+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

With the season over, fair to start thinking about possible moves this offseason. Personally, I'd love to see a #2 type starter, and maybe one offensive upgrade. The two opportunities I might pursue on offense would be at 3B, where perhaps a deal can be found somewhere for Headley. Or OF, which would require finding a landing spot for Gardner (or Ellsbury if at all possible). Both are positions that have been sorely lacking in power production.

As for pitching, perhaps a buy low opportunity on Sonny Gray?

Too much to reach for? Too little? Welcome other thoughts...
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    With the season over, fair to start thinking about possible moves this offseason. Personally, I'd love to see a #2 type starter, and maybe one offensive upgrade. The two opportunities I might pursue on offense would be at 3B, where perhaps a deal can be found somewhere for Headley. Or OF, which would require finding a landing spot for Gardner (or Ellsbury if at all possible). Both are positions that have been sorely lacking in power production.

TBH, moving one of Ellsbury/Gardner and McCann should be first on the agenda with Chapman being the second or third.

Id prefer to go with internal options for all other upgrades.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    TBH, moving one of Ellsbury/Gardner and McCann should be first on the agenda with Chapman being the second or third.

Id prefer to go with internal options for all other upgrades.
    I love Chapman, but spending $17-$18 million/per year on a closer is a ridiculous waste of resources for a team in a state of transition and trying to get under the luxury tax threshold.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I love Chapman, but spending $17-$18 million/per year on a closer is a ridiculous waste of resources for a team in a state of transition and trying to get under the luxury tax threshold.
    Not if they trade McCann and one of Gardner/Ellsbury.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Not if they trade McCann and one of Gardner/Ellsbury.
    Plenty of ifs and really has no bearing on the foolishness of paying a closer $17-$18 million per year.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

More than anything we need a new manager.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Plenty of ifs and really has no bearing on the foolishness of paying a closer $17-$18 million per year.
    We paid Rivera 15 mil during a time closers weren't getting paid.

Addicted Member

We wouldn't have had to spend anything extra if we held on to Miller, in fact we'd be in the playoffs most likely. But it doesn't matter what the price is - this team needs a top-shelf closer. Betances is not it.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

With regards to pitching, I would like to see what the Yankees can get for Pineda, as I just feel he won't ever be successful in NY.

Going into next year, the staff will be anchored by Tanaka, with Sabathia providing depth in the back end. In between is currently Question Mark & the Mysterians.

I feel that we need to give our prospects a try - we have a plethora of potential arms that, while there may not be a true number two there right now, could develop,

So, while I am not adverse to trying to secure someone to slot behind Tanaka, I don't want to spend the farm to acquire such an arm. I would rather the 2017 Yankees see what Cessa, Green, Severino (although I am leaning towards pulling a Betances on him and sending him permanently to the bullpen), Montgomery, Kaprielian, Enns and even Bleier can give them in the rotation.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    With regards to pitching, I would like to see what the Yankees can get for Pineda, as I just feel he won't ever be successful in NY.

Going into next year, the staff will be anchored by Tanaka, with Sabathia providing depth in the back end. In between is currently Question Mark & the Mysterians.

I feel that we need to give our prospects a try - we have a plethora of potential arms that, while there may not be a true number two there right now, could develop,

So, while I am not adverse to trying to secure someone to slot behind Tanaka, I don't want to spend the farm to acquire such an arm. I would rather the 2017 Yankees see what Cessa, Green, Severino (although I am leaning towards pulling a Betances on him and sending him permanently to the bullpen), Montgomery, Kaprielian, Enns and even Bleier can give them in the rotation.
    Id like to see a change of scenery thing for Pineda. Maybe Robbie Ray?

NYYF MVP

I'm okay with moving McCann, and I'm also okay with having him around to be a backup catcher, backup 1st baseman, and occasional DH. We could also carry Austin to backup Bird on occasion and play corner OF; that way we don't need to waste a roster spot on someone who can only play 1st. I like the idea of having a roster where most backups can play multiple positions. I don't look at Romine as having any value as a backup since he's basically been replacement level his entire career. Higashioka is fine as a third option, but I have a feeling that Sanchez/Higashioka has a lot of volatility and could go sour fast if Sanchez has some sophomore slump periods. So if we move McCann, I would prepare to bring in a decent backup...and that makes me begin to question if that makes it worth moving McCann, unless we get a decent asset back.

If you can move Ellsbury, you should, but I can't see much a scenario where we end up getting a return that's attractive. I would expect to keep him.

