+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Express Your Hope Or Trepidations About Our Future With Trump

This pretty much says it for me:

The nation is soon to be under the aegis of an unstable, unqualified, undignified demagogue and with Republicans in control of both houses of Congress, there is little that can be done to constrict or control his power and unpredictability.

Its like seeing an ominous weight swinging toward a limb, sure to break it, while you feel utterly helpless to prevent the fracture.

As the exiting first lady Michelle Obama told Oprah last week: Were feeling what not having hope feels like. In point of fact, we may be on the brink of feeling what an erosion of liberty, competent leadership, and absolute sovereignty feels like.

To put it simply - I'm scared.

Re: Express Your Hope Or Trepidations About Our Future With Trump

I agree with you, but we already have a thread for this. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I thought this was more narrowly defined. But OK, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
    I thought this was more narrowly defined. But OK, sorry.
    It is more narrowly defined, but for a long time any discussion of politics was strictly banned. It's remarkable enough that we have one thread, and it's been hard enough for Maynerd to moderate that one. We can't do two.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It is more narrowly defined, but for a long time any discussion of politics was strictly banned. It's remarkable enough that we have one thread, and it's been hard enough for Maynerd to moderate that one. We can't do two.
    What's the problem? The election is over and Trump won? I'm just wondering what the expectations are for his term in office.

What's the problem? The election is over and Trump won? I'm just wondering what the expectations are for his term in office.
    The problem is political discussions on this site. They need to be confined to one thread or even that thread will be locked and all political discussion banned again.

We've been through this before. Take my word for it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm anticipating an early "incident" after which Trump will declare martial law and request emergency executive powers.

My hope is that he will be impeached.

My trepidation is that he won't be.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    My hope is that he will be impeached.

My trepidation is that he won't be.

Thank you.
    Sad thing is I am not sure if Trump or Pence would be worse
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Sad thing is I am not sure if Trump or Pence would be worse
    They're both bad, but at least with Pence there'd be an air of legitimacy and stability on the international stage. Trump's a fool who can't help himself, and he's ripe for exploitation of his vanities because he's a petulant, small and insecure man.

With rather small hands.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    They're both bad, but at least with Pence there'd be an air of legitimacy and stability on the international stage. Trump's a fool who can't help himself, and he's ripe for exploitation of his vanities because he's a petulant, small and insecure man.

With rather small hands.
    I am just seriously opposed to having anyone's religion shoved down other's throats
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    2016 election officially ended today. I think it's time for a new thread.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

My hope is the Democrats fine a candidate to destroy Trump in 4 years. My trepidation is the damage will have been done.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I am just seriously opposed to having anyone's religion shoved down other's throats
    Oh I agree with you. It's just that once the GOP view him (Trump) as a loose cannon (or once his approval ratings sufficiently tank to unprecedented #s, thus risking senate/house seats), they'll open up an investigation on any number of fronts to impeach. Then the Senate will convict. They'll have used Trump for what they needed him for: to appoint a comically rich cabinet/heads of state, and they likely won't have to deal with the baggage come 2018. Pence will provide the stability for their regressive plans of action.

But hey...It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    My hope is the Democrats fine a candidate to destroy Trump in 4 years. My trepidation is the damage will have been done.
    Oh, we'll be starting at a deficit. No doubt.

They shouldn't even be thinking about 2020. First they've got to set up a major sweep in 2018, and I don't know if they're capable of that.
    - Barry Manilow

They shouldn't even be thinking about 2020. First they've got to set up a major sweep in 2018, and I don't know if they're capable of that.
    2018 is already pretty much a dead issue for the dems. 32 Senate seats up, 2 Independent, 22 Democratic and just 8 Republican seats up for reelection. If dems manage to lose 3 seats they will be lucky.

The problem is political discussions on this site. They need to be confined to one thread or even that thread will be locked and all political discussion banned again.

We've been through this before. Take my word for it.
    OK, gotcha.

NYYF Legend

War because of stupidity.........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

If the damage is done, they wouldn't need to look hard to find a candidate, just like what happened to them this election.

If Trump is as bad as majority here feels he'll be, the Republicans will get wiped out next election. If he's doing well, then it's a win, and the need to replace him won't be so desperate.

It'll work itself out in that regard. But my hope is that the Democrats own up for all their mistakes, stop believing all their own horsesh*t, can they hypocrisy and fix their party.

I thought it was going to be the Republicans turn to do that (still hope they do), so we end up with a better choice next election.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    If the damage is done, they wouldn't need to look hard to find a candidate, just like what happened to them this election.

If Trump is as bad as majority here feels he'll be, the Republicans will get wiped out next election. If he's doing well, then it's a win, and the need to replace him won't be so desperate.

It'll work itself out in that regard. But my hope is that the Democrats own up for all their mistakes, stop believing all their own horsesh*t, can they hypocrisy and fix their party.

I thought it was going to be the Republicans turn to do that (still hope they do), so we end up with a better choice next election.
    From Bill Clinton's speech yesterday it seems they have learned nothing and I don't see much to indicate anyone in the DNC has.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post

"If Trump is as bad as majority here feels he'll be, the Republicans will get wiped out next election."

Yes, of course, but the only problem with that is what happens during the 4 years BEFORE the Republicans get wiped out. They are sure to once the believers find out they were duped and are worse off than they were pre-Trump.

I'm concerned about the damage to the country. Didn't take Bush long to bring this country to the brink of extinction. Trump will be worse.

2016 election officially ended today. I think it's time for a new thread.
    I agree. There seems to be a lot of personal animosity in the Election Thread.

"If Trump is as bad as majority here feels he'll be, the Republicans will get wiped out next election."

Yes, of course, but the only problem with that is what happens during the 4 years BEFORE the Republicans get wiped out. They are sure to once the believers find out they were duped and are worse off than they were pre-Trump.

I'm concerned about the damage to the country. Didn't take Bush long to bring this country to the brink of extinction. Trump will be worse.
    You have no idea about that. We survived Obama, who had zero experience 8 years ago. We will survive Trump.

This election was proof positive change was needed. Unfortunately, it's rarely comfortable.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Thread Information