+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

2017 International Free Agency

Here's something to get us familiar with the names we'll be discussing.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/200042...icid=151437456

Hopefully the rules don't change so this can be another shopping binge for us.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

Re: 2017 International Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by MylesThomas1927 View Post
    Here's something to get us familiar with the names we'll be discussing.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/200042...icid=151437456

Hopefully the rules don't change so this can be another shopping binge for us.
    If we do go on another binge then people will complain that we picked the wrong year again.

pick the year because there is moncada? not a single problem with that.

picked the moncada year without signing moncada? lol

NYYF MVP

Well said. I don't really care what year they go in as it's hard to predict anyway. But once they're all in and forced to sit out the next few years, they better go all the way in and go after every single one of the top guys aggressively.

With not a single MLB free agent last offseason and not much expected for this offseason, I'd love to see the team pour all those resources into the IFA market.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    pick the year because there is moncada? not a single problem with that.

picked the moncada year without signing moncada? lol
    I really want to know what was going through the Yankees mind on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    I really want to know what was going through the Yankees mind on that one.
    Lopez screwed us over on that. He over stepped his bounds. Hence why he was given the boot from the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Norge Ruiz is finally a FA . Last year he fell under Signing restrictions . I wonder if now being granted FA status a year later then thought has change the signing scope on him and if so I think the Yankees would have strong interest

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Norge Ruiz is finally a FA . Last year he fell under Signing restrictions . I wonder if now being granted FA status a year later then thought has change the signing scope on him and if so I think the Yankees would have strong interest
    Right now, we can't sign him for more than $300,000 (if we even have that much left in our pool), but he turns 23 March 15th. He may want to wait until then to sign as it allows everyone to get in on the bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    Lopez screwed us over on that. He over stepped his bounds. Hence why he was given the boot from the Yankees.
    That he was allowed within a mile of impacting that deal is embarrassing.

I think everyone involved screwed up that deal. Lopez was the exclamation point.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    That he was allowed within a mile of impacting that deal is embarrassing.

I think everyone involved screwed up that deal. Lopez was the exclamation point.
    This is what happens when you allow the gardener to negotiate player contracts.

Whomever Jessica Steinbrenner marries next, keep his ass far away from the team.

Addicted Member

Here are some thoughts on what may happen with IFA:

4. International Draft with Simplified and Consistent Rules in Signing International
    For one, having streamlined rules will end the black market for acquiring talent as teams would be forced to draft or sign talent through a dedicated and fair system adding further parity to the league. It would get rid of buscones[12] and their use of muscle, money, and threats in getting players smuggled into Mexico or another country to eventually land in the United States on a visa where they can sign and play for a Major League team. Lastly, it would be the next logical step in the graduation of the game in the international market.

Imagine drafting Japanese, Korean, Venezuelan, Cuban, Mexican, and Dominican amateurs in the same round, at the same time, and subject to the same rules. Imagine drafting international free agents in one simplified posting system. Brilliant, safe, exciting, and a fair playing field. Baseball will finally be able to highlight the international game that it is. Couple this with the World Baseball Classic and it is further highlight of the beautiful game of baseball.

Prediction: With the ease of relations between the United States and Cuba, we are already seeing a move towards simplified and consistent rules to acquiring international talent. A lack of time may prevent Major League Baseball and the Players Association from implementing a complete overhaul, but it is ripe for the pickoff (pun intended).

https://www.csllegal.com/top-ten-iss...-negotiations/

I'm hoping whatever the new plan is, it's too complex to implement immediately and they allow this next signing period to roll with the old rules.

Unless there's a very good idea what the new plan is, teams have been planning toward July 2nd as they always have. (Illegal) deals have already been agreed to.

NYYF Legend

Seeing how they ruined Puerto Rico baseball, I don't know how exciting it could be. They just don't want to spend too much at IFA pool. The league could do this because they have leverage. Don't try to spin it as a change of making international baseball better.

End what black market? Players will simply make back room deals like the Sox did and get more money or refuse to sign.

This is what happens when you allow the gardener to negotiate player contracts.

Whomever Jessica Steinbrenner marries next, keep his ass far away from the team.
    Cosigned.

JS: "He mowed lawns Hal. Of course he should be in on the Moncada negotiations."

