+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 211 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 169 209 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 5261
    Suspended

Re: 2016 Winter Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBomber86 View Post
    Bryan Hoch of MLB.com writes that the Yankees continue to have dialogue with the White Sox about left-hander Jose Quintana.

The Yankees haven't been willing to meet the understandable high asking price for Quintana thus far, but Hoch notes that pitching is the priority as the club prepares for spring training. "I think we'll stay engaged in the marketplace, and over time, if we do match up favorably with anybody where we can get what we want and they get what they want, then yes, we'll try to pull something down," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said on MLB Network. In addition to discussing Quintana, Hoch notes that the Yankees have shown at least some level of interest in free agent right-hander Jason Hammel. As of now, Masahiro Tanaka, Michael Pineda, and CC Sabathia are the only pitchers who will go into spring training assured of rotation spots with New York.
    Do work Cash. Pull it off.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Do work Cash. Pull it off.
    On a one year deal, why not? I'd like to give the kids a chance, but Hammel gives us some more depth with no long term risk.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rob035 View Post
    On a one year deal, why not? I'd like to give the kids a chance, but Hammel gives us some more depth with no long term risk.
    Was referring to Quintana trade. No thanks on Hammel.

NYYF Legend

Was referring to Quintana trade. No thanks on Hammel.
    Agree. Forget Hammel. I was in favor of trying to get him on a 1 year deal, but upon further review, he really had a rough ending to 2016. The Cubbies left him off the playoff roster. That alone tells me something.

Would love to get Quintana, but not anywhere near the price the Nats paid for Eaton. A package centered around Mateo is about what I would offer. I believe others on these boards have expressed a similar opinion.

NYYF Legend

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 44s44 seconds ago
    Sources: #WhiteSox engaged in daily trade discussions on Quintana. #Pirates, #Astros involved, possibly others. #Yankees appear longshot.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 57s57 seconds ago
    Sources add: #WhiteSox firm on Quintana’s value; also could move him at deadline. NYY seem less willing than others to move top prospects.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 44s44 seconds ago
    Sources: #WhiteSox engaged in daily trade discussions on Quintana. #Pirates, #Astros involved, possibly others. #Yankees appear longshot.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 57s57 seconds ago
    Sources add: #WhiteSox firm on Quintana’s value; also could move him at deadline. NYY seem less willing than others to move top prospects.
    I don't think people realize how rare of an opportunity this is. Top of the rotation types under 30 do not come on the trading block with 4 years of team control with an AAV <10M. Sale is one, even though less years and more money but I'm drawing a blank on remembering another.

This is a good article explaining the value of a top rotation type vs what you receive:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/major...DmVEwftJwB2.97

Here's an article on Jose Quintana from 2013 after his 2nd major league season, explaining how the White Sox decided to sign him. Great insights into what it takes to be a successful major league pitcher. Great insights by the scout who targeted him. Makes me wonder why the organization that had him couldn't see what a. Scout from another organization could see from afar.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/678819...jose-quintana/

Here's a description of his stuff that makes one think that the scout nailed it when he said that it's Quintana's makeup that's the difference maker. This description sure doesn't make it sound like it's his stuff.

www.brooksbaseball.net/landing.php?player=500779

NYYF Legend

Quintana's 800+ IP in his age 24-27 seasons, and very good but not dominant results, give me enough pause to not even come close to the White Sox asking price.

I like the player, and if he had been doing this for the Yankees all along it'd be great to have him at the top of the rotation. But paying the prospect cost for both his performance AND his contract, at this point in his career, is not palatable to me.

Bryan Hoch of MLB.com writes that the Yankees continue to have dialogue with the White Sox about left-hander Jose Quintana.

The Yankees haven't been willing to meet the understandable high asking price for Quintana thus far, but Hoch notes that pitching is the priority as the club prepares for spring training. "I think we'll stay engaged in the marketplace, and over time, if we do match up favorably with anybody where we can get what we want and they get what they want, then yes, we'll try to pull something down," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said on MLB Network. In addition to discussing Quintana, Hoch notes that the Yankees have shown at least some level of interest in free agent right-hander Jason Hammel. As of now, Masahiro Tanaka, Michael Pineda, and CC Sabathia are the only pitchers who will go into spring training assured of rotation spots with New York.
    Whats the saying? ................ or get off the pot?.. You're either going to pay a price or you're not, its pointless to keep having dialogue, with the amount of teams interested in pitching the price is not going down.

I don't think people realize how rare of an opportunity this is. Top of the rotation types under 30 do not come on the trading block with 4 years of team control with an AAV <10M. Sale is one, even though less years and more money but I'm drawing a blank on remembering another.

This is a good article explaining the value of a top rotation type vs what you receive:
    This is pretty much spot on, You can't even get a #5 starter today for 4 years and less than 40M, here you have a chance to get a potential top of the rotation guy (at least a 2 here behind Tanaka. Sanchez/Torres should be the only ones "untouchable"

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

It appears that no team wants to meet the CWS high price for Quinatana, so it makes sense for the Yankees to remain in the conversation.

