+ Reply to Thread

2016-17 Golden State Warriors Thread

Very interesting read here.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/ope...-the-warriors/

Some questions.

73-9 was insane. But can they actually beat it?

As of now, I can't even imagine what a loss of theirs would look like, much less a string of losses? Can they actually go undeafeated??

NYYF Legend

Re: 2016-17 Golden State Warriors Thread

This is the kind of article that reminds me what I don't like about sports journalism (I do like certain things, mainly when the more creative types like Zach Lowe/Barnwell/Peter King/Simmons/whoever get free reign to not write click-bait):

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-their-way-nba

They are 35-6 and have a better point differential than last year, but Strauss is employed to write provocative pieces that get views, so he semi invented a story and semi blew up a tiny team efficiency thing (sure, the Curry-Durant fit isn't perfect, but there are very very few perfect fits in the NBA, let alone between 2 alpha types in their first 40 games together).

He was probably irritated when the Warriors blew out Cleveland the other night (despite being essentially a Warriors beat reporter), as them losing again would have really made his story that he's clearly been building for awhile. On the other side, the Cavs click-bait guy is licking his chops about his coming feature on the fall of the champions.

I don't blame Strauss or anything, he had to write something. The whole lowest common denominator ad-driven system just creates weird incentives for sports journalists (something good happened? lame..... something that someone might find slightly controversial happened? time for a few feature stories)

NYYF Legend

It's a pretty simple formula for GSW

Play defense, don't have too many sloppy turnovers, don't have anyone of Curry, Thompson, Green, or Durrant hurt/suspended and they are are awfully tough to beat.

When they don't show up on defense, don't take care of the ball, or are missing one of their 4 superstars they are a beatable team.

I'm not sure this years team is better or worse than last years, both are very, very good and both are somewhat different. Last year's squad was deeper for sure, this years starters are more talented as a group.

One thing that might bite them in a short series is defensive rebounding. If they have one weakness, that is it.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I'm not sure this years team is better or worse than last years, both are very, very good and both are somewhat different. Last year's squad was deeper for sure, this years starters are more talented as a group.

One thing that might bite them in a short series is defensive rebounding. If they have one weakness, that is it.
    I agree that they are pretty similar at least from a regular season perspective to last year's team.

They do retain similar weaknesses - when teams are able to get more physical with them both on defense and rebounding and throw off their timing, they can end up in dogfights. Of course, most teams that fit that bill don't have nearly the talent or speed that they do, so it just doesn't matter most nights. Basically it just boils down to Cleveland when they feel like playing and San Antonio, and the Spurs have a hard time with their speed... I can't see the Rockets really giving GS problems with Harden having to defend someone.

Draymond potentially losing his mind in any given game is another obvious carryover flaw from last year.

NYYF Legend

If LAC is healthy (they never seem to be Paul injured again) they can create some match-up problems with Blake.

Houston can win a shootout but I doubt they can win more than 2 games in a series with GSW but they are clearly a much better team without Howard than they were with him. They are a scarier team than they have been the last 2 years.

SA can absolutely give GSW a run for their money and Aldridge can be a match-up nightmare for GSW on the glass.

Memphis can present problems for GSW with their size but I don't think they have the fire power to exploit those problems over a 7 game series.

The Least is a joke outside of Cleveland. I mean maybe Toronto gets hot and gives Cleveland a series in the Eastern Conference finals but I don't see Toronto taking more than 2 games if Cleveland is healthy when they meet.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    If LAC is healthy (they never seem to be Paul injured again) they can create some match-up problems with Blake.

Houston can win a shootout but I doubt they can win more than 2 games in a series with GSW but they are clearly a much better team without Howard than they were with him. They are a scarier team than they have been the last 2 years.

SA can absolutely give GSW a run for their money and Aldridge can be a match-up nightmare for GSW on the glass.
    Blake is an even worse health problem than Paul, I would be surprised if LAC is ever running at full strength and in sync for a long period going forward.

Houston is definitely more interesting this year... but they are playing a style that GS is better at, and GS will go at Harden every play on D. I just can't imagine they defend enough to win a 7 game series. Really looking forward to their game this friday though.

Aldridge? Both Durant and Draymond have a better rebounding rate than him this year, they match up fine with him on the glass. SAS's supporting cast is better at rebounding, though.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Aldridge? Both Durant and Draymond have a better rebounding rate than him this year, they match up fine with him on the glass. SAS's supporting cast is better at rebounding, though.
    Aldridge had 14 boards the first time they met but more importantly 8 offensive rebounds as the Warriors got spanked by 30 in the home opener and were out rebounded 55-35. San Antonio had 21 offensive boards that game. It's a problem if they don't clean that up.

One thing is clear, Pachulia is no Bogut on the defensive end.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information