+ Reply to Thread
Page 168 of 211 FirstFirst ... 68 118 158 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 178 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 5261

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Would you have done 8/235 for Cano?
    That would still be 39... you think hes going to hit like this from 37 to 39 years old??... Arod all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    That would still be 39... you think hes going to hit like this from 37 to 39 years old??... Arod all over again.
    No, it would be 38.

BTW, ARod hit really well at 39/40. He hit the wall at 40/41

NYYF Legend

Would you have done 8/235 for Cano?
    If I wouldn't do 10/235 why would I do 8/235? And why would I bargain higher than what Cano asked for? (8/200)? 8/200 is more annually than 10/235 but I would prefer to go higher in AAV than length.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Here's the caveat to that, did he know at that point he'd be getting that extra $40mm?
    He knew, or at least his agent did, t he would be in that neighborhood. He had already come off that 10 year - $300 million goal, but I do believe he had parameters of what Seattle's offer would be.

And if he did, one can express doubt that Cano would leave $40 million on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    If I wouldn't do 10/235 why would I do 8/235? And why would I bargain higher than what Cano asked for? (8/200)? 8/200 is more annually than 10/235 but I would prefer to go higher in AAV than length.
    Cano is on the record saying he would have taken 8 years, and in a separate statement he said he would have signed for 235. The 8/200 was either speculation or an inside source. There was no evidence that the Yankees seriously negotiated to see if he would come down in his total dollars.

Everyone was shocked by the AAV, but as the contract plays out and new contracts are even higher, it's not likely to look so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    You're right. But IIRC, as silly as this is, this is what Cano's agent offered the Yankees. If the Yankees didn't like the number of years of their contract demands, then they can have fewer years- as long as the total dollars are the same.

It was crazy back then and crazy now.

Edit: What B. Marsh said above.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

Having a middle of the order consisting of Cano and Sanchez would be pretty damn awesome.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Cano is on the record saying he would have taken 8 years, and in a separate statement he said he would have signed for 235. The 8/200 was either speculation or an inside source. There was no evidence that the Yankees seriously negotiated to see if he would come down in his total dollars.

Everyone was shocked by the AAV, but as the contract plays out and new contracts are even higher, it's not likely to look so bad.
    I've said this before, there is no way to defend giving Ellsbury 7/155 and drawing the line with Cano at 7/175. I said it three years ago, I'll say it again now, and I will continue to say it. Cano was under appreciated by many Yankee fans and Yankee management. Heck I would have given Cano 7/200 before I gave Ellsbury 7/155. Just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I've said this before, there is no way to defend giving Ellsbury 7/155 and drawing the line with Cano at 7/175. I said it three years ago, I'll say it again now, and I will continue to say it. Cano was under appreciated by many Yankee fans and Yankee management. Heck I would have given Cano 7/200 before I gave Ellsbury 7/155. Just plain stupid.
    Yes, yes and yes

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Having a middle of the order consisting of Cano and Sanchez would be pretty damn awesome.
    I blame Cashman and the brass eight days a week for letting Cano leave, but if we're being honest, I kinda doubt they're in a position to sell at last year's deadline with him on the team.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I blame Cashman and the brass eight days a week for letting Cano leave, but if we're being honest, I kinda doubt they're in a position to sell at last year's deadline with him on the team.
    True, we have no idea what kind of ripple effects signing Cano would have caused (maybe no Gleyber?)

NYYF Legend

i believe Cano was going to FA no matter what. Not signing Cano was a great move and signing Ell's was not.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    i believe Cano was going to FA no matter what. Not signing Cano was a great move and signing Ell's was not.
    If the cost of Cano was truly 8/200, then not signing Cano was a horrendous move.

NYYF Legend

If the cost of Cano was truly 8/200, then not signing Cano was a horrendous move.
    I disagree.

