+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 211 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Going into next year, the staff will be anchored by Tanaka, with Sabathia providing depth in the back end. In between is currently Question Mark & the Mysterians.

I'm guessing that right now, CC is our #2. #3 at the lowest if Pineda is still around.

I'd be happy if CC was pushed to the back end, because that would indicate a successful offseason.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    McCann's no trade clause is a problem. No one will take CC unless the Yankees pay most of his contract so trading him really makes no sense.
    I imagine he would waive it considering his ties to Atlanta and his desire to play C. It's kind of a waste of time to discuss NTCs. At the end of the day, we all have no ideas whether a player will accept or not.

I think a team would bite on a portion of CCs contract considering how bad the FA market is.

In addition to his salary, another reason why it's important to trade McCann is for T. Austin's development next season.

If McCann is primarily the 1b/DH, then that might push Austin off the 25 man. Assuming Hicks is the 4th OF, Torreyes the utility IF, and Romine/Higgy the backup catcher- then that leaves one more spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I imagine he would waive it considering his ties to Atlanta and his desire to play C. It's kind of a waste of time to discuss NTCs. At the end of the day, we all have no ideas whether a player will accept or not.

I think a team would bite on a portion of CCs contract considering how bad the FA market is.
    McCann is in a different situation and I wouldn't worry about his NTC. Behind the scenes, his agent is probably asking for trades to be explored. Otherwise, McCann will soon become the most expensive BUC in baseball.

Besides, McCann will be 34 when his contract is over with the Yankees. He would probably want to continue playing somewhere. His negotiating power as a FA would take a serious hit if he was riding the pine in the Bronx for 2 seasons.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    In addition to his salary, another reason why it's important to trade McCann is for T. Austin's development next season.

If McCann is primarily the 1b/DH, then that might push Austin off the 25 man. Assuming Hicks is the 4th OF, Torreyes the utility IF, and Romine/Higgy the backup catcher- then that leaves one more spot.
    DFA Hicks, IMO - if someone picks him up, so be it.

With the plethora of outfield prospects we have, we don't need him as a 4th or even 5th OFer.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

DFA Hicks, IMO - if someone picks him up, so be it.

With the plethora of outfield prospects we have, we don't need him as a 4th or even 5th OFer.
    Yeah right. No chance Cashman DFA's Jackie Bradley Jr Jr.

FWIW I agree with you though.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    More than anything we need a new manager.
    This x10000000000
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I love Chapman, but spending $17-$18 million/per year on a closer is a ridiculous waste of resources for a team in a state of transition and trying to get under the luxury tax threshold.
    We wouldn't have had to spend anything extra if we held on to Miller, in fact we'd be in the playoffs most likely. But it doesn't matter what the price is - this team needs a top-shelf closer. Betances is not it.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post

My feeling is that Aaron Hicks may well be on the outside looking in come Rule 5 decision time.

Given that the Yankees acquired so many prospects during this past season's sell off AND the commitment by Hal to looking at the younger players, I can see a situation where Hicks is given his walking papers.

Cashman could easily say "I know what I have seen from Hicks and it is not what I acquired him for (hitting LHP). I have (fill in the name or names) that I want to protect in the Rule 5 draft. Better to give up Hicks than give up (fill in the name)."
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

I would be shocked if they released Hicks at this point, including because of a commitment to youth. He is only going to be 27 next year.

Devoted Member

My feeling is that Aaron Hicks may well be on the outside looking in come Rule 5 decision time.

Given that the Yankees acquired so many prospects during this past season's sell off AND the commitment by Hal to looking at the younger players, I can see a situation where Hicks is given his walking papers.

Cashman could easily say "I know what I have seen from Hicks and it is not what I acquired him for (hitting LHP). I have (fill in the name or names) that I want to protect in the Rule 5 draft. Better to give up Hicks than give up (fill in the name)."

I hope you are right. Hicks was one of the worst OF'ers in the league this year (91 of 93 in WRC+, min 350 PAs). He looked like a good pickup at the time, but he's regressed rather than taking that next step forward. He's going into his arbitration years, so he'll no longer be league minimum and has only 3 years left of team control.

I'd much rather keep a guy like Puello or Cave around and see what they have to offer. There's at least some upside there.

I am looking forward to having two of the young pitchers currently in the organization in the starting rotation (from Cessa, Severino, Mitchell, and perhaps Green), just as I am looking forward to having several near rookies in the starting lineup. (Sanchez, Bird, and Judge at least.) I want the Yankees to view next year as a transition year with as many young parts under several years control as possible.

