+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Express Your Hope Or Trepidations About Our Future With Trump

Trump job creation incoming:

When President-elect Donald Trump took a swipe at the costly F-35 jet fighter, 146,000 American workers may have felt an ominous whoosh.
    That's what defense contractor Lockheed Martin estimates is the total number of jobs, both at the company and it's suppliers, that depend on the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/23/news...ors/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post

In Trump's first year, I am predicting that he will be involved in more court cases than press conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by bertram01 View Post
    In Trump's first year, I am predicting that he will be involved in more court cases than press conferences.
    From the looks of things one court case will be all that is needed for this to be true.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was willing to give trump a clean slate when he was elected. I was hoping he'd lose his schtick and act like a POTUS. The way he and his cohorts have acted since 11/9 blew that out the window. He has no reason to act like a spoiled brat but he chooses to do so.
    So no more hope. Just trepidations of him embarrassing our country. Embarrassing when he gives the SOTUS. Embarrassing if and when he goes and comforts family members after the next mass shooting (and there will be some.) Embarrassing when he goes after those publically for disagreeing with him. Embarrassing when his approval ratings take a dive. Embarrassing when he tweets ignorant nonsense at 3AM.
    And so on..................

Quote Originally Posted by bertram01 View Post
    It's a fair bet considering he hasn't participated in any press conferences as of yet, and his team indicated they plan to change how the President communicates with the press. My bet is this will translate into "Twitter & Fox News only."

Time to reset the luxury tax melon's Avatar

It's a fair bet considering he hasn't participated in any press conferences as of yet, and his team indicated they plan to change how the President communicates with the press. My bet is this will translate into "Twitter & Fox News only."
    I think you're correct here. He wants to cut the MSM out of the process. I also think he will set a new standard for future POTUS to do the same. Obama was the original social media president, at a time when McCain couldn't even open up an email message. Trump will bring it to a higher level.

Despite the very early, gloomy predictions, I have a hunch that Trump will be looking at a 2nd term. I was more confident in '08 over Obama being a 2 term president, but the Democrat bench is weak and the proposed future candidates aren't strong enough, imo, except for Warren. And the economy is about to turn and the incumbent president will get a lot of credit, whether deserved or not (usually not).
    Trade Ellsbury. Keep Gardner.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I think you're correct here. He wants to cut the MSM out of the process. I also think he will set a new standard for future POTUS to do the same. Obama was the original social media president, at a time when McCain couldn't even open up an email message. Trump will bring it to a higher level.

Despite the very early, gloomy predictions, I have a hunch that Trump will be looking at a 2nd term. I was more confident in '08 over Obama being a 2 term president, but the Democrat bench is weak and the proposed future candidates aren't strong enough, imo, except for Warren. And the economy is about to turn and the incumbent president will get a lot of credit, whether deserved or not (usually not).

I generally agree with this, except that I have less confidence in Trump's ability to avoid foolishness and/or disaster.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I don't know. I think it's a waste of time trying to read tea leaves anymore. He is a supremely unpopular individual who can't stop himself from overreaching in his gluttony. I don't know if it's going to be so much about the Dem vs how much the public tolerates with Trump.

Of course the economy could go great guns and no one will care.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I generally agree with this, except that I have less confidence in Trump's ability to avoid foolishness and/or disaster.
    Foolishness? He won't be able to avoid that. But he will likely be able to spin that as shaking things up.

Avoiding disaster? He pretty much has to avoid an escalation of war. And a significant part of his economic plan is to avoid the high cost of military deployment, imo.

I don't know. I think it's a waste of time trying to read tea leaves anymore. He is a supremely unpopular individual who can't stop himself from overreaching in his gluttony. I don't know if it's going to be so much about the Dem vs how much the public tolerates with Trump.

Of course the economy could go great guns and no one will care.
    It'll come down to who can excite the Democratic vs Republican base to come out and vote. It appeared that the conservatives that cared about SCOTUS showed up more than the left that cared about SCOTUS. And that energized the evangelicals.

If the likes of George Will, Bill Kristol, and Mitt Romney couldn't get the right to stay home or flock towards a 3rd party candidate, then it won't happen in '20. It'll be easier with the full support of his own party.

Who knows, maybe a charismatic challenger will emerge from the Democratic ranks and be a game changer. It would have to be someone that is not on the radar right now, imo. Who thought Trump was on the radar, even after he rode down the escalator?

Regarding your last sentence, if the economy takes off, then I'm confident the GOP will retain the WH.

It'll come down to who can excite the Democratic vs Republican base to come out and vote. It appeared that the conservatives that cared about SCOTUS showed up more than the left that cared about SCOTUS. And that energized the evangelicals.

If the likes of George Will, Bill Kristol, and Mitt Romney couldn't get the right to stay home or flock towards a 3rd party candidate, then it won't happen in '20. It'll be easier with the full support of his own party.

