+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Express Your Hope Or Trepidations About Our Future With Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Going back and forth between the GOP and the Dems is one thing. Throwing an egotistical, authoritarian with no core beliefs disguised as a Republican into the mix is quite another. Don't normalize him.
    Retired Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn, Donald Trump’s pick to serve as his national security adviser, met several weeks ago with Heinz-Christian Strache, the head of Austria’s anti-immigrant Freedom Party, which was founded after World War II by former Nazis.
    “This is not just any opposition party: It is one with Nazi sympathies,” said Daniel Serwer, a former state department official who’s now a professor at the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University. “Nor is Flynn any national security adviser. He is a documented conspiracy propagator. His long-term strategy colleague, Steve Bannon, is an ethnic nationalist and anti-Semite. The president-elect is an anti-Muslim and anti-immigration bigot

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58...b08debb78af7c2

This is not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Trump's choice for his Cabinet posts are putting the fox in charge of the hen house. They'll dismantle the EPA and Dept. of Education and do their best to break all unions. They'll do their best to get rid of the Federal minimum wage too.

And all this is going to accomplish is that the working poor and middle class will put an even bigger burden on the government because they won't be able to afford to live and raise and educate their children without Medicaid, food stamps and welfare. Paul Ryan is trying to privatize Medicare and Social Security but he'll have a tough road with 40 million seniors and AARP against him. I'm sure his own parents will tell him to keep his hands off their very successful Medicare and Social Security. To try to take away much needed SECURITY that those programs provide for seniors is bordering on CRIMINAL. Not all seniors are wealthy. Most are not and are barely managing with the little that social security pays as it is.

God help us all.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
    Trump's choice for his Cabinet posts are putting the fox in charge of the hen house. They'll dismantle the EPA and Education and do their best to break all unions.

God help us all.
    "God" doesn't have your back, anymore than he did the well-dressed executioner photo'd in the world's newspapers a couple days ago.

The sooner we move away from religion in politics, the better we can look at the frauds we elect.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Seriously? With the sh1tshow that this transition has been, you think the marginalized left is as big a problem?

Aside from Hillary herself, what exactly is "the Clinton wing of their party?"
    Clinton wing = DINOs + Establishment supporters of Clinton ideology

And yes, the idea of a weak, directionless opposition party when a demagogue like Trump is in power is a huge problem.

The more I read about the transition, the more I believe this to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    "God" doesn't have your back, anymore than he did the well-dressed executioner photo'd in the world's newspapers a couple days ago.

The sooner we move away from religion in politics, the better we can look at the frauds we elect.
    Well, just so you know my post was kinda tongue in cheek. I have no idea if there is a God or not so my strategy has been to hedge my bets and hope for the best. Can't hurt. :-)

That guy was a Russian diplomat or Ambassador wasn't he? Maybe God just wanted to get even with Putin, whom I sure he dislikes intensely.

NYYF Legend

Well, just so you know my post was kinda tongue in cheek. I have no idea if there is a God or not so my strategy has been to hedge my bets and hope for the best. Can't hurt. :-)

That guy was a Russian diplomat or Ambassador wasn't he? Maybe God just wanted to get even with Putin, whom I sure he dislikes intensely.
    That wasn't spoken at you, per se. But to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

And yes, the idea of a weak, directionless opposition party when a demagogue like Trump is in power is a huge problem.

The next 4 years are going to be frightening. Everyday I read the NY Times and see one more story about how Donald Marie Antoinette Trump is going to squeeze the life out of anyone not in the 1%. The 1% gets richer everday and everyone else will will end up living from welfare check to welfare check, forget about living from paycheck to paycheck. We'll all have to work at McDonald's just to scarf up some fries to supplement the Food stamps. It's very disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

I agree that the Dems need to be vocal and strategic fighting Trump, however I don't agree with all this "Clinton Ideology" stuff. The platform is fine, they need a better messenger to energize their own base for midterms, and in 4 years.

