+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    In all fairness, I seriously doubt that life jackets would have made a difference. By all accounts, the deaths were caused by the impact of the crash and not by drowning.
    Oh I know. I thought it was worth mentioning on top of the other risks that were taken.

Is... Is this what it was like when Munson died?

I still can't believe this happened....
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    wonder if Fernandez is the greatest active player at the time of his death to leave us too soon. There are a handful that had more extensive resumes -- Ed Delahanty, Thurman Munson ... but they were on the downside. Clemente maybe comes closest, still a devastating hitter at age 37 but he had played for almost 20 years.

Sorry if this seems cold, the human tragedy here is of course wholly independent of baseball considerations. It just occurs to me we've probably never seen such a bright-burning comet disappear while still on the ascent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Like Odin and Crews, except they were on a lake and hit a dock.
    I think I remember guys like Hargrove, Thome and Lofton say several years later that the Olin/Crews tragedy permanently changed the character of the 1990s Indians clubhouse. Any petty squabbling or grudge-holding just stopped. Young men hit with a lethal dose of perspective and what really matters.

If any shred of good can come from this nightmare ...

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post

With the disclaimer that I grew up with Munson's entire career and thus had more of a personal connection than I have had with Jose ... yeah. This is pretty much what it was like.

Can't imagine how the Marlins or even the Mets to a lesser extent will do this tomorrow, but they will. Someone mentioned Conley ... irony, he would ostensibly be in line to take Fernandez's spot tomorrow, but as of this hour the Marlins still have TBA listed and he's certainly entitled to ask off.

Yankees and Orioles had to play on Friday, Aug. 3, 1979, day after Munson's death on an off day. Some people confuse this game with the "Bobby Murcer game" that actually happened the night after Thurman's funeral on Monday, Aug. 6, last game of a 4-game weekend "wraparound" series with the O's. The Friday night game was the one in which the Yanks took the field with 8 players, leaving the catcher slot unoccupied until the first pitch. (Assume Marlins will do the same tomorrow, leaving the mound unoccupied.)

Orioles won that game 1-0, remember it vividly. Both teams played as if in a trance, and the crowd seemed to watch as if in the same trance. Never wanted to see another scene like that again.

Released Outright
    *70* year old Ex-New York Psychologist now in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Oh I know. I thought it was worth mentioning on top of the other risks that were taken.
    Yes, it IS worth mentioning that all three refused to wear life jackets even though it appears it wouldn't have saved them (in THIS instance). It IS quite notable since it shows a blatant disregard for safety. As did speeding in the dark waters in the middle of the night.

The only reasons these three fellas are getting maximum sympathy here is because amongst them was a young, highly talented "good guy" well-known MLB ball player. Had the deceased been nothing more than three average Joes, A. we probably wouldn't even be hearing this news, and B. they probably would have been written off as three young reckless fools speeding in the middle of the night without even wearing life jackets!
    Last edited by Retired_Doc; 09-26-16 at 10:49 AM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Retired_Doc View Post
    The only reasons these three fellas are getting maximum sympathy here
    Please do tell what level of sympathy is appropriate, o great moral guide. I don't want to empty my sympathy tank on the unworthy, as decided by you.

Just shocked and sad. To speak to Retired Docs comments, I really don't give a flying ................ what they were doing, it doesn't make it any less tragic. And, really, the only reason we are hearing about it is because one of the young men who died was a young, phenomenal athlete? No ................, that's the way it works, and as fans of the game of baseball, that is why we are saddened. He was so much fun to watch. This kid endured more in his young life than you, me, or 99% of the people on this board could ever imagine. So, judge away.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Please do tell what level of sympathy is appropriate, o great moral guide. I don't want to empty my sympathy tank on the unworthy, as decided by you.
    First of all, I never said I wasn't sympathetic towards the Fernandez family and friends, Marlins fans, as well as the family and friends of the other two fellas. Did I?

As far as "what level of sympathy is appropriate" in this matter, the answer is: whatever level you, as an individual, determine to be appropriate. It's surely not my concern what level you choose.