Who knows, maybe a charismatic challenger will emerge from the Democratic ranks and be a game changer. It would have to be someone that is not on the radar right now, imo. Who thought Trump was on the radar, even after he rode down the escalator?

Regarding your last sentence, if the economy takes off, then I'm confident the GOP will retain the WH.
    Trump is more likely to galvanize the Dem base than anyone else.

Foolishness? He won't be able to avoid that. But he will likely be able to spin that as shaking things up.

Avoiding disaster? He pretty much has to avoid an escalation of war. And a significant part of his economic plan is to avoid the high cost of military deployment, imo.

I mean the kind of foolishness that will continue to build up until it stops looking cute. The kind of foolishness that has already started to turn his own party away from him, and will continue to do so, until he looks less like a maverick shaking things up and more like King Lear raving out on the heath. The more people see him as ridiculous rather than courageous, the better any Democratic challenger will look.

And there are a lot more potential disasters than just the escalation of military conflicts. Trade wars could be disastrous. His Klown Kabinet could lead him into economic and political disasters. If he runs into a Hurricane Katrina-like disaster, his inept response could be even more disastrous than it was for W. And so on.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Approval has dropped from 47% to 42%......Lowest since the man whom dropped the bomb...........gonna give new life to old comedians.........and SNL..........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

On a serious note this Bromance with Putin has to be red flag.........we Canadians and the UN still deemed Russia our #1 enemy .......Trump has him as a friend of the USA.......As the Brits would say" Troubled times are upon us"...........anyone whom believes that Russia has the USA in it`s best interest is border line (fill in the blanks)

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

On the more important side of things ... will The Donald throw out the first pitch at a Major League Baseball game? Or will it hit the dirt early?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    On the more important side of things ... will The Donald throw out the first pitch at a Major League Baseball game? Or will it hit the dirt early?
    He'd have to find a Trump friendly stadium......he doesn't respond well to insults.....

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Approval has dropped from 47% to 42%......Lowest since the man whom dropped the bomb...........gonna give new life to old comedians.........and SNL..........
    The Trump impersonators will have a lucrative 4 years ahead of them. The Hillary and Bill impersonators are suddenly out of work.

Political comedy writers will just have to report the actual news.

The Trump impersonators will have a lucrative 4 years ahead of them. The Hillary and Bill impersonators are suddenly out of work.

Political comedy writers will just have to report the actual news.
    I keep thinking in 6 months Trump will get fed up with the headaches and hand it off to Pence saying he did what he pledged in making America great again and Mike Pence will be a fabulous president because I picked him.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

have a sneaking suspicion his "own" will look to replace him.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    have a sneaking suspicion his "own" will look to replace him.
    You left out the word, "again". But yes, you're correct. This time, they'll have to do it without Mitt and relevant politicians, imo.

You left out the word, "again". But yes, you're correct. This time, they'll have to do it without Mitt and relevant politicians, imo.
    Interesting that the Party of the Everlasting Commie Catchers is now being headed up by Putin's Pooch.

I cannot bear the thought of the second term. My fervent hope is that a rising star in the Democratic party will motivate people to vote in 4 years...and even in 2 years.
    Black Lives Matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I cannot bear the thought of the second term. My fervent hope is that a rising star in the Democratic party will motivate people to vote in 4 years...and even in 2 years.
    Obama came out of nowhere. I didn't take him seriously until Oprah endorsed him. And Trump's popularity came out of nowhere- even though that's probably not your favorite example. Huffpost buried him in the Entertainment section because they insisted he was on the same level as the Kardashians.

So, yes, I think a charismatic Democratic candidate can come out of nowhere. It's just hard to imagine it because the bench is currently weak.

Obama came out of nowhere. I didn't take him seriously until Oprah endorsed him. And Trump's popularity came out of nowhere- even though that's probably not your favorite example. Huffpost buried him in the Entertainment section because they insisted he was on the same level as the Kardashians.

So, yes, I think a charismatic Democratic candidate can come out of nowhere. It's just hard to imagine it because the bench is currently weak.
    Obama didn't come out of nowhere. He gave the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention and hit it out of the park. He was identified as a rising star with huge potential, he just rose more quickly than people thought.

Even being on the same level of the Kardashians means enormous name recognition. No, Trump wasn't taken seriously as a candidate, but he was a huge star.

Right now, the Democrats don't have anyone with the same stature as either of them four years before they were elected.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Obama didn't come out of nowhere. He gave the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic convention and hit it out of the park. He was identified as a rising star with huge potential, he just rose more quickly than people thought.

Even being on the same level of the Kardashians means enormous name recognition. No, Trump wasn't taken seriously as a candidate, but he was a huge star.

Right now, the Democrats don't have anyone with the same stature as either of them four years before they were elected.
    Prior to that 2004 address, I'd never heard of Obama. Hopefully there's someone who will make a name for herself soon. Say, Kamala Harris.
    Black Lives Matter.

Thread Information