I agree that the Dems need to be vocal and strategic fighting Trump, however I don't agree with all this "Clinton Ideology" stuff. The platform is fine, they need a better messenger to energize their own base for midterms, and in 4 years.
    Here's an optimistic start. Let's see how long it lasts.

President Obama announced on Tuesday what he called a permanent ban on offshore oil and gas drilling along wide areas of the Arctic and the Atlantic Seaboard as he tried to nail down an environmental legacy that cannot quickly be reversed by Donald J. Trump.

Mr. Obama invoked an obscure provision of a 1953 law, the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, which he said gives him the authority to act unilaterally. While some presidents have used that law to temporarily protect smaller portions of federal waters, Mr. Obama’s declaration of a permanent drilling ban on portions of the ocean floor from Virginia to Maine and along much of Alaska’s coast is breaking new ground. The declaration’s fate will almost certainly be decided by the federal courts.

“It’s never been done before,” said Patrick Parenteau, a professor of environmental law at Vermont Law School. “There is no case law on this. It’s uncharted waters.”

The move — considered creative by supporters and abusive by opponents — is one of many efforts by Mr. Obama to protect what environmental policies he can from a successor who has vowed to roll them back. The president, in concert with United Nations leaders, rushed countries to ratify the Paris Agreement on climate change, putting the multinational accord into force in record time, before Mr. Trump’s inauguration.

Why does the GOP fight so hard against clean air, clean water and environmental protection for the United States?

Here's an optimistic start. Let's see how long it lasts.

President Obama announced on Tuesday what he called a permanent ban on offshore oil and gas drilling along wide areas of the Arctic and the Atlantic Seaboard as he tried to nail down an environmental legacy that cannot quickly be reversed by Donald J. Trump.

Mr. Obama invoked an obscure provision of a 1953 law, the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, which he said gives him the authority to act unilaterally. While some presidents have used that law to temporarily protect smaller portions of federal waters, Mr. Obama’s declaration of a permanent drilling ban on portions of the ocean floor from Virginia to Maine and along much of Alaska’s coast is breaking new ground. The declaration’s fate will almost certainly be decided by the federal courts.

“It’s never been done before,” said Patrick Parenteau, a professor of environmental law at Vermont Law School. “There is no case law on this. It’s uncharted waters.”

The move — considered creative by supporters and abusive by opponents — is one of many efforts by Mr. Obama to protect what environmental policies he can from a successor who has vowed to roll them back. The president, in concert with United Nations leaders, rushed countries to ratify the Paris Agreement on climate change, putting the multinational accord into force in record time, before Mr. Trump’s inauguration.

Why does the GOP fight so hard against clean air, clean water and environmental protection for the United States?
    They don't specifically. They fight for the big businesses that are hurt by the legislation put in place to preserve clean air, water and environmental protection.

They don't specifically. They fight for the big businesses that are hurt by the legislation put in place to preserve clean air, water and environmental protection.
    I've been saying it for a long time now - the GOP would like nothing better than to turn the clock back to the early 1950's. No clean air act. No clean water act. No EPA. Men wore the pants in the family and women knew their place - at home baking cookies for the kids arrival from school at 3PM. Or maybe the prefer the 1850's when all the above is true and nobody but white men can vote. Yeah, that exactly what the GOP pine for.

I've been saying it for a long time now - the GOP would like nothing better than to turn the clock back to the early 1950's. No clean air act. No clean water act. No EPA. Men wore the pants in the family and women knew their place - at home baking cookies for the kids arrival from school at 3PM. Or maybe the prefer the 1850's when all the above is true and nobody but white men can vote. Yeah, that exactly what the GOP pine for.
    A lot of this is angst over white males losing dominance. Trump's base is all about backlash against being told to knock off the racism, misogyny, and xenophobia. It's pretty galling for any segment of the *this* country to make anti-immigration a main point of contention and still call themselves patriots.