The two young pitchers could go with Tanaka, Pineda, and the refurbished C.C. That is good enough for a transition year. But I think Cashman will try hard to make a trade for another young starter under team control for several years. Maybe Pineda will go; maybe not. C.C. isn't going anywhere.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Not sure why almost everyone is ready to just hand Judge the RF job. At a minimum Austin should be given a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Not sure why almost everyone is ready to just hand Judge the RF job. At a minimum Austin should be given a shot.
    Replace the name, "Austin", with "Hicksie", and you will have taken the words out of Joe's mouth!

Regarding your post, I'd be ok with that. In fact, a 3 man rotation between Judge, Austin, and Bird for 1b and RF would suit me just fine. But first, we'd have to trade McCann, or Austin might be squeezed out..

Judge is a much better athlete and has more potential as an OFer than does Austin, who will never be a particularly good OFer. So I hope Judge wins the job. He should not be handed the job of course.

Hicks, though hated here, also is a top young athlete. I would love to see him blossom as well, and take an OF position, however unlikely it is at this point.

I would love Austin to be a right-handed backup to Bird, and a part time DH and backup OFer.

I am rooting for contributions from everyone on the right side of 30 and under control in 2018.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Because that is how youth movements work. When you call up a top prospect, you commit to giving him every chance to succeed or fail at the MLB level. Nothing against Austin (and I do think he will play a role on the team next year), but he should not be taking at bats away from Judge.

NYYF Legend

I would love to sell high on Didi. He's a good player, but he's not a player I want to build around, due to his low obp skills and overall below average bat. Shop him for pitching and put Castro back at SS until Torres/Mateo are ready. I don't expect the Yanks to be great next year anyway, so putting Castro back at SS isn't going to hurt them much.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Because that is how youth movements work. When you call up a top prospect, you commit to giving him every chance to succeed or fail at the MLB level. Nothing against Austin (and I do think he will play a role on the team next year), but he should not be taking at bats away from Judge.
    I could care less about a youth movement i want a win movement. Not saying Judge shouldn't get the job, but he shouldn't be handed it because of his age.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I would love to sell high on Didi. He's a good player, but he's not a player I want to build around, due to his low obp skills and overall below average bat. Shop him for pitching and put Castro back at SS until Torres/Mateo are ready. I don't expect the Yanks to be great next year anyway, so putting Castro back at SS isn't going to hurt them much.
    Interesting Boss. What are you looking for in return?

I don't see much happening over the winter, and I do see the FO trying to manage the luxury tax issue as a top priority. There isn't anyone I'm hoping they unload, but if they could get out from under Ellsbury's contract that would be a big plus. 2017 will be a fun year, but it's beyond 2017 when they can get really good.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Agree 100%. Didi is a nice stop gap right now because he is cheap, but ultimately he is below average offensively and we have multiple SS prospects with higher upside. Castro at his current offensive production level has more value at SS. Trade Didi now. Move Castro to SS next year and try to trade him when either Mateo or Torres are ready to be called up. Profit.

With regards to pitching, I would like to see what the Yankees can get for Pineda, as I just feel he won't ever be successful in NY.

Going into next year, the staff will be anchored by Tanaka, with Sabathia providing depth in the back end. In between is currently Question Mark & the Mysterians.
    I loved the music of Question Mark and the Mysterians.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Agree 100%. Didi is a nice stop gap right now because he is cheap, but ultimately he is below average offensively and we have multiple SS prospects with higher upside. Castro at his current offensive production level has more value at SS. Trade Didi now. Move Castro to SS next year and try to trade him when either Mateo or Torres are ready to be called up. Profit.
    Not sure I agree with Didi being below average offensively. He's ranked 11th among MLB shortstops in OPS, hit 20 HR, drove in 70 runs, and was the least of this team's offensive problems. I'd rather concentrate on finding a replacement for Headley.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

I would love to sell high on Didi. He's a good player, but he's not a player I want to build around, due to his low obp skills and overall below average bat. .
    Below average bat? This year he finished as follows in some key offensive stats among the 15 AL shortstops:

6th - Runs Created
    7th - OPS
    8th - wOBA
    9th - wRC+

NYYF Legend

Girardi said on WFAN today that Hicks definitely is in their plans for next season

Thread Information