Gardner can definitely receive something of quality in return, but that probably means beginning the season with Hicks as starter and then relying on Frazier to take over and play well. That kind of scares me, since I think we should make a run at the playoffs without sacrificing any prospects (unless we got a young superstar in return). I think it would be a safer move to keep him and consider moving him next trade deadline if we're out of it, or if Frazier is killing AAA (or the MLB, should he force a move).

The one area I would look to improve is 2B. Someone mentioned grabbing Joe Panik, and I think he would be a great player to acquire to go along with Didi and Castro (where Castro becomes a backup that can play two positions and start when he's on one of his hot streaks).

I support signing Chapman. He was great here and he won't cost a pick. Clippard-> Betances -> Chapman is lock down quality and we have a ton of young guys that can round out the rest of the bullpen.

I also support grabbing a starter. I like the idea of Gio Gonzalez personally, since he wouldn't require major assets and isn't a long-term commitment.

tl;dr: if you're expecting something major, prepare to be disappointed.

Time to reset the luxury tax melon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post

The one area I would look to improve is 2B. Someone mentioned grabbing Joe Panik, and I think he would be a great player to acquire to go along with Didi and Castro (where Castro becomes a backup that can play two positions and start when he's on one of his hot streaks).

I support signing Chapman. He was great here and he won't cost a pick.
    It was mentioned on RAB that Cashman and the Giants had discussions about Pineda for Panik. I'd revist the trade because I believe Pineda is what he has shown to be- and he's entering his walk year.

Castro's end of the season push would make him more attractive to another team. And trading for Panik will allow us to trade Castro's salary.

Losing Castro, combined with parting ways with both Eovaldi and Pineda, will save around $20 million. That could allow us to sign Chapman, keep the draft pick, and drop under the new luxury tax threshold.
    Trade Ellsbury. Keep Gardner.

Bump to top

Bump - Last time

I'm guessing that right now, CC is our #2. #3 at the lowest if Pineda is still around.

I'd be happy if CC was pushed to the back end, because that would indicate a successful offseason.

In addition to his salary, another reason why it's important to trade McCann is for T. Austin's development next season.

If McCann is primarily the 1b/DH, then that might push Austin off the 25 man. Assuming Hicks is the 4th OF, Torreyes the utility IF, and Romine/Higgy the backup catcher- then that leaves one more spot.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    In addition to his salary, another reason why it's important to trade McCann is for T. Austin's development next season.

If McCann is primarily the 1b/DH, then that might push Austin off the 25 man. Assuming Hicks is the 4th OF, Torreyes the utility IF, and Romine/Higgy the backup catcher- then that leaves one more spot.
    DFA Hicks, IMO - if someone picks him up, so be it.

With the plethora of outfield prospects we have, we don't need him as a 4th or even 5th OFer.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

DFA Hicks, IMO - if someone picks him up, so be it.

With the plethora of outfield prospects we have, we don't need him as a 4th or even 5th OFer.
    Yeah right. No chance Cashman DFA's Jackie Bradley Jr Jr.

FWIW I agree with you though.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I loved the music of Question Mark and the Mysterians.

NYYF Legend

I'm surprise that people group Didi and Castro together. Didi is ranked at 12 in fWAR and 14 in wRC+ among all qualified SS in the major.

He's the definition of slightly above average SS. He is still young and cost controlled. Untouchable he is not but I would not trade him unless some teams want to vastly overpay, or until Torres and Mateo show that they could hit at AAA.

NYYF Legend

Both Girardi and Cashman contracts are through 2017 only. The one year deal to Rothschild is a telling sign that Hal would clean house if 2017 goes wrong.

Calls a tool a tool

Who? Valbuena?

NYYF Legend

Actually they don't need to give him a chance to actually play the game in order to see if he can play 2B. There is fielding practice and they draw the conclusion that he is not a capable major league 2B.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Actually they don't need to give him a chance to actually play the game in order to see if he can play 2B. There is fielding practice and they draw the conclusion that he is not a capable major league 2B.
    Nor is Castro or Brian Roberts. Both atrocious defensively. It's also hard to improve at a postion, when you are constantly being asked to learn a new one.

he was capable enough to start a go-or-go home game last year, but couldn't fill in for Castro in meaningless (and yes they were meaningless despite the crap that Clueless Joe spewed about winning games after the sweep in Boston) games?

something does not compute

speaking of Boston, on the brightside they're sticking with Farrell who's also a bad manager. Maybe New York will have a shot next year
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Thread Information