+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 211 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

With the season over, fair to start thinking about possible moves this offseason. Personally, I'd love to see a #2 type starter, and maybe one offensive upgrade. The two opportunities I might pursue on offense would be at 3B, where perhaps a deal can be found somewhere for Headley. Or OF, which would require finding a landing spot for Gardner (or Ellsbury if at all possible). Both are positions that have been sorely lacking in power production.

As for pitching, perhaps a buy low opportunity on Sonny Gray?

Too much to reach for? Too little? Welcome other thoughts...
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    With the season over, fair to start thinking about possible moves this offseason. Personally, I'd love to see a #2 type starter, and maybe one offensive upgrade. The two opportunities I might pursue on offense would be at 3B, where perhaps a deal can be found somewhere for Headley. Or OF, which would require finding a landing spot for Gardner (or Ellsbury if at all possible). Both are positions that have been sorely lacking in power production.

TBH, moving one of Ellsbury/Gardner and McCann should be first on the agenda with Chapman being the second or third.

Id prefer to go with internal options for all other upgrades.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post

With regards to pitching, I would like to see what the Yankees can get for Pineda, as I just feel he won't ever be successful in NY.

Going into next year, the staff will be anchored by Tanaka, with Sabathia providing depth in the back end. In between is currently Question Mark & the Mysterians.

I feel that we need to give our prospects a try - we have a plethora of potential arms that, while there may not be a true number two there right now, could develop,

So, while I am not adverse to trying to secure someone to slot behind Tanaka, I don't want to spend the farm to acquire such an arm. I would rather the 2017 Yankees see what Cessa, Green, Severino (although I am leaning towards pulling a Betances on him and sending him permanently to the bullpen), Montgomery, Kaprielian, Enns and even Bleier can give them in the rotation.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    TBH, moving one of Ellsbury/Gardner and McCann should be first on the agenda with Chapman being the second or third.

Id prefer to go with internal options for all other upgrades.
    I love Chapman, but spending $17-$18 million/per year on a closer is a ridiculous waste of resources for a team in a state of transition and trying to get under the luxury tax threshold.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I love Chapman, but spending $17-$18 million/per year on a closer is a ridiculous waste of resources for a team in a state of transition and trying to get under the luxury tax threshold.
    Not if they trade McCann and one of Gardner/Ellsbury.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    With regards to pitching, I would like to see what the Yankees can get for Pineda, as I just feel he won't ever be successful in NY.

Going into next year, the staff will be anchored by Tanaka, with Sabathia providing depth in the back end. In between is currently Question Mark & the Mysterians.

I feel that we need to give our prospects a try - we have a plethora of potential arms that, while there may not be a true number two there right now, could develop,

So, while I am not adverse to trying to secure someone to slot behind Tanaka, I don't want to spend the farm to acquire such an arm. I would rather the 2017 Yankees see what Cessa, Green, Severino (although I am leaning towards pulling a Betances on him and sending him permanently to the bullpen), Montgomery, Kaprielian, Enns and even Bleier can give them in the rotation.
    Id like to see a change of scenery thing for Pineda. Maybe Robbie Ray?

NYYF MVP

I'm okay with moving McCann, and I'm also okay with having him around to be a backup catcher, backup 1st baseman, and occasional DH. We could also carry Austin to backup Bird on occasion and play corner OF; that way we don't need to waste a roster spot on someone who can only play 1st. I like the idea of having a roster where most backups can play multiple positions. I don't look at Romine as having any value as a backup since he's basically been replacement level his entire career. Higashioka is fine as a third option, but I have a feeling that Sanchez/Higashioka has a lot of volatility and could go sour fast if Sanchez has some sophomore slump periods. So if we move McCann, I would prepare to bring in a decent backup...and that makes me begin to question if that makes it worth moving McCann, unless we get a decent asset back.

If you can move Ellsbury, you should, but I can't see much a scenario where we end up getting a return that's attractive. I would expect to keep him.

Gardner can definitely receive something of quality in return, but that probably means beginning the season with Hicks as starter and then relying on Frazier to take over and play well. That kind of scares me, since I think we should make a run at the playoffs without sacrificing any prospects (unless we got a young superstar in return). I think it would be a safer move to keep him and consider moving him next trade deadline if we're out of it, or if Frazier is killing AAA (or the MLB, should he force a move).

The one area I would look to improve is 2B. Someone mentioned grabbing Joe Panik, and I think he would be a great player to acquire to go along with Didi and Castro (where Castro becomes a backup that can play two positions and start when he's on one of his hot streaks).

I support signing Chapman. He was great here and he won't cost a pick. Clippard-> Betances -> Chapman is lock down quality and we have a ton of young guys that can round out the rest of the bullpen.

