+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 211 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

This will be an interesting offseason.

Among active posters, we've had requests to focus on upgrading Castro, Headley, Didi, McCann (as DH), Hicks, Gardy, and Ellsbury. That's literally every position player that doesn't have a baby bomber taking over.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Registered

Yankees shouldn’t hide behind stat that ignores lineup holes

http://nypost.com/2016/10/03/yankees...-lineup-holes/

NYYF MVP

Is Didi great? No, but I'd say he's a slightly above average starting short stop who's lead the yankees position players with 5.8 WAR over the last two years. Plus he's only 26 and has shown signs of improvement each year, particularly with his power.

If we get a great offer for him, then sure go ahead and trade him. Everyone should be on the table for the right price. But I'm not rushing to trade him this offseason to make room for a couple kids who haven't even had a taste of AA yet. If Torres/Mateo continue to develop and are knocking at the door, there will certainly be oppurtunities to trade him (or one of them) over the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    Is Didi great? No, but I'd say he's a slightly above average starting short stop who's lead the yankees position players with 5.8 WAR over the last two years. Plus he's only 26 and has shown signs of improvement each year, particularly with his power.

If we get a great offer for him, then sure go ahead and trade him. Everyone should be on the table for the right price. But I'm not rushing to trade him this offseason to make room for a couple kids who haven't even had a taste of AA yet. If Torres/Mateo continue to develop and are knocking at the door, there will certainly be oppurtunities to trade him (or one of them) over the next 3 years.
    This.

In addition, this isn't George's team and that makes a difference.

Hal has a cost controlled SS, who made $2.4 million, and is arbitration eligible until '20. He isn't going to trade him and replace him with our second baseman with similar offensive numbers, and making ~$32 million over the next 3 seasons.

And even if Hal wanted to do that, I believe Cashman would talk him out of it. Especially when shedding Castro's salary could very well make the difference on resetting the luxury tax.

PS: I know this is a nitpick, but via bWAR, Gardy leads position players the last two seasons with 6.7 WAR. As mentioned, Didi has a higher fWAR. Either way, they are the top 2.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

jesus judging by some of these posts if our players aren't hitting 300 with 30 home runs they need to be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBERG18 View Post

Sobering article. Ouch!

In an atmosphere of escalating run-scoring, the Yankees amazingly had just four players with an OPS-plus of better than league average: Chris Parmelee, who had eight plate appearances; Billy Butler, who joined them in mid-September; Carlos Beltran, who was traded on Aug. 1; and Sanchez, who was promoted after the Beltran trade.
    The Yankees were the only team that did not have a player qualify for the batting title with an OPS-plus even 1 percent better than the league average — by comparison, the AL East champ Red Sox had six at 9 percent or better.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Going into next year, the staff will be anchored by Tanaka, with Sabathia providing depth in the back end. In between is currently Question Mark & the Mysterians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I loved the music of Question Mark and the Mysterians.
    Well, once they've cried all 96 of the tears they're going to cry cry cry, they're going to realize they need somebody.

Need to target left handed power bat

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ICEBERG18 View Post

He nailed it -- especially his assessment of Didi and Castro. We've got a lineup full of "not our biggest problem" hitters. You can't stack the lineup with league average (or worse) hitters and expect above average offensive production.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Below average bat? This year he finished as follows in some key offensive stats among the 15 AL shortstops:

6th - Runs Created
    7th - OPS
    8th - wOBA
    9th - wRC+
    The two stats you mentioned that mean the most there are wOBA and wRC+, and he's below average in the AL in both those stats. He's not the profile of player the Yankees need to build around. They need high on base players, not these players who make outs in 70% of their at bats. That's how you end up fielding a horrible offense. The Joel Sherman article posted above talks about this. There will be a decent market for Didi if/when they make him available.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    He nailed it -- especially his assessment of Didi and Castro. We've got a lineup full of "not our biggest problem" hitters. You can't stack the lineup with league average (or worse) hitters and expect above average offensive production.
    Precisely.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post

I think you think you're disagreeing with me, but we're actually on the same page. I'm not giving Didi away. Also, I didn't say to trade Didi so we can plug in Torres/Mateo. I said to put Castro back at SS in 2017, since it will probably be another bridge year anyway.

