+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Knicks 2016-2017 Season, Super Team Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    This is really overdramatic. The league is top-heavy this year, but basketball from 2010-now is much better than post MJ till then. The warriors were nowhere 6 years ago- they assembled the best regular season team of all time without a major FA signing. Somehow we'll all get over KD signing with them.

The 80s were everyone's NBA golden age, but only 3-4 teams had a chance to win at any given time then.
    I think it's actually spot on. There is no 5-year business plan way of contending in the NBA. It's all dumb luck (having high enough picks in only the right draft class years and players meshing together with the right coach & system and having it all fit under the cap)

There isn't enough (elite) basketball talent in the world. The NBA is maybe not quite SO much more barren than other sports in terms of superstars, but the key difference is in other sports you can still win without them

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    So...where are all those posters who were saying Melo's contract would be a bargain under the new collective bargaining agreement? The Knicks are likely going to end up trading him (if they're lucky) in a complete salary dump with minimal assets coming back.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Waiting for Snatch Catch to enter...

NYYF Legend

Melo is a ball hog scorer who can occasionally win games by himself but I've long said he'll never win a title unless he becomes a full 2nd (or 3rd) banana on a super team.

None of this surprises me about him.
    Baseball is life;

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    So let's say Dolan hires the best & most qualified GM with an unlimited budget and banishes himself to Siberia, the Knicks would still not get anywhere because it's impossible in the NBA. There's not enough basketball talent in the world to fill a dozen teams let alone 30. It's not enough to get paid, the stars now want to get paid and only play for a contender. There are only 2 or 3 teams with any chance to win each year. The best rebuild right now is Boston and still they'll never sniff the championship. This league is f**ked
    That's why I don't follow it. Every fall you know who 3 of the final 4 teams will be. No drama at all.

What I don't understand then is why are teams values skyrocketing and why is the league more popular than ever before when of all the 4 major sports it has the most predictable outcome with the least amount of exciting Cinderella teams. 80% of teams fans know their team has no shot of winning.

NYYF Legend

I think it's actually spot on. There is no 5-year business plan way of contending in the NBA. It's all dumb luck (having high enough picks in only the right draft class years and players meshing together with the right coach & system and having it all fit under the cap)

There isn't enough (elite) basketball talent in the world. The NBA is maybe not quite SO much more barren than other sports in terms of superstars, but the key difference is in other sports you can still win without them
    Haha, you think your own post is spot on, eh? The NBA only has 5 players on the floor at one time, it's always gonna be star dominated compared to 11 player football or 9 player baseball. I see no objective reason to think there is less elite basketball talent now than 10 years ago or 30 years ago or whenever.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Waiting for Snatch Catch to enter...
    The market on him is 100% the product of his NTC & to a lesser extent the kicker, two things I didn't consider enough. Even with that, I still believe he has good value and they are - at the very least - going to be able to clear the decks and reset. They will be able to trade him and not get saddled with somebody else's problems to do so.

At the same time, I'd have thought you'd have learned to wait and see what happens with these types of situations before making declarative posts. Kill some time until we get substantive results to analyze - I hear MLBTV is running a show tonight in which that shortstop the Yankees took the safe way out on is slated be ranked the 2nd or 3rd best prospect in the entire sport. That should be good for an hour or two of distraction.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

God bless Charles Oakley. <3

NYYF Legend

so from what I gather Dolan has an issue with Oakley, Oakley never gets an invite to the garden, and Dolan refuses to speak/meet with him. So Oakley ponies up to buy floor seats 4 rows above Dolan and starts yelling at him. Dolan says talk to my security, Oakley pushes them around, gets ejected, makes a big scene, arrested for assault

NYYF Legend

so from what I gather Dolan has an issue with Oakley, Oakley never gets an invite to the garden, and Dolan refuses to speak/meet with him. So Oakley ponies up to buy floor seats 4 rows above Dolan and starts yelling at him. Dolan says talk to my security, Oakley pushes them around, gets ejected, makes a big scene, arrested for assault
    The big disappointment here being that Oak didn't get to knock that little Harvey Fierstein sound-alike's teeth out his a.sshole.

