+ Reply to Thread
Page 171 of 211 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 181 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 5261

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Dustin Pedroia. 8 years for $110mil. League MVP, 201 hits in 2016. Same age as Ellsbury.

He easily left $40mil on the table.
    He wasn't a free agent. His 8 year deal was made in July 2013.

He was signed for 2014 with a club option for 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I've said this before, there is no way to defend giving Ellsbury 7/155 and drawing the line with Cano at 7/175. I said it three years ago, I'll say it again now, and I will continue to say it. Cano was under appreciated by many Yankee fans and Yankee management. Heck I would have given Cano 7/200 before I gave Ellsbury 7/155. Just plain stupid.
    Obviously the money is absurd, but 7 years for Ellsbury is patently rediculous. Getting what he hoped was going to be a table-setter for a team struggling to hit .250 with the likelihood they weren't going improve the lineup in the near future was a typical Cashman move.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    http://riveraveblues.com/2017/01/sco...derson-148659/

"Given the decided lack of interest and his ugly medical history, itís difficult to see Anderson getting anything more than one year and $5M or so. Maybe a desperate team stretches their budget and gives him $7M, but I donít see it. A low base salary short-term deal with incentives based on innings and/or starts seems most likely, does it not?"

Big Risk, small investment and doesn't really block anyone's future. Maybe the guy has a season like he did in 2015. If he's terrible after 10 starts, oh well - it's only money, and he's banished. I'd go for it.
    It's funny when $5 mil is throw-away money. Being that he's been healthy one year of the last 5, I'd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I love how Cashman discusses trading Gardner so flippantly. It's even become a proper noun of sorts. A Gardner Tradeô.
    It must give Gardy a warm feeling to see his name bandied about so much. Let the writers say what they want but there's no need for the club to comment about specific players.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Skowron View Post
    It must give Gardy a warm feeling to see his name bandied about so much. Let the writers say what they want but there's no need for the club to comment about specific players.
    We don't know how they communicate internally. It may piss player off even more if everyone knows that he's in the trade talk and the GM is the only one who said no comment. Some players want honestly from the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    We don't know how they communicate internally. It may piss player off even more if everyone knows that he's in the trade talk and the GM is the only one who said no comment. Some players want honestly from the clubhouse.
    It's one thing if Cashman has had a discussion with him and lets him know the situation. It's another thing if Gardner hears about it when he searches for hashtags of his name.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Everyone is making fun of Cashman.

When I see him all I can think about is Katie Holmes.

katie13.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Saw a story that Yankees have reached out to Nathan Eovaldi's agent about a possible deal.
    I'd be ok with a mL deal. I think he's a failed experiment as a starter unfortunately, but perhaps as a long reliever/spot starter he'd fare better?

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    When was the last time a professional athlete left $40M on the table to re-sign with his former team?
    And as I mentioned above, one thing that doesn't get mentioned is that Cano pays no state income tax in Washington, which puts an additional $10MM or so in his pocket. So it's more like leaving $50MM or so on the table.

NYYF Legend

It's one thing if Cashman has had a discussion with him and lets him know the situation. It's another thing if Gardner hears about it when he searches for hashtags of his name.
    I don't think it's a big deal as long as they have fully discuss and communicate about the situation.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    This is exactly why it's important to give our young pitchers a lot of starts this season to see who is ready to step into the rotation in '17. If a young starter is struggling with a 3rd pitch or if his head is not straight, give him some time at AAA and give another #4-#5 guy his chance.

I don't think we can afford to let next season pass by without getting some answers on as many of young pitchers as possible.
    Yep, I agree..

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Obviously the money is absurd, but 7 years for Ellsbury is patently rediculous. Getting what he hoped was going to be a table-setter for a team struggling to hit .250 with the likelihood they weren't going improve the lineup in the near future was a typical Cashman move.
    To be fair to Cashman, Hal and the FO were not likely on board at that time with the idea of rebuilding the way they are now. If they were, they'd have traded Cano at the deadline and they probably would not have thrown that kind of money at a player like Ellsbury.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Clint Frazier pushing his off-season training hard.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/11/inside-...uper-prospect/

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    To be fair to Cashman, Hal and the FO were not likely on board at that time with the idea of rebuilding the way they are now. If they were, they'd have traded Cano at the deadline and they probably would not have thrown that kind of money at a player like Ellsbury.
    But that's precisely where the whole plan broke down. If they weren't going to re-sign Cano, the only thing that made sense was to begin the rebuilding process. Trading him could have produced the prospects needed to jump start the rebuild.