I don't disagree, but, as I stated before, if they were the Yankees 8/9 hitters (which they should have been), would anyone be complaining? I think not. Until Awesome Gary got called up, the 1-6 hitters (excepting Beltran) sucked furry balls.

NYYF Legend

I'm surprise that people group Didi and Castro together. Didi is ranked at 12 in fWAR and 14 in wRC+ among all qualified SS in the major.

He's the definition of slightly above average SS. He is still young and cost controlled. Untouchable he is not but I would not trade him unless some teams want to vastly overpay, or until Torres and Mateo show that they could hit at AAA.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    jesus judging by some of these posts if our players aren't hitting 300 with 30 home runs they need to be upgraded.
    Welcome to the NYYFANS forum.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    The two stats you mentioned that mean the most there are wOBA and wRC+, and he's below average in the AL in both those stats. He's not the profile of player the Yankees need to build around. They need high on base players, not these players who make outs in 70% of their at bats. That's how you end up fielding a horrible offense. The Joel Sherman article posted above talks about this. There will be a decent market for Didi if/when they make him available.
    How do you figure? If his offense is not good enough for the Yankees, why should it be good enough to get a decent offer back?

I am sorry, but I don't get this thinking - I realize that Didi is not the greatest offensive SS, but he is, in my opinion, the least of our worries this off-season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

How do you figure? If his offense is not good enough for the Yankees, why should it be good enough to get a decent offer back?

I am sorry, but I don't get this thinking - I realize that Didi is not the greatest offensive SS, but he is, in my opinion, the least of our worries this off-season.
    He's better than some seem to give him credit for, and is actually the best offensive SS we've had in the last four years. Agreed that he's the least of our worries.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Below average among all hitters is irrelevant. He'average among AL shortstops in both, which is what matters. You're free to ignore the other two if you want, but I won't.

They need high on base players, not these players who make outs in 70% of their at bats. That's how you end up fielding a horrible offense.
    We've got a lineup full of "not our biggest problem" hitters. You can't stack the lineup with league average (or worse) hitters and expect above average offensive production.
    You two guys summarized our bats perfectly, imo. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Our standards have really dropped- many of us used to be spoiled Yankees fans. I remember when we practically had an All Star at each position.

Now, there are fans content keeping everyone because they're all equally average, they're a stop gap, or another guy is worse.

On the bright side... outside of our SP, bullpen, and hitting- we have a pretty good team!

NYYF Legend

Below average among all hitters is irrelevant. He'average among AL shortstops in both, which is what matters. You're free to ignore the other two if you want, but I won't.
    Not below average among all hitters - below average among AL SS. That's what being ranked 8th and 9th out of 15 would be.

I never said Didi is the problem, like another poster took my post as. I'm saying we can take this player and flip him to fill other problems we have, IF the offers are good, because we have Castro who can replicate his offense next season at SS.

As melon mentioned above, our standards have really dropped. Guys are fawning over a hitter who has a wRC+ of 98 this year.

NYYF Legend

How about a team that has a good offense already? Wouldn't Didi be a good fit? He's not a good fit for this current team. He's more of the same on offense.

Didi can actually play shortstop, Castro can't. That is a big difference. It's why their overall values are different. It's dangerous to plug Castro into shortstop just for the sake of doing it. I don't want him trying to fake a crucial defensive position when attempting to build a young pitching staff.

Second basemen like Castro are stopgaps. A player like Didi is harder to find. Yanks have a good batch of SS prospects, but they're still in A/A+ ball. It's too premature to talk about flipping players right now.

I understand how trading Didi and moving Castro to SS would hurt the defense, possibly significantly. But how exactly does trading Didi get you more offense? Where are they going to get a second baseman who will out hit the still developing Didi without giving up young players who could help build a dominant team? Hopefully, Yankee management will stay focused on the long term and not mortgage the future in some desperate attempt to add a little offense in 2017.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

How about a team that has a good offense already? Wouldn't Didi be a good fit? He's not a good fit for this current team. He's more of the same on offense.
    But I don't think he's the offensive player that needs to be changed. 3B and OF are where I'd rather see them make some changes if they can move Headley and one of Gardner/Ellsbury.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...e-im-back.html Does he stay? I wouldn't think so?

Thread Information