Addicted Member

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...otiations.html

According to Olney, current proposals have the first 10-round international draft slated for March 2018, and by the year 2021, the minimum age requirement for international draft eligibility would be 18 a departure from the current system, which allows players to sign as early as their 16th birthday.

Maybe we'll have one last chance to binge. My only fear is they'll put an extreme penalty in for the last year to make sure it doesn't happen.

According to Olney, current proposals have the first 10-round international draft slated for March 2018, and by the year 2021, the minimum age requirement for international draft eligibility would be 18 a departure from the current system, which allows players to sign as early as their 16th birthday.

Maybe we'll have one last chance to binge. My only fear is they'll put an extreme penalty in for the last year to make sure it doesn't happen.
    Who gives a crap? Splurge and deal with the damage later. We will be penalized either way.

Addicted Member

If the penalty is losing several picks in each of the first two drafts, splurge away.

The best 18-year olds to be picked in those drafts were already signed last July 2nd, and will be this July 2nd.

NYYF MVP

If the penalty is losing several picks in each of the first two drafts, splurge away.

The best 18-year olds to be picked in those drafts were already signed last July 2nd, and will be this July 2nd.
    Excellent point.
    "No, I would not like to reconsider being a Yankee fan, and no, marrying a New Englander should have no bearing on it."

NYYF Legend

My question is will the eventually merge the two drafts once the international portion catches up to the age 18 minimum and then expand the rounds to 60? Also will the worst team in the league get a shot at the first overall pick in both drafts from 2018-2021? That wouldn't seem fair.

I am in favor of an international draft so I am glad to see that there is progress.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    My question is will the eventually merge the two drafts once the international portion catches up to the age 18 minimum and then expand the rounds to 60? Also will the worst team in the league get a shot at the first overall pick in both drafts from 2018-2021? That wouldn't seem fair.

I am in favor of an international draft so I am glad to see that there is progress.
    If there really will be an International draft starting in 2018, then by the next CBA, I can see both drafts being combined into a single draft. I doubt 60 rounds though. More likely something near 50.

What a combined draft will do is almost guarantee a stud prospect available throughout that 1st round, either from the States or Internationally. I hope they also allow the trading of any pick. That would "spice up" the draft a bit.

International draft will cause more problems than it solves. Long been a terrible idea so Manfred and Co. will def do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    If there really will be an International draft starting in 2018, then by the next CBA, I can see both drafts being combined into a single draft. I doubt 60 rounds though. More likely something near 50.

What a combined draft will do is almost guarantee a stud prospect available throughout that 1st round, either from the States or Internationally. I hope they also allow the trading of any pick. That would "spice up" the draft a bit.
    I don't see them being combined, too many potential logistical issues and no way in hell you can do the medical research needed to evaluate some of the prospects in the way you can with normal amateur draft prospects.

NYYF Legend

I don't see them being combined, too many potential logistical issues and no way in hell you can do the medical research needed to evaluate some of the prospects in the way you can with normal amateur draft prospects.
    I disagree with your reasons. Teams do what they have to do now with Int'l players, so why would a draft prevent them from continuing to do so. I am sure there will be teams that will not choose to spend much in the way of resources researching Int'l players, concentrating instead on the homegrown players. That will be to their detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I disagree with your reasons. Teams do what they have to do now with Int'l players, so why would a draft prevent them from continuing to do so. I am sure there will be teams that will not choose to spend much in the way of resources researching Int'l players, concentrating instead on the homegrown players. That will be to their detriment.
    I meant the MLB and their medical staff as a whole, not individual teams. The MLB is pushing the draft to become bigger and more akin to the NFL and NBA one in terms of fans tuning in.

No way in hell they could have the evaluations to cover that many international prospects. Not with the way the system is currently set up.

NYYF Legend

I meant the MLB and their medical staff as a whole, not individual teams. The MLB is pushing the draft to become bigger and more akin to the NFL and NBA one in terms of fans tuning in.

No way in hell they could have the evaluations to cover that many international prospects. Not with the way the system is currently set up.
    Seem to me it would be more similar to the NHL draft which includes players from all over Europe and North America all in one draft. If they can get scouting and medial info on a Scandinavian Sniper than I am sure a MLB can get what they need on a Dominican slugger. It a really poor argument.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Thread Information