Suspended

True, we have no idea what kind of ripple effects signing Cano would have caused (maybe no Gleyber?)
    No Castro, Stephen Drew, Brian Robets, and Ellsbury would have been a few of them.

Put me in the camp calling BS on this one.

He hired a new agent who was going to make a name on his first contract.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

NYYF Legend

I understand debate/discussion, but attempting to assign adjectives like "horrendous" or "terrible" on the decision to pass on an 8 or 10 year commitment when we are three years in, is so...messageboard-y.

Reminds me of the I TOLD YOU SO groundwork that was being laid for a couple of weeks after the organization chose one prospect over another at the deadline.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/01/sco...derson-148659/

"Given the decided lack of interest and his ugly medical history, itís difficult to see Anderson getting anything more than one year and $5M or so. Maybe a desperate team stretches their budget and gives him $7M, but I donít see it. A low base salary short-term deal with incentives based on innings and/or starts seems most likely, does it not?"

Big Risk, small investment and doesn't really block anyone's future. Maybe the guy has a season like he did in 2015. If he's terrible after 10 starts, oh well - it's only money, and he's banished. I'd go for it.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I understand debate/discussion, but attempting to assign adjectives like "horrendous" or "terrible" on the decision to pass on an 8 or 10 year commitment when we are three years in, is so...messageboard-y.

Reminds me of the I TOLD YOU SO groundwork that was being laid for a couple of weeks after the organization chose one prospect over another at the deadline.
    I agree but It's my belief that when it's said and done passing on Cano will be proven the right call.

Letting Cano sign a ridiculous deal elsewhere was fine, but not having a replacement for Prado is what really hurt in the long-term.

NYYF Legend

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/d...e-twins-011017

No mention of Castro or the Yankees.

The Dodgers are back to square one in their search for a second baseman. But square one is not necessarily a bad place to be.
    So, with Dozier out of reach ó at least for the moment ó the Dodgers are expected to circle back to earlier trade pursuits of the Raysí Logan Forsythe and Tigersí Ian Kinsler, both of whom, like Dozier, bat right-handed.

NYYF Legend

Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 6m6 minutes ago
    Brian Cashman said that everything he has heard about Masahiro Tanaka's health has been positive. "No news is good news, right?"

Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 4m4 minutes ago
    Cashman said he wouldn't expect a trade involving Brett Gardner before Opening Day. Everything that has been presented has been rejected.

Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 2m2 minutes ago
    The Yankees told Luis Severino that he may have become too muscular last year. Suggested he work on flexibility this winter.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/d...e-twins-011017

No mention of Castro or the Yankees.
    Damn, this is one of those moves that makes a ton of sense. The dodgers are looking for a righty 2B. We need another lefty in the lineup and someone who can backup 3B. We also need to create some long term freedom up the middle for our SS prospects.

Kick in a few bucks and trade Castro for the best prospect the dodgers will give up.

Sign Valbuena to a 1 or 2 year deal at a lower aav than Castro is making. Fill in with Refs and Torreyes as needed, particularly against lefties.

We get better this year, add a prospect, stay the same or lower payroll, and create long term flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    Damn, this is one of those moves that makes a ton of sense. The dodgers are looking for a righty 2B. We need another lefty in the lineup and someone who can backup 3B. We also need to create some long term freedom up the middle for our SS prospects.

Kick in a few bucks and trade Castro for the best prospect the dodgers will give up.

Sign Valbuena to a 1 or 2 year deal at a lower aav than Castro is making. Fill in with Refs and Torreyes as needed, particularly against lefties.

We get better this year, add a prospect, stay the same or lower payroll, and create long term flexibility.
    I love your optimism, but I can't see any situation where the bolded could happen.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I love your optimism, but I can't see any situation where the bolded could happen.
    Haha then trade Refs for an 18 year old rookie league pitcher who throws 95 mph but can't throw strikes and has never heard of a change up.

And watch Refs hit .330 for the dodgers....

Thread Information