I also support grabbing a starter. I like the idea of Gio Gonzalez personally, since he wouldn't require major assets and isn't a long-term commitment.

tl;dr: if you're expecting something major, prepare to be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Not if they trade McCann and one of Gardner/Ellsbury.
    Plenty of ifs and really has no bearing on the foolishness of paying a closer $17-$18 million per year.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

More than anything we need a new manager.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Rothchild doesn't have a contract for next year. Wonder if they will bring him back or go with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    More than anything we need a new manager.
    I hope this materializes but fear this has little to no chance of happening.

NYYF Legend

Girardi has almost as small a chance of being fired as I do of being his eventual replacement.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Girardi has almost as small a chance of being fired as I do of being his eventual replacement.

My number #1 priority is to get a new manager to rebuild but I agree with this post. Joe took a beating this year (meltdown in that post game with BoSox) and may choice to leave because his last year on his contract is next year. Or a reorganization and move Joe into the FO because they need help there that knows baseball. (I always questioned how Brian works with Joe).

Rotation is #2 but I don't want long term, expensive FA or trading our top prospects so I can handle no having #2. I have no faith in Pineda after this year.

My Number 3 is moving McCann. I have no problem with Sanchez and Romine and probably be after McCann.

My #4 is a closer. Betances is our set up. White Sox may want to move David Robertson and I think Chapman is staying in Cleveland. I don't want another long term expensive contract like the post above.

C - Sanchez
    1B - Bird
    2B - Castro
    3B - Headley
    SS - Didi
    LF - Austin
    CF - Ellsbury
    RF - Judge
    DH - McCann

SP - Tanaka
    SP - CC
    SP - Mitchell
    SP - Cessa
    SP - Montgomery
    SP - Enns

RP - Pineda
    RP - Warren
    RP - Betances

NYYF Legend

Fix the outfield. Fix the rotation.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

We'll probably make some signings here and there. Nothing huge. But I highly doubt they go another offseason with no signings. Definitely trades as well.

NYYF Legend

The only big outside signing I see as possible is Chapman and I see that as a long shot.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Legend

I would like to see the Yanks follow through on rebuilding. The sell off at the deadline was really great, the hauls were excellent, and the fact that they competed (and of course the progress of Sanchez) made things exciting and fun for the second half.

Make any deals that get the Yankees younger and stronger. NO eye towards competing in 2017, if it happens, that is fantastic. Work on building a juggernaut team that can compete year in and year out. I am fine if they want to play a couple of kids, and those kids go through growing pains. No deals with next year specifically in mind. Example, I want to see Pineda go....BUT, if it means weakening the farm for some 34 year old with two years left on his contract? Happy to see Pineda every fifth day.....eye on the prize...
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Make the Yankees Great Again!

Suspended

You need to improve the offense by getting rid of Headley and Castro. Two of the worst offensive players at their respective positions (Castro also one of the worst defensive players as well).

Trade McCann. Trade CC. Trade Ellsbury (yes, include LOTs of money saved from CC & McCann).

I'd sign Brad Ziegler to neutralize righties (think Boston lineup).

This doesn't even include the rotation. God. The team is going to be pretty horrible next season. I hope we act accordingly and don't do anything stupid.

NYYF Legend

Chapman probably will be too expensive but there could be other closers out there who could be signed for a reasonable amount. Or maybe acquired in a trade

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Chapman probably will be too expensive but there could be other closers out there who could be signed for a reasonable amount. Or maybe acquired in a trade
    True but the rest would be more mid leven signings

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    You need to improve the offense by getting rid of Headley and Castro. Two of the worst offensive players at their respective positions (Castro also one of the worst defensive players as well).

Trade McCann. Trade CC. Trade Ellsbury (yes, include LOTs of money saved from CC & McCann).

This doesn't even include the rotation. God. The team is going to be pretty horrible next season. I hope we act accordingly and don't do anything stupid.
    McCann's no trade clause is a problem. No one will take CC unless the Yankees pay most of his contract so trading him really makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post

CC probably won't accept a trade regardless, but he definitely wouldn't accept one in the off-season where it still makes him eligible for a QO. He probably wants a 2 year deal and there's nobody who's giving up a draft pick for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post

The one area I would look to improve is 2B. Someone mentioned grabbing Joe Panik, and I think he would be a great player to acquire to go along with Didi and Castro (where Castro becomes a backup that can play two positions and start when he's on one of his hot streaks).

I support signing Chapman. He was great here and he won't cost a pick.
    It was mentioned on RAB that Cashman and the Giants had discussions about Pineda for Panik. I'd revist the trade because I believe Pineda is what he has shown to be- and he's entering his walk year.

Castro's end of the season push would make him more attractive to another team. And trading for Panik will allow us to trade Castro's salary.

Losing Castro, combined with parting ways with both Eovaldi and Pineda, will save around $20 million. That could allow us to sign Chapman, keep the draft pick, and drop under the new luxury tax threshold.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Thread Information