NYYF Cy Young

I can't get over how f*cking sh*tty it is to kick a guy out of a game because he yelled at you about how much you suck and then release a statement that tries to make it sound like the dude has a drug problem. That is one of the most bitch moves I can think of.

NYYF Triple Crown

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/n...ehavior-020817

Video is on here. Second one.

From the video it escalates as security starts touching him and telling him what to do. He hit first and starts pushing the other guy too.

They could've prevented this from further escalating by simply telling him to just calm down. The guy paid for his seats after all. But maybe he didn't want to be calmed down. So who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    I can't get over how f*cking sh*tty it is to kick a guy out of a game because he yelled at you about how much you suck and then release a statement that tries to make it sound like the dude has a drug problem. That is one of the most bitch moves I can think of.

Just like he called a fan of 60 years an "alcoholic" because he dared to write Dolan a critical letter.

http://deadspin.com/dolan-start-root...s-d-1684489469

Knicks ain't winning a chip until this sack of ................ dies.

NYYF Legend

So is this incident really Oakley being just another frustrated Knick fan who took matters into his own hands or is there some sort of history between Dolan and Oakley?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    So is this incident really Oakley being just another frustrated Knick fan who took matters into his own hands or is there some sort of history between Dolan and Oakley?
    There's history going back at least several years.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    There's history going back at least several years.
    Ok. I haven't really followed the Knicks closely in years so I wasn't sure if there was a back story here.

NYYF Legend

It's getting really hard to even care about this team anymore.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Ok. I haven't really followed the Knicks closely in years so I wasn't sure if there was a back story here.
    You haven't missed much. Outside of one year when Melo showed up, I think Oakley was still playing the last time the Knicks were relevant in the NBA discussion.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    It's getting really hard to even care about this team anymore.
    I'm just glad I moved out of town and don't have nightly access to the drugs, I mean games.

NYYF Legend

You haven't missed much. Outside of one year when Melo showed up, I think Oakley was still playing the last time the Knicks were relevant in the NBA discussion.
    Ha. I think Ewing was still playing the last time I was legitimately interested in the Knicks.

Dolan has fired MSG's senior VP of security, and a source says more firings could be coming. Which is weird since the Knicks have been steadfastly blaming Oakley for the whole thing, so how could their security staff be at fault in any way?

http://nypost.com/2017/02/10/msgs-se...kley-incident/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Dolan has fired MSG's senior VP of security, and a source says more firings could be coming. Which is weird since the Knicks have been steadfastly blaming Oakley for the whole thing, so how could their security staff be at fault in any way?

http://nypost.com/2017/02/10/msgs-se...kley-incident/
    They didn't get him out quickly and quietly enough and brought down bad PR on a disgrace of an owner?
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

They didn't get him out quickly and quietly enough and brought down bad PR on a disgrace of an owner?
    any way you look at it Dolan is completely f**ked. He's the new Donald Sterling and I bet you he's in full panic mode right now. Nobody is going to come play for the Knicks so long as he's owner and he's being blasted at all levels from players and execs from around the league

If he's smart, and he's not, instead of blaming all this on security he should reach out and publicly make amends with Oakley and replace Phil Jackson with a seasoned NBA executive and step away on a long sabbatical in the Cayman Islands or somewhere very far and with very little communication abilities

NYYF Legend

any way you look at it Dolan is completely f**ked. He's the new Donald Sterling and I bet you he's in full panic mode right now. Nobody is going to come play for the Knicks so long as he's owner and he's being blasted at all levels from players and execs from around the league

If he's smart, and he's not, instead of blaming all this on security he should reach out and publicly make amends with Oakley and replace Phil Jackson with a seasoned NBA executive and step away on a long sabbatical in the Cayman Islands or somewhere very far and with very little communication abilities
    ...but isn't attendance great?
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    ...but isn't attendance great?
    there's always going to be 20,000 people to fill that place, but the amount they're willing to pay is on the downslope

Thread Information