+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Express Your Hope Or Trepidations About Our Future With Trump

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    From Bill Clinton's speech yesterday it seems they have learned nothing and I don't see much to indicate anyone in the DNC has.
    Sadly, yes. The left is acting like every negative stereotype they get accused of being. Unfortunately, many smart people can't get over their Trumprage to call it out and demand it get fixed.

Bernie appears to be trying, though.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by bertram01 View Post
    I agree. There seems to be a lot of personal animosity in the Election Thread.
    Change the title of this thread before they figure out it's here!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    LOL Let's just all behave ourselves and threads won't disappear. * crossing fingers *

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
    LOL Let's just all behave ourselves and threads won't disappear. * crossing fingers *
    Don't you tell me what to do, a@@ho...oh. Wait.

AGREED!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Sadly, yes. The left is acting like every negative stereotype they get accused of being. Unfortunately, many smart people can't get over their Trumprage to call it out and demand it get fixed.

Bernie appears to be trying, though.
    This honestly worries me as much as what may happen with Trump.

The left needs to rid itself of the Clinton wing of their party if they are to have any hope in 2018 and 2020.

Thankfully, from what I've heard, the Sanders/Warren/Ellison wing seems to be gaining traction from those within the party not associated with the Clintons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

The left needs to rid itself of the Clinton wing of their party if they are to have any hope in 2018 and 2020.

Thankfully, from what I've heard, the Sanders/Warren/Ellison wing seems to be gaining traction from those within the party not associated with the Clintons.
    That would be a smart move on the part of the Democrats.

That would be ideal.

In addition, the young people who got so caught up in the Bernie movement need to continue to support it, but I'm not sure they won't just drop politics and move onto the next thing to rally behind.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    That would be ideal.

In addition, the young people who got so caught up in the Bernie movement need to continue to support it, but I'm not sure they won't just drop politics and move onto the next thing to rally behind.
    Young people are pretty easy to energize. Getting them to actually vote is the hard part. For example, in CA where Bernie naturally had a huge following, they had a record number of new voters under 25 register. Only 10% of them actually cast a ballot.

Don't you tell me what to do, a@@ho...oh. Wait.

AGREED!

Glad to see posters here have a good sense of humor. Why get all upset about politics? It'll all change again in 4 years. ARRGGH

Quote Originally Posted by butterflies View Post
    Glad to see posters here have a good sense of humor. Why get all upset about politics? It'll all change again in 4 years. ARRGGH
    From your keyboard to Putin's eyes, hopefully he'll prefer someone new!

I'm sure that's what is going to happen when the pendulum swings the other way The election just ended and people are still shell shocked. At least everyone I know. Clinton's sphere of influence is over now.

From your keyboard to Putin's eyes, hopefully he'll prefer someone new!

That bromance will be going on for at least 4 years. Putin will squeeze every drop of power and every dime he can out of his association with Trump.

As soon as the Trump believers start to catch on that Trump is no better and actually worse than Clinton they'll start grumbling and looking for someone to blame for the unkept promises. No wall, no deportations, no jail for Hillary and no jobs coming back they'll have nobody to blame but the Republicans in power. It's put up or shut up time for the GOP. They swept in promising to fix what Obama and the Dems broke and when that doesn't happen they'll be mad as #ell. IF they admit it.

2018 is already pretty much a dead issue for the dems. 32 Senate seats up, 2 Independent, 22 Democratic and just 8 Republican seats up for reelection. If dems manage to lose 3 seats they will be lucky.
    Don't forget 435 House seats. It will be a referendum on Years 1 & 2 of Plan Trump. If it goes badly, and R seats are lost, all the rest will take notice, as will the Senators. Mid-terms are always a step back for the party in power, but if it is really bad, it will be a very BIG deal. It will also be a referendum on the opposition role played by the Ds until then. So they better get it right.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Don't forget 435 House seats. It will be a referendum on Years 1 & 2 of Plan Trump. If it goes badly, and R seats are lost, all the rest will take notice, as will the Senators. Mid-terms are always a step back for the party in power, but if it is really bad, it will be a very BIG deal. It will also be a referendum on the opposition role played by the Ds until then. So they better get it right.
    Maybe the Democrats should be the ones to end the gridlock that has been going on since the GOP Senate minority began daily filibusters in January of 2007. Let this new GOP Congress pass every rotten, lousy, crazy bill they want by simple majority. Let them show Americans just how awful their programs are, and how badly they will impact the majority of our citizens.

