+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 International Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Do the five figure signings (< $90K) count against the cap?
    $10K and under don't count against the pool.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

If we do get Otani, just want to remind everyone that we did get 1.5M of international spending money in the Gray trade. That's definitely an overlooked part of the deal.

NYYF Legend

Japanese media reported that NPB will make a formal request to MLB to negotiate an IFA cap exemption.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Japanese media reported that NPB will make a formal request to MLB to negotiate an IFA cap exemption.
    I makes sense for the NPB. He's their Babe Ruth and you want that signing to be a massive splash, you want a bidding and courting war for the ages.
    It shines a bright light on NPB and showcases the league to the world while also highlighting Otani and how good he is.

I doubt MLB will do it but I understand the move.

NYYF Legend

If MLB accepts it, I wonder how far they go.

1) Have Otani not count towards the pool.

2) Have Otani not considered under any IFA rule.

The first would be a huge benefit to the Yankees. The second would be relatively disastrous.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    If MLB accepts it, I wonder how far they go.

1) Have Otani not count towards the pool.

2) Have Otani not considered under any IFA rule.
    The first would be a huge benefit to the Yankees. The second would be relatively disastrous.

If they make ANY kind of exception for Otani, they have to do it agin for others in the future.

To prevent this massive can of worms from opening, I doubt they allow any exception at all. Maybe some "gentlemen's agreement" that he will be able to get a large "extension" after his first year. But that's it. No exceptions to the just-negotiated contract with the Players Union.

NYYF Legend

Is the cap exemption in relation to the posting fee the team is owed ($20m) AND/OR the max contract Otani can receive?
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    If they make ANY kind of exception for Otani, they have to do it agin for others in the future.

To prevent this massive can of worms from opening, I doubt they allow any exception at all. Maybe some "gentlemen's agreement" that he will be able to get a large "extension" after his first year. But that's it. No exceptions to the just-negotiated contract with the Players Union.
    Well, the NPB posting system is up for renewal/negotiation every year in December ever since the original three year agreement ran out last year. I wonder if that plays into concessions/changes NPB will pursue to get Otani compensated.

Manfred just needs to be stoic about those on restriction REMAINING on restriction. That's all I care about regarding any rumored changes.

The main question is if they do agree to any sort of tweak, will it be exclusive to NPB or will it be overall?

I know it's an exemption being discussed but it potentially sets a precedent moving forward if it's not relative strictly to a certain area, league or issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    $10K and under don't count against the pool.
    Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Is the cap exemption in relation to the posting fee the team is owed ($20m) AND/OR the max contract Otani can receive?
    Don't have the details at this stage.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    The main question is if they do agree to any sort of tweak, will it be exclusive to NPB or will it be overall?

I know it's an exemption being discussed but it potentially sets a precedent moving forward if it's not relative strictly to a certain area, league or issue.
    I have no idea what they're going to do but NPB could propose somthing MLB would easily accept. To avoid setting precedent they could adjust the posting system. For example, the maximum posting fee for age 25 or below could increase to $50M and the team receiving the fee needs to give 20% to the player as compensation.

So in all seriousness what position will Otani play? Pitcher?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post

Any team, and I mean any team, that signs Otani is taking him as a Pitcher. His hitting is the issue that has to be worked out, but he is coming over as a Pitcher.

In the AL, he would be a DH when he is not Pitching, although I doubt he would be a full-time DH. Probably sits the day after and the day before he pitches, as well as the day he pitches. In the NL, it sounds like he would have to be an OF/PH, and again, I doubt he is in any sort of regular rotation in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Do the five figure signings (< $90K) count against the cap?
    Anything above $10k counts towards the IFA cap
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The posting fee does not count against the cap, only his bonus will.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

Quote Originally Posted by TorreFan66 View Post
    Pitcher and hitter, that's already been said to be a factor in his decision. He wants to pitch and then hit on his days off.
    But if he gets hurt running the bases or getting hit by a pitch...I would think the team would attempt to shut it down afterwards and have him focus on the mound.

I have no idea what they're going to do but NPB could propose somthing MLB would easily accept. To avoid setting precedent they could adjust the posting system. For example, the maximum posting fee for age 25 or below could increase to $50M and the team receiving the fee needs to give 20% to the player as compensation.
    True but MLB is trying to restrict spending on IFA's so adjusting the system would likely be a issue for them if they are strict on it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    The posting fee does not count against the cap, only his bonus will.
    I know, kan said 'NPB will make a formal request to MLB to negotiate an IFA cap exemption.' I was asking if the 'IFA cap exemption' was in relation to the cap on the posting fee or the cap on his bonus. Both are capped under the current CBA.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    True but MLB is trying to restrict spending on IFA's so adjusting the system would likely be a issue for them if they are strict on it.
    I don't think they treat NPB the same. They still set the limit for posting fee so they get the control. What they don't want to see is no cap restriction. Normally NPB players who could come to the major under 25 are elites players and are ready unlike those unproven IFAs in Dominican Republic. $40M would still be a huge steal for a major league ready young IFA. They get a relatively sure thing 6 years of control.

Money wont be the "deciding factor" as evident by him coming over now.

but if you can have everything you want (dodgers/Yankees both offer you that) AND you can make 3.25M opposed to 300K.. why wouldn't you chose the 3M?

I believe they will make it so that anyone who has been in one of MLB's recognized pro leagues, ie, not CUBA, will depend on service time rather than calendar age.

I don't think they treat NPB the same. They still set the limit for posting fee so they get the control. What they don't want to see is no cap restriction. Normally NPB players who could come to the major under 25 are elites players and are ready unlike those unproven IFAs in Dominican Republic. $40M would still be a huge steal for a major league ready young IFA. They get a relatively sure thing 6 years of control.
    I agree that they treat the NPB system differently but at present outside of the posting fee they have the same rules.
    Making an exemption now would be interesting in how other agents or representatives from other countries attempt to play it.

NYYF Legend

An interesting team Japanese media have brought up for Otani chase - Padres. The Fighters first USA Spring Training was at Peoria Sports Complex (Padres and Mariners Spring Training Camp location). In addition, both Takashi Saito and Hideo Nomo are currently working in Padres front office.

Padres and Dodgers are two NL teams that Japanese media have mentioned.

An interesting team Japanese media have brought up for Otani chase - Padres. The Fighters first USA Spring Training was at Peoria Sports Complex (Padres and Mariners Spring Training Camp location). In addition, both Takashi Saito and Hideo Nomo are currently working in Padres front office.

Padres and Dodgers are two NL teams that Japanese media have mentioned.
    Does the Japanese media indicate or suggest whether he prefers the DH league or the league where he would have to play OF to get as many at-bats? It would seem to me that the rational decision making process for him would begin with deciding the league he prefers, since the DH makes a very big difference for him. If I were him, I would eliminate the NL teams for this reason. But if I wanted to play some OF, I would favor the NL teams. In any event, my choices would come down to being in one league or the other.

Thread Information