+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

2016 World Series - Chicago Cubs vs. Cleveland Indians

Somebody is going to end a very long streak. Cubs in 7.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Re: 2016 World Series - Chicago Cubs vs. Cleveland Indians

Ha ha...you guys wrote the same thing at the same time.

But yes, someone is going to end a long draught.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

Holy crap....Tom Ricketts really looks like Ted Cruz!

NYYF Legend

Baseball is still being played?
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Presuming there is no one or anything named either Murphy, goat or Billy on the Tribe, I'm on the Cubbies' bandwagon.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Baseball is still being played?
    By teams who made smart decisions....yes.
    Last edited by CalYankeeFan; 10-23-16 at 12:57 PM.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    By teams who made smart decisions prior to 2016....yes.
    The Cubs' trading for Aroldis Chapman at the July non-waiver deadline has proven huge for them, so I believe that's it's not just the winter preparatory moves that kept teams playing this fall.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF MVP

I don't mind either team. I like Francona, I like Maddon a lot, like watching both Miller and Chapman, and a bunch of guys from both teams.

I'm l rooting Indians though, only so ESPN's year of "OMG HAVE YOU NOTICED ITS THE CUBS YEAR?!!!1!" can end in tears and disarray. That's really it. Don't mind the team, but holy ****, there are 30 baseball teams out there. I understand the storyline, I really do, but this whole year has felt like when Boston articles or announcers are so biased that they detract from my interest in baseball as a whole.

I can't be the only one feeling like a historical pessimist rooting against the Cubs, but sweet lord, I've long since had my fill of this team's coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sultans of Swing View Post
    I don't mind either team. I like Francona, I like Maddon a lot, like watching both Miller and Chapman, and a bunch of guys from both teams.

I'm l rooting Indians though, only so ESPN's year of "OMG HAVE YOU NOTICED ITS THE CUBS YEAR?!!!1!" can end in tears and disarray. That's really it. Don't mind the team, but holy ****, there are 30 baseball teams out there. I understand the storyline, I really do, but this whole year has felt like when Boston articles or announcers are so biased that they detract from my interest in baseball as a whole.

I can't be the only one feeling like a historical pessimist rooting against the Cubs, but sweet lord, I've long since had my fill of this team's coverage.
    This post summarizes my feelings, too.

Cubs last won the NL pennant in 1945. Indians last won the AL pennant in 1948. I hope the media plays up that both cities have waited a very long time. Imo, the Indians are the ultimate underdogs, based on injuries.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    The Cubs' trading for Aroldis Chapman at the July non-waiver deadline has proven huge for them, so I believe that's it's not just the winter preparatory moves that kept teams playing this fall.
    Point taken. Original post fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    This post summarizes my feelings, too.

Cubs last won the NL pennant in 1945. Indians last won the AL pennant in 1948. I hope the media plays up that both cities have waited a very long time. Imo, the Indians are the ultimate underdogs, based on injuries.
    I don't think this is accurate.
    The Indians won the AL pennant in 1997 and were an out away from winning the World Series - IIRC.

The last time the Indians won the Series was in 1948 but they've won a few AL pennants since then.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

I'm rooting against the Cubs too.
    However - I really dislike Maddon.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

NYYF Legend

I'm rooting for the Cubs just because I am super jealous of how sick their lineup is. Mad jealous.
    NYYFANS.com Fantasy Baseball: Carolina Force
    2010, 2011 & 2015 Gehrig Division Champs.

Point taken. Original post fixed.
    Sounds good, and please enjoy the games (regardless of who you're rooting for, and the final outcome).

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I'm rooting against the Cubs too.
    However - I really dislike Maddon.
    Because of the team he used to manage, or how he's managed the Cubs?

Speaking of which, this WS, in addition to being one of the 70-year drought, is also a reunion of the AL East managers. Now who do you love? Or despise the least?

If ESPN/NESN-2 is for the Cubbies, I could be swayed to the Cleveland side.

In 1986, the Mets won. In 1986-87, the NY Giants, led by Phil Simms, won. This could be similar, after King James and the Cavs won big.

NYYF Legend

Sounds good, and please enjoy the games (regardless of who you're rooting for, and the final outcome).
    I picked Cubs in 7, but I am hoping to just sit back and enjoy this. There are enough good stories that either team winning is ok by me.

im rooting for cleveland
    always reasonable

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I'm rooting for Cleveland too. 2016 - year of Cleveland!

Mainly there are so few constants in life, I want the lovable loser Cubs to remain one of those constants, plus I can't stomach Theo Epstein being the guy who ended the Sox and Cubs droughts. I just hate him too much.

Oh, plus the Cubs are owned by a terrible family so f them.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Ha - I'm also rooting for Cleveland but thought I would be in the extreme minority here. The Cubs hype has just gotten too unbearable.

That said, I won't be mad if the Cubs win either. I like the players on the team a lot and I have some friends who are long-suffering Cubs fans and would be happy for them.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

I picked Cubs in 7, but I am hoping to just sit back and enjoy this. There are enough good stories that either team winning is ok by me.
    I just wish thst ESPN had not done their self-serving, attention-hogging maneuver in declaring this the Cubs' year. How would they know who will win?

Both teams have long-suffering fans. Cubs fans also have a unique addition of being the other two-team city. The Pale Hose also won it all in 2005.

We'll have to see how this Tale of two cities plays out on the field ... and in Wrigley Field's infamous ivy.

On another note, when is the last time that two Midwestern cities made it to the Big Dance? They could just take a bus on travel day, to avoid the jet lag.

I just wish thst ESPN had not done their self-serving, attention-hogging maneuver in declaring this the Cubs' year. How would they know who will win?

Both teams have long-suffering fans. Cubs fans also have a unique addition of being the other two-team city. The Pale Hose also won it all in 2005.

We'll have to see how this Tale of two cities plays out on the field ... and in Wrigley Field's infamous ivy.

On another note, when is the last time that two Midwestern cities made it to the Big Dance? They could just take a bus on travel day, to avoid the jet lag.
    St. Louis/Detroit 10 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I don't think this is accurate.
    The Indians won the AL pennant in 1997 and were an out away from winning the World Series - IIRC.

The last time the Indians won the Series was in 1948 but they've won a few AL pennants since then.
    Wow, you're correct- thanks. I don't know how that slipped my mind. That was a great Indians team, I'm surprised they didn't win a ring with that team.

Still, most of their fans weren't even born the last time the Tribe won a WS.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Wow, you're correct- thanks. I don't know how that slipped my mind. That was a great Indians team, I'm surprised they didn't win a ring with that team.

Still, most of their fans weren't even born the last time the Tribe won a WS.
    That game 7 in 1997 was insane.

How many managers have won WS titles with multiple teams? All I can think of from recent history is LaRussa but I'm sure there are others. Francona could join that exclusive group next week.

Thread Information