Some times baseball seems bigger than life ... other times its seems so small. RIP Jose.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Yankees and Orioles had to play on Friday, Aug. 3, 1979, day after Munson's death on an off day. Some people confuse this game with the "Bobby Murcer game" that actually happened the night after Thurman's funeral on Monday, Aug. 6, last game of a 4-game weekend "wraparound" series with the O's. The Friday night game was the one in which the Yanks took the field with 8 players, leaving the catcher slot unoccupied until the first pitch. (Assume Marlins will do the same tomorrow, leaving the mound unoccupied.)

Orioles won that game 1-0, remember it vividly. Both teams played as if in a trance, and the crowd seemed to watch as if in the same trance. Never wanted to see another scene like that again.
    Thanks for sharing this historical perspective. That 8 men on would've been quite the emotional moment.

Devastating.

Still feel like I was punched in the stomach... and add me to the list of those who cried over the news.

NYYF Legend

I have to stop myself from reading articles, checking this thread, etc. because I don't want to feel the way this situation makes me feel anymore.

Clint Hurdle:
    “It’s just sad. It’s so horribly sad on so many different levels that there’ll be no more of that, there’ll be no more of him, there’ll be no more of that emotion on the mound, that skill-set, that human being, that young man with such a gift, such a great smile.

“I’ve been trying to live that life for a while now I wasn’t always in that place. It just makes all the more sense when things like this happen. Be where your feet are. Enjoy the moment. There’ll be a day when there won’t be another day.”
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

^ I must agree with you. I saw a clip of Keith Hernandez's pregame intro yesterday - he completely lost it. Gut-wrenching.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post

I was just a kid at the time but Thurman was one of my Dad's idols. I still remember coming inside the house after playing with my friends that day and my Dad was just sitting alone in the dark, reading the bible. He could barely look at me. He just muttered "Thurman Munson is dead. Plane crash". Of course being a kid, I had no idea how to react, and I'm sure my Dad had no idea how to break the news to me or how he was supposed to react, either. That was as close as I ever came to seeing my Father break down in tears up until the day of my Grandmother's funeral a couple of years ago. Definitely a parallel situation here with Fernandez.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Here's a really great piece highlighting some of his best punchouts. I don't have an eye for pitches and can't really tell the difference between a 2 seam fastball and a curveball or changeup but this guy does a great job explaining what made Jose so great.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...pitching_gifs/

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Here's a really great piece highlighting some of his best punchouts. I don't have an eye for pitches and can't really tell the difference between a 2 seam fastball and a curveball or changeup but this guy does a great job explaining what made Jose so great.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...pitching_gifs/
    Thanks for that.

This pitch was downright nasty. Love his and Hanley's reaction to it.

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnevenGleefulFlyinglemur.webm

NYYF Legend

Yes, it IS worth mentioning that all three refused to wear life jackets even though it appears it wouldn't have saved them (in THIS instance). It IS quite notable since it shows a blatant disregard for safety. As did speeding in the dark waters in the middle of the night.

The only reasons these three fellas are getting maximum sympathy here is because amongst them was a young, highly talented "good guy" well-known MLB ball player. Had the deceased been nothing more than three average Joes, A. we probably wouldn't even be hearing this news, and B. they probably would have been written off as three young reckless fools speeding in the middle of the night without even wearing life jackets!
    Probably. And it wouldn't surprise me to find out that alcohol was involved. I don't know this as a fact and I'm not suggesting it, just saying if that's the case it won't be terribly surprising.

However it is still a tragedy for the 3 families and a great loss for the baseball community.

Rest In Peace
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

NY Post -

Jose Fernandez, the Marlins pitching sensation killed in a tragic boat accident early Sunday, spent some of his final moments partying at a Miami hot spot, according to a published report.

Fernandez and at least one of the two other men who died in the fatal crash were at the American Social Bar & Kitchen at around 2 a.m., sources told TMZ.

Fernandez, 24, and pals Emilio Macias, 27, and Eduardo Rivero, 25, were killed when their boat hit a jetty off Miami Beach sometime before 3:15 a.m.