Instead they went out and foolishly spent a boat load of money as though they were still in "win now" mode. The centerpiece of that offseason spending spree was Ellsbury whose skill set duplicated what they already had in Gardner. What they needed if they wanted to "win now" was a middle of the order bat to replace Cano - or Cano himself.

The plan was a dismal failure as evidenced by their inability to win even a single playoff game in the last 3 years. The fact that they have cut ties with McCann and Beltran is their admission that the plan failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post

don't see the point of hitting before two lcd screens. probably worse than having just natural background.

anyway does it seem like his pre-swing noise is a bit toned down in this vid?

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    But that's precisely where the whole plan broke down. If they weren't going to re-sign Cano, the only thing that made sense was to begin the rebuilding process. Trading him could have produced the prospects needed to jump start the rebuild.

Instead they went out and foolishly spent a boat load of money as though they were still in "win now" mode. The centerpiece of that offseason spending spree was Ellsbury whose skill set duplicated what they already had in Gardner. What they needed if they wanted to "win now" was a middle of the order bat to replace Cano - or Cano himself.

The plan was a dismal failure as evidenced by their inability to win even a single playoff game in the last 3 years. The fact that they have cut ties with McCann and Beltran is their admission that the plan failed.
    I agree that it was a failed plan. My point was more about the idea that it was a "typical Cashman move". As recently as last summer, we still weren't sure whether Cashman would convince Hal to deal away Miller and Chapman until it came to the 11th hour. Back in 2013, Hal apparently did not have the appetite to trade Cano so no deal was made, he finished out the season, and then the team failed to bring him back. You're right that they should have started the rebuilding process then, but the whole mindset of the organization did not accept a rebuild and instead kept retooling with guys like Ellsbury and McCann. If Ellsbury was a specific Cashman target, sure, that's on him. But it's also possible that he advocated for a rebuild even back then only to be rebuffed by Hal and others and directed to go find players that will help them win now.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Dustin Pedroia. 8 years for $110mil. League MVP, 201 hits in 2016. Same age as Ellsbury.

He easily left $40mil on the table.
    There's a long list of players that have left money on the table. The point is we will never know if Cano would have accepted 7/200 or something in that range because it was never offered. Cashman was too busy throwing 155 million to an inferior player.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post

Agree 100%

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post

anyway does it seem like his pre-swing noise is a bit toned down in this vid?
    I was wondering the same thing, but it's tough to tell in that video. It would be easier to see when he's in full uniform.

There's a long list of players that have left money on the table. The point is we will never know if Cano would have accepted 7/200 or something in that range because it was never offered. Cashman was too busy throwing 155 million to an inferior player.
    There's plenty of things to rail on Cashman for, like "throwing 155 million" at Ellsbury. No need to make up scenarios like the pipe dream where Cashman offers net value $50MM less guaranteed money plus some Ginsu knives and Cano skips back to the Bronx.

NYYF Legend

If he succeeds, he'll be the type of player most Yankees fans love and every opposing team's fans hates with a passion.

There's a long list of players that have left money on the table.
    Andrew Miller left money on the table to join the Yanks via FA (Houston made a higher offer). I don't think it was $40M+, though. Still waiting for that list.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    If he succeeds, he'll be the type of player most Yankees fans love and every opposing team's fans hates with a passion.
    Agreed. Seems like the drive is there, and he really wants the world to know how hard he works.

NYYF Legend

God damn, that has me ready for the season. I just got a glimpse of a 2017 season where he tears up SWB in a brief moment of optimism about his prospects and it was glorious. I'm trying so hard not to let my heart exceed what my brain tells me about him, but he's a tough guy to manage in that regard.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

His swing in those videos is epic.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Thread Information