I think it's finally done.

8 years ago, after Obama won the primary and then the general election, most everyone believed that Hillary's time was going to come in '16. It was a cloud (dark one or one with a silver lining, depending on who you were) hanging over everyone over the past 8 years.

I think this time, the Clintons ride into the sunset. Unless, Chelsea is being groomed because without a potential Clinton taking over the WH down the road, the speaking fees and donations will dry up.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

Seriously? With the sh1tshow that this transition has been, you think the marginalized left is as big a problem?

Aside from Hillary herself, what exactly is "the Clinton wing of their party?"
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I think it's finally done.

8 years ago, after Obama won the primary and then the general election, most everyone believed that Hillary's time was going to come in '16. It was a cloud (dark one or one with a silver lining, depending on who you were) hanging over everyone over the past 8 years.

I think this time, the Clintons ride into the sunset. Unless, Chelsea is being groomed because without a potential Clinton taking over the WH down the road, the speaking fees and donations will dry up.
    Please. Enough of them. Let them retire and never be heard from publically again.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bertram01 View Post
    I agree. There seems to be a lot of personal animosity in the Election Thread.

We'll b OK until Gregorius Chant and Mr Coffee come here with their misplaced venom
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Too late. They already know.

Tell you what. I'm going to leave the election Thread and this one open, for now, but I'm planning on locking them both down with the inauguration. At that point, I'm leaning toward opening a "Current Events - Washington" thread and a "Current Events - not Washington" thread. I'll have to think about it. My Moderator alerts are centered better than 95% out of a single thread, which is a pain in the neck, but for the most part, I think there's been value to the community from leaving it open.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    We'll b OK until Gregorius Chant and Mr Coffee come here with their misplaced venom
    Fine. I'll start focusing my venom on YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Too late. They already know.

Tell you what. I'm going to leave the election Thread and this one open, for now, but I'm planning on locking them both down with the inauguration. At that point, I'm leaning toward opening a "Current Events - Washington" thread and a "Current Events - not Washington" thread. I'll have to think about it. My Moderator alerts are centered better than 95% out of a single thread, which is a pain in the neck, but for the most part, I think there's been value to the community from leaving it open.
    You are a wise and brave man. Except when discussing the popular vote.

OH DAMN YA BURNT

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Sad thing is I am not sure if Trump or Pence would be worse
    pence is terrifying. some of his personal beliefs are sickening.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

as someone from outside the US, my hopes for trump are generally the same as for any GOP president:
    - don't start any wars or blow stuff up cos someone said 'murica isn't perfect.
    - don't turn back the clock trying to make a modern country like the 1960s where racism, homophobia & sexism are evident in the laws of the land.
    - generally try act like a grown-up until someone who actually wants to run a country gets back in power.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Everything is cyclical and in my lifetime, it seems that the nation's voters rotate between the GOP and Dems every 8 years.

A new and improved Democratic party can showcase itself in '20, but more likely '24. In my lifetime, only Reagan was able to hand a 3rd term over to his successor. Bill Clinton and Obama came close with the popular vote, but not quite a 3rd term.

We had Obama for 8 years. Before that GW and the GOP ruled for 8 years. Before that Bubba ran things for 8 years. Before that Reagan/Bush were in charge for 12 years. Carter was the exception as the Democrats had control for 4 years. Before that, Nixon/Ford had the WH for 8 years. Before that JFK/LBJ had 2 terms. Before that Eisenhower had 2 terms. FDR/Truman had multiple terms.
    George, Gabe, Stick >> Hal, Randy, Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Everything is cyclical and in my lifetime, it seems that the nation's voters rotate between the GOP and Dems every 8 years.

A new and improved Democratic party can showcase itself in '20, but more likely '24. In my lifetime, only Reagan was able to hand a 3rd term over to his successor. Bill Clinton and Obama came close with the popular vote, but not quite a 3rd term.

We had Obama for 8 years. Before that GW and the GOP ruled for 8 years. Before that Bubba ran things for 8 years. Before that Reagan/Bush were in charge for 12 years. Carter was the exception as the Democrats had control for 4 years. Before that, Nixon/Ford had the WH for 8 years. Before that JFK/LBJ had 2 terms. Before that Eisenhower had 2 terms. FDR/Truman had multiple terms.
    Going back and forth between the GOP and the Dems is one thing. Throwing an egotistical, authoritarian with no core beliefs disguised as a Republican into the mix is quite another. Don't normalize him.

Thread Information