Investigators said Sunday there was no immediate evidence that booze or drugs played a role in the fatal crash. But officials conceded that any final answer to that question won’t be known until results of toxicology tests are known.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Probably. And it wouldn't surprise me to find out that alcohol was involved. I don't know this as a fact and I'm not suggesting it, just saying if that's the case it won't be terribly surprising.

However it is still a tragedy for the 3 families and a great loss for the baseball community.

Rest In Peace
    It wouldn't surprise me either. In fact the NY Post is reporting that he and at least one of the two now deceased friends were out at a bar till approx 2AM. Now if any of the three had consumed any alcohol at all, then they surely had no business speeding on the ocean in the pitch dark of the night.

The official toxicology report has not yet been issued. And like the poster Yankee Tripper, I also suspect alcohol. Why? Because most sober folks don't go speeding on the ocean in the pitch dark of the night.

NYYF Legend

It wouldn't surprise me either. In fact the NY Post is reporting that he and at least one of the two now deceased friends were out at a bar till approx 2AM. Now if any of the three had consumed any alcohol at all, then they surely had no business speeding on the ocean in the pitch dark of the night.

The official toxicology report has not yet been issued. And like the poster Yankee Tripper, I also suspect alcohol. Why? Because most sober folks don't go speeding on the ocean in the pitch dark of the night.
    Yep. All of this.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yep. All of this.
    Just curious - a Q for some of you experts.

Read in one of the articles that after he got back from TJS, he changed his delivery or selection of pitches a bit, to try to reduce the wear/tear on his arm. These gifs show incredible movement. Are they most/all from pre TJS, or are some from his post TJS and new pitch selection era?

This is just so heartbreaking for his family and friends. Forget about baseball; he had a baby on the way.

Legendary Announcer Vin Scully Tells Story Remembering Jose Fernandez [VIDEO]

Anyways, young Jose a year ago wrote the following, ‘If you were given a book with the story of your life would you read the end?’
    Sigh.

This story seems to be getting even more disturbing as more details start to come out. Turns out Fernandez was the owner of the boat and was likely driving it at the time of the crash. Additionally, it seems he was distressed that night :

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...104261146.html

Klepper declined to discuss whether they were looking into Fernández’s appearance at American Social. He also declined to discuss whether investigators were aware of a Sunday Instagram post from Will Bernal, a friend of Rivero’s who said Fernández was upset about something before the trio boarded his boat.
    “Try to keep him close to shore if you go out,” Bernal texted Rivero.
    “Trust me it’s not my time yet,” Rivero responded.
    “I know but try to keep José cool, tell him what I said,” Bernal wrote back.
    Rivero then posted a picture of his phone’s map application, showing an area of the Miami River.
    In an interview with the Miami Herald, Bernal said Rivero had only met Fernandez within the past few months and had actually left a birthday party late Saturday night to hang out with the Marlins superstar, “who was really stressed out.”
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

The diminutive Dee Gordon, one of Jose's closest friends, leads off the game for the Marlins hitting right handed and wearing Jose's helmet. Takes the first pitch, then switches around to the left side takes the second pitch, and promptly crushes the third pitch into the second deck for his first home run of the season (303 ABs).

He's losing his composure rounding the bases, then just lets it all out when he gets to home plate, head down, sobbing, and relying on teammates to physically prop him up back to the dugout and down into the tunnel.

This is incredibly heart-wrenching.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The diminutive Dee Gordon, one of Jose's closest friends, leads off the game for the Marlins hitting right handed and wearing Jose's helmet. Takes the first pitch, then switches around to the left side takes the second pitch, and promptly crushes the third pitch into the second deck for his first home run of the season (303 ABs).

He's losing his composure rounding the bases, then just lets it all out when he gets to home plate, head down, sobbing, and relying on teammates to physically prop him up back to the dugout and down into the tunnel.

This is incredibly heart-wrenching.
    The parallels to Thurman Munson are eerie - in the Yankees first game after Thurm's death, his best friend on the team, Bobby Murcer, also hit a home run...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information