a new stadium. There are a thousand ways the Yankees dropped the ball in doing so but lets not forget the problems with the old one:

1. Getting out of the concourses was a disaster.
    2. Bathrooms were flooding for years ...who can forget that stadium murky black water that would seep out during games. I could not imagine having to use the bathrooms as a female in the old place. It was just disgusting
    3. The "back of the house" for food service was a mess. Not saying they have gourmet options now in all sections but anyone "lucky" enough to have seen it would never have taken one bite of the food in OYS
    4. I concede that the Yankees were right in that they could not do what Boston did and retro fit all the amenities needed to compete with other parks (bars, suites, etc)

Where they dropped the ball was in the execution of the new place.

How they thought that the Audi or Mohegan clubs should not have open air options...crazy

A hard rock cafe..sure. Not overlooking the field? Dumb

The segregation on the field level....insane. Prices on the non premium field level seats...even crazier. who is going to pay $400 to be told..nope sir can't go past this moat gate

The Great Hall sounded great in theory. that is where all of the Yankee history should be. Open air, easily viewable. Instead they turned it into the great mall.

The museum is an afterthought and on busy days you get to wait in a musty ramp area

monument cave: they took the most signature piece of Yankee history, one they promoted like crazy...and turned it into something that cannot even be seen during games. I am quite surprised they have not yet found a way to charge a premium with guaranteed access to sell seats.

I do remember Kay on his radio show mentioning the reason the upper deck was built as it is had nothing to do with the city, he flat out said...they are the cheapest seats and most expensive to build and the last to be sold. (This was pre moat)

Last but not least...only the Yankees would trumpet the open air views for the fans on the concourses and then not allow people to watch from those spots due to the "unique one of a kind table barstools that come with a free soda" Lonn and Randy created
    The whole entrance looks like a giant williams sonoma....and inside feels like a concrete jungle.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    A lot here..great thread.

I do think the Yankees needed a new stadium. There are a thousand ways the Yankees dropped the ball in doing so but lets not forget the problems with the old one:

Good points, just adding two things:

4. I concede that the Yankees were right in that they could not do what Boston did and retro fit all the amenities needed to compete with other parks (bars, suites, etc)
    They actually COULD- in fact designs were created to retrofit the stadium, interestingly also having a concept similar to the Great Hall:

http://www.stadiumpage.com/stpages/yankeereno.html

Last but not least...only the Yankees would trumpet the open air views for the fans on the concourses and then not allow people to watch from those spots due to the "unique one of a kind table barstools that come with a free soda" Lonn and Randy created
    Worse than this, the views on the field level were completely removed by adding those field level suites.

Good points, just adding two things:

They actually COULD- in fact designs were created to retrofit the stadium, interestingly also having a concept similar to the Great Hall:

http://www.stadiumpage.com/stpages/yankeereno.html

Worse than this, the views on the field level were completely removed by adding those field level suites.

OYS foundation could not support any renovations/major changes.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    OYS foundation could not support any renovations/major changes.
    While those drawings are interesting I don't see how it would have worked. Where would the Yankees have played while this construction was going on. Unlike the 1974-75 Renovation doubt the Mets would have let the Yankees play at Shea especially if this meant a delay in building their new park.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I do remember Kay on his radio show mentioning the reason the upper deck was built as it is had nothing to do with the city, he flat out said...they are the cheapest seats and most expensive to build and the last to be sold. (This was pre moat)
    This is true with any ballpark or tall building. A taller, larger building requires larger and deeper foundations / piles. It requires more steel and concrete below to support the weight above. And unlike a skyscraper, you can't charge a premium for a view from the top.

Even Doug Roberts, the architect of "The Towering Inferno" told the builder Jim Duncan, "If you had to cut costs why didn't you cut floors instead of corners..."

For the same reasons why you don't design expressways to keep traffic moving 55 mph during rush hour (make them twelve lanes in each direction) by buying up all the right-of-way, you need to determine the actual cost of those last 5,000 seats.

I had a discussion over on one of the CitiField threads at BF, defending the size of the new ballparks. When you attempt to determine the cost of those last upper deck seats, and then amortize the cost of building them over the life of the bonds, you really need to sell out night after night... And even then, you still might not be able to justify the cost.

Not sure if their the last to be sold, but it is certain that they must be sold out consistently, along with all the seats below them, to be able to justify their cost.

NYYF Cy Young

While those drawings are interesting I don't see how it would have worked. Where would the Yankees have played while this construction was going on. Unlike the 1974-75 Renovation doubt the Mets would have let the Yankees play at Shea especially if this meant a delay in building their new park.
    I'm not sure why you think the Mets wouldn't of allowed to let the Yankees play in Shea- they would have received more ad revenue and probably some of the vendor sales. These drawings were made in 1998 when the Yankees GREATLY outdrew the Mets so that could be the only reason I could see otherwise- embarrassment of the Yankees outdrawing the Mets. But if this actually happened it wouldn't have occurred until the mid to late 00's when this wasn't quite the case.

Thread Information