+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

I channel Evan J with Babe Ruth question

Babe Ruth hit his first career home run on May 6, 1915 in the Polo Grounds against the Yankees' Jack Warhop. His second career homer came on June 2, 1915, also in the Polo Grounds .... against the self-same Jack Warhop (what a great name, Jack Warhop). Are there any other Hall of Famers whose first TWO career homers were off the same pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Babe Ruth hit his first career home run on May 6, 1915 in the Polo Grounds against the Yankees' Jack Warhop. His second career homer came on June 2, 1915, also in the Polo Grounds .... against the self-same Jack Warhop (what a great name, Jack Warhop). Are there any other Hall of Famers whose first TWO career homers were off the same pitcher?
    So far, I've only made it through the Bs, and I already have 4 for you:

Frank H.R. Baker - 4/24/09 and 5/29/09 (1), off Frank Arellanes of the Red Sox, home and home.
    Ernie Banks - 9/20/53 and 9/26/53, off Gerry Staley of the Cardinals, home and home.
    Lou Boudreaux, 4/27/40, t1 and t8, off Hal Newhouser in Detroit
    Jesse Burkett, 6/23/1890 and 7/23/1890, off Bill Hutchinson of the Chicago Colts, both at Chicago's West Side Park.

I also discovered that Luis Aparicio hit his first career HR off Tommy Lasorda. That pleased me.
    Last edited by JL25and3; 11-05-16 at 09:43 AM.

NYYF Legend

Re: I channel Evan J with Babe Ruth question

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    So far, I've only made it through this Bs, and I already have 4 for you:
    I hope you meant "the B's"

I hope you meant "the B's"
    Oops. At first I thought you were correcting my punctuation, which I think was correct. But yeah, I slipped up on the definite article for sure.

NYYF HOF

I haven't been coming here during the offseason, but this is not something the baseball-reference Play Index can do anyway.

My username is EvanJ without a space.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I haven't been coming here during the offseason, but this is not something the baseball-reference Play Index can do anyway.

My username is Evan J without a space.
    Wel come
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2018)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post

My username is EvanJ without a space.
    I'll be sure to observe that in future official communications.

NYYF Legend

OK, I stand corrected on many fronts, is there a Hall of Famer who hit his first THREE homers off the same pitcher?

I will not ask EvaJn as I imagine the Play Index (or as we called in the 1970s, "Playtex" -- cross my heart!) can't answer it.

OK, I stand corrected on many fronts, is there a Hall of Famer who hit his first THREE homers off the same pitcher?

I will not ask EvaJn as I imagine the Play Index (or as we called in the 1970s, "Playtex" -- cross my heart!) can't answer it.
    There were others, too, I just didn't list them all. I think Duke Snider and Red Schoendienst were two.

None of the six I mentioned did. I'm not going through the whole HOF list again.

If you do, here's another question: Lou Boudreau hit his first two homers against Hal Newhouser. Are there any other Hall of Famers who hit their first two home runs off another Hall of Famer?

NYYF Legend

None of the six I mentioned did. I'm not going through the whole HOF list again.

If you do, here's another question: Lou Boudreau hit his first two homers against Hal Newhouser. Are there any other Hall of Famers who hit their first two home runs off another Hall of Famer?
    I don't know where you even found that list so unable to check on the Boudreau/Newhouser issue.

Newhouser, of course, later in life became a top scout in the Houston Astros organization and reportedly quit his job in disgust when the Astros picked Phil Nevin with the 5th pick in the 1993 draft, passing over that Jeter fellow for whom Newhouser advocated.

Boudreau, the last player-manager to win the World Series, didn't actually do all the managing for the 1948 Indians. He filled out the lineup card and ran the clubhouse, but the actual in-game strategerie was handled by veteran baseball man and HOFer Bill McKechnie. If we give McKechnie partial managerial credit for the '48 Indians, that gives him a hand in pennants with 4 different franchises and WS wins with 3. Off the top of my head I believe both would be records.

I don't know where you even found that list so unable to check on the Boudreau/Newhouser issue.

Newhouser, of course, later in life became a top scout in the Houston Astros organization and reportedly quit his job in disgust when the Astros picked Phil Nevin with the 5th pick in the 1993 draft, passing over that Jeter fellow for whom Newhouser advocated.

Boudreau, the last player-manager to win the World Series, didn't actually do all the managing for the 1948 Indians. He filled out the lineup card and ran the clubhouse, but the actual in-game strategerie was handled by veteran baseball man and HOFer Bill McKechnie. If we give McKechnie partial managerial credit for the '48 Indians, that gives him a hand in pennants with 4 different franchises and WS wins with 3. Off the top of my head I believe both would be records.

I did it by brute force, just like I had to do for many years with the Baseball Encyclopedia. For the first question, I went through the Hall of Famers and checked their home run logs. It basically took a whole weekend (hard to do for more than a few minutes at a time). This last time, I just checked the four I mentioned and the two I remembered. No way I was plodding through that whole list again - not yet, anyway.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

If we give McKechnie partial managerial credit for the '48 Indians, that gives him a hand in pennants with 4 different franchises and WS wins with 3. Off the top of my head I believe both would be records.

Are you just counting managers? If you include players, there's Skates Smith. He made the World Series with the 1980 Phillies (W), 1982 Cardinals (W), 1985 Royals (W), and 1991-2 Braves (lost both).
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Are you just counting managers? If you include players, there's Skates Smith. He made the World Series with the 1980 Phillies (W), 1982 Cardinals (W), 1985 Royals (W), and 1991-2 Braves (lost both).
    Just mgrs. Only other 3-franchise pennant winner I can think of is Dick Williams, though Leyland came oh-so-close.

Just mgrs. Only other 3-franchise pennant winner I can think of is Dick Williams, though Leyland came oh-so-close.
    Well, at least I got the chance to cite Lonnie's singular (AFAIK) achievement. I love that one because, y'know, Skates Smith?

NYYF Legend

McCarthy came pretty close too. Won pennants with Yankees and Cubs. With the Red Sox lost one game playoff in 1948 and had one game lead with two games to go in 1949.

NYYF Legend

Well, at least I got the chance to cite Lonnie's singular (AFAIK) achievement. I love that one because, y'know, Skates Smith?
    Too bad he brought his skates onto the basepaths in 1991 or he'd have won a WS with 4 different franchises.

Herb Pennock has the odd distinction of appearing for 4 straight pennant winners split over 2 teams: 1913-14 A's, 1915-16 Red Sox. But he only made 1 WS appearance in that span, with the 1914 A's, who were the only one of those 4 to lose. He then tacked on pennants with the 1923, 1926-28 and 1932 Yankees, meaning he appeared in regular season games for 9 pennant winners and 7 WS champs.

Thread Information