+ Reply to Thread
Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78 128 168 175 176 177 178
Results 4,426 to 4,442 of 4442

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

Michael Saunders is close to signing with the Phillies.

Sources: Danny Duffy and the Kansas City Royals have agreed on a five-year, $65 million contract extension.- jeff passan

NYYF Legend

Wow, this is a potentially ridiculous steal of a contract for KC.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 5m5 minutes ago
    Sources: Danny Duffy and the Kansas City Royals have agreed on a five-year, $65 million contract extension.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Kind of like Quintana's deal....

NYYF Legend

Nah, Quintana's contract is measurably better than Duffy's.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Anyone but Blake or Gleyber.
    I could part with Rutherford for Quintana. A deal structured around him and Mateo (assuming no other big pieces are involved) would be an absolute steal for us.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    I could part with Rutherford for Quintana. A deal structured around him and Mateo (assuming no other big pieces are involved) would be an absolute steal for us.
    Get back to me on that when Rutherford evolves into the 25-30 HR hitter he's projected to become. That's not even counting Mateo.

Giving up those types of blue-chip prospects for a #2 starter is absurd.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

So who is this Ji-Man Choi ?
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Get back to me on that when Rutherford evolves into the 25-30 HR hitter he's projected to become. That's not even counting Mateo.

Yeah, I want no part of Quintana if it involves Rutherford. Hell, I don't want any part of Quintana for most of the prospects the Yankees now boast. Now's not the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Yeah, I want no part of Quintana if it involves Rutherford. Hell, I don't want any part of Quintana for most of the prospects the Yankees now boast. Now's not the time.
    Exactly. Trading blue-chippers when it still won't transform this team into a legitimate World Series contender defies logic.

If Cashman wouldn't do it for Chris Sale, why should he do it for Quintana?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Nope. Can't do Rutherford. He has the highest hitting ability of any prospect we've had not named Nick Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    So who is this Ji-Man Choi ?
    Left-hand hitting 1B / Corner OF type who showed good AAA numbers but didn't translate them in the majors.

Think of him as a Lyle Overbay / Garrett Jones / Chris Parmelee-type. Depth in case Bird gets hurt or really truly struggles.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

I would also make this move.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
    Left-hand hitting 1B / Corner OF type who showed good AAA numbers but didn't translate them in the majors.

Think of him as a Lyle Overbay / Garrett Jones / Chris Parmelee-type. Depth in case Bird gets hurt or really truly struggles.
    I figured they'd sign someone like this to a minor league deal and certainly like the choice. He seems like primarily a 1B/DH option but he's only 25 and has hit very well in the minors. His major league stats are really thrown off by an absurdly low .173 BABIP, which doesn't correlate to his batted ball statistics. I'm trying to find some signal as to why it was so bad, but other than a high IFFB% the rest of his contact stats look average. Combine that with a very good K/BB for a young player, and he seems like a nice upside pickup.

I don't think it says too much about the major league team, other than some needed LH depth. Hopefully, it also frees Refsnyder up to play some more valuable positions if he does end up in AAA to start the year.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post

I'm just going to respectfully leave this here.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers.

my blog: http://nybaseballoffice.blogspot.com

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    As is often the case, F1 cutting through the BS and nailing it on the head.

I like FIP but I, too, have been a critic of WAR as a panacea for baseball evaluation. However, I think devaluing SABR or advanced metrics is absurd.
    In his quest to troll my posts and provoke confrontation a certain poster has once again misrepresented my position. For the record, , I believe statistical analysis has value and certainly has a place in player evaluation, I have stated that many times. However, I also believe that some ( not everyone) take it to an extreme. I agree with Bill Marsh and others who have stated there's more to some of these stats (such as FIP) than just luck. A recent example of this is when the Yankees acquired Evolidi. Some used statistical analysis to argue that Evoldi's lack of sucess in the NL was due to bad luck. My position was that I had seen Evoldi pitch a hand full of times and his lack of sucess was due to a straight fastball and very mediocre secondery pitches, a bad combo even if you throw 97. So while I believe SABR has value, it's not the end all to player evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    In his quest to troll my posts and provoke confrontation a certain poster has once again misrepresented my position. For the record, , I believe statistical analysis has value and certainly has a place in player evaluation, I have stated that many times. However, I also believe that some ( not everyone) take it to an extreme. I agree with Bill Marsh and others who have stated there's more to some of these stats (such as FIP) than just luck. A recent example of this is when the Yankees acquired Evolidi. Some used statistical analysis to argue that Evoldi's lack of sucess in the NL was due to bad luck. My position was that I had seen Evoldi pitch a hand full of times and his lack of sucess was due to a straight fastball and very mediocre secondery pitches, a bad combo even if you throw 97. So while I believe SABR has value, it's not the end all to player evaluation.
    Who is on a quest?

Thread Information