A lot of this is angst over white males losing dominance. Trump's base is all about backlash against being told to knock off the racism, misogyny, and xenophobia. It's pretty galling for any segment of the *this* country to make anti-immigration a main point of contention and still call themselves patriots.
    "A lot of this is angst over white males losing dominance."

That says it all right there. Thankfully a majority of that group is nearing their sell-by date so there is hope for the future.

Nothing to add. I just needed to quote the above, because it's not often I agree so strongly with anything GC says.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I'm using the next few days to clean out my emails at work and here's something I found. Now I have to look for the rest. :-)

Tall Tales About Himself

Mr. Trump’s version of reality allows for few, if any, flaws in himself. As he tells it, the polls are always looking up, his policy solutions are painless and simple and his judgment regarding politics and people has been consistent — and flawless. The most consistent falsehood he tells about himself may be that he opposed the war in Iraq from the start, when the evidence shows otherwise.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Everything is cyclical and in my lifetime, it seems that the nation's voters rotate between the GOP and Dems every 8 years.

A new and improved Democratic party can showcase itself in '20, but more likely '24. In my lifetime, only Reagan was able to hand a 3rd term over to his successor. Bill Clinton and Obama came close with the popular vote, but not quite a 3rd term.

We had Obama for 8 years. Before that GW and the GOP ruled for 8 years. Before that Bubba ran things for 8 years. Before that Reagan/Bush were in charge for 12 years. Carter was the exception as the Democrats had control for 4 years. Before that, Nixon/Ford had the WH for 8 years. Before that JFK/LBJ had 2 terms. Before that Eisenhower had 2 terms. FDR/Truman had multiple terms.
    Going back and forth between the GOP and the Dems is one thing. Throwing an egotistical, authoritarian with no core beliefs disguised as a Republican into the mix is quite another. Don't normalize him.
    in fairness, GWB got in on a weird thing and the US didn't really elect trump, they failed to elect someone else.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Addicted Member

The next 4 years are going to be frightening. Everyday I read the NY Times and see one more story about how Donald Marie Antoinette Trump is going to squeeze the life out of anyone not in the 1%. The 1% gets richer everday and everyone else will will end up living from welfare check to welfare check, forget about living from paycheck to paycheck. We'll all have to work at McDonald's just to scarf up some fries to supplement the Food stamps. It's very disheartening.
    Every cloud has a silver lining. At least Trump won't end welfare after all.
    Happy 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    Every cloud has a silver lining. At least Trump won't end welfare after all.
    HA! No he won't ot with 200 million Americans living on welfare.

So hold up - now he is TOTALLY going to drain the swamp:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/21/politi...amp/index.html

"Someone incorrectly stated that the phrase "DRAIN THE SWAMP" was no longer being used by me. Actually, we will always be trying to DTS," he tweeted.
    Gingrich quickly admitted he "goofed" after Trump's tweet.

"I goofed. Draining the swamp is in, @realDonaldTrump is going to do it, and the alligators should be worried," he tweeted.
    Welcome to Newt Gingrich's new life as Trump's bottom.

Would you liken him more to Josh Earnest, Eric Holder, Al Sharpton or Dr. Frankenstein's monster, John Kerry (what the hell happened to him? Is that bad plastic surgery or what)?

Newt is learning the public prostration required of authoritarian loyalists. The dear leader often changes his mind but he's always correct.
    https://twitter.com/evan_mcmullin/st...96585982689280

High five, Evan!

The better I get to know Evan McMullin the more I like him. His twitter account is a gold mine.

have to give the trump team some props, they're willing to admit that much of what they said during the campaign is BS. some might call it "locker-room" talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    have to give the trump team some props, they're willing to admit that much of what they said during the campaign is BS. some might call it "locker-room" talk.
    I'm sure Trump looks at all his voters as just one more p*ssy he grabbed.

I'm sure Trump looks at all his voters as just one more p*ssy he grabbed.
    the way he's actually stating: "yeah, we just said that during the election" shows why i use the term suckers & morons so much.

Thread Information