If his price falls far enough, I would easily trade for him, but not at the price of a Sales' type package.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Quintana's 800+ IP in his age 24-27 seasons, and very good but not dominant results, give me enough pause to not even come close to the White Sox asking price.

I like the player, and if he had been doing this for the Yankees all along it'd be great to have him at the top of the rotation. But paying the prospect cost for both his performance AND his contract, at this point in his career, is not palatable to me.
    Bumgarner is 27, has 500 more IP.
    Kershaw is 28 has 800 more IP.
    Both at tremendous salaries.

Quintana at 7mil and substantially fewer IP seems like a huge bargain.

The Yankees appear to be "long shots" to land White Sox lefty Jose Quintana, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

Pittsburgh and Houston continue to be among the teams involved in talks with Chicago, Rosenthal reports.

The White Sox are undergoing a major rebuild, and will not rush moving Quintana and risk underselling their assets, according to an industry source.

As Rosenthal reports, that could mean Chicago waits until the trade deadline to move their now No. 1 starter.

Yankees reportedly interested in White Sox pitcher Jose Quintana
    The White Sox have already traded ace southpaw Chris Sale and 6-WAR outfielder Adam Eaton for a package of high-level prospects, including Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech and Lucas Giolito.

Quintana is attractive because of his age (28) and remaining years of team control (four at around $38 million). He has also thrown at least 200 innings in four straight seasons while pitching to a 3.35 ERA over that span.

The Yankees built their farm system in a similar fashion, moving closers Aroldis Chapman and Andrew Miller for prospects Gleyber Torres, Clint Frazier and Justus Sheffield.

Now GM Brian Cashman wants to develop his young talent so many of them can become impact players for the Yankees for years to come.

Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.
    New York's rotation depth is thin behind Masahiro Tanaka, however. Tanaka, who went 14-4 with a 3.07 ERA in 2016, can opt out of his contract at season's end.

Luis Severino, Luis Cessa, Bryan Mitchell, Chad Green and Adam Warren will compete for the final two spots in the rotation behind Tanaka, Michael Pineda and CC Sabathia.

There's always a possibility Cashman could look to add a veteran starter as well.

NYYF Legend

I realize and that's why I don't think the Yankees should get him. There's no reason for the White Sox not to ask for Torres plus more in return just as a starting point.

i wouldn't trade high tier position talent for non-dominant pitching. pitching is one of these areas of the game where we can make good new pitchers easier than before. at least the inning eating guys

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

The equivalent to the Sales trade for the Yankees to acquire Quintana would be something like Frazier (#1 prospect), Rutherford (#5), Acevedo (#8) & Molina (#28) [note; I used RS prospect rankings from this MEET THE NEW WHITE SOX PROSPECTS article].

While I acknowledge that Quintana would be a GREAT addition to the Yankees, he is not the final piece in the puzzle. He would give us improved starting pitching, but I honestly do not believe that the Yankees would get beyond about 88 wins with him on the staff and they would be giving up three prospects that everyone is drooling over.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF MVP

There is no way the Yankees are trading anything close to Frazier + Rutherford + Acevedo for Quintana.

And there's no way the White Sox are trading Quintana for Mateo + some lower level prospects.

This deal isn't going to happen unless the asking price comes down. Frazier plus some a couple guys in our 8-15 range is probably what it'll take at that point and I'm okay with that. Otherwise, don't blow up the whole farm for him.

Luis Severino, Luis Cessa, Bryan Mitchell, Chad Green and Adam Warren will compete for the final two spots in the rotation behind Tanaka, Michael Pineda and CC Sabathia.
    ^^ From Ken Rosenthal's article. I have no problem having these 5 guys duke it out for the 2 spots and it would probably be rotated among them during the season.

And that's not even considering our depth behind them- like Enns and Montgomery, who seem to have no realistic shot to win a rotation spot out of ST without massive injuries to our projected starters.

That's not my preferred plan in '18-'19, but I'd really like to see what he have with our young arms this season.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Suspended

I'm very uninterested in Luis Cessa, Bryan Mitchell, Chad Green and Adam Warren getting that 5th spot.

To me, Cessa showed me last year that he could be a serviceable #5 starter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    Very much so.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    #5 starters aren't the types we should be giving rotation spots to. He had a 5.52 FIP last season. I like his changeup, other than that, meh.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Bumgarner is 27, has 500 more IP.
    Kershaw is 28 has 800 more IP.
    Both at tremendous salaries.

Quintana at 7mil and substantially fewer IP seems like a huge bargain.
    But this has nothing to do with the discussion. We're talking about trading for him, not whether his contract is team friendly.

I'm very uninterested in Luis Cessa, Bryan Mitchell, Chad Green and Adam Warren getting that 5th spot.
    Then I might have bad news for you, because one of them will probably be getting the #4 spot!
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but I saw a story the Yankees and Comcast finally reached an agreement to carry the YES network again. I haven't been able to find an actual date when that will happen, though. But it's good news nevertheless for folks who couldn't get Yankees games on comcast this past year.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Thread Information