+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 2017 International Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    They are not playing around with new cap. Damn.
    I'm confused. So, if the Yankees go on another IFS spending spree in 2019, the penalty is they only get 1/2 their pool to spend in each of 2020 and 2021? How is that worse than the two years after 2014? Did they spend over 2.4MM in 2015 or 2016?

Tee up a 2019 or 2020 spending spree

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    I'm confused. So, if the Yankees go on another IFS spending spree in 2019, the penalty is they only get 1/2 their pool to spend in each of 2020 and 2021? How is that worse than the two years after 2014? Did they spend over 2.4MM in 2015 or 2016?

Tee up a 2019 or 2020 spending spree
    It's simple. There are no more sprees. You only get your pool, which is around 5m (likely lower for us due to revenue). I think 4.75m. You can't spend more than that. End of story.

You can trade/sell all of your pool, but you can only acquire an additional 75% of your pool. So if we have a 5m pool for a year, we can only bump to 8.75m on the year via trade.

Badler just put on a piece explaining everything better than I.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...wk0ZkUH2i56.97

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    It's simple. There are no more sprees. You only get your pool, which is around 5m (likely lower for us due to revenue). I think 4.75m. You can't spend more than that. End of story.

You can trade/sell all of your pool, but you can only acquire an additional 75% of your pool. So if we have a 5m pool for a year, we can only bump to 8.75m on the year via trade.
    So why the penalty language? Void contracts and lose 50% in future?

Edit: Here's the penalty language I'm talking about:

Per Passan, MLB can penalize up to 50 percent of a team’s international bonus money through the 2021 season if it is found to be in violation of the new international signing rules.

NYYF Legend

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/0...gning-ban.html

The penalties are not for going over the cap (which is impossible), it's for doing shady accounting that makes it look like you stayed under the cap (or any other system-circumventing rule breaking). Like the Red Sox.

That penalty isn't for going over the cap, you simply can't. It's for cheating, like the Red Sox did recently. Making their signings look less than they actually were.

There is one good thing in this. This is where our facilities down there should help.

Signing bonuses of $10,000 or less will continue to be exempt from the bonus pools.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...Qd212wIu2i4.99

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    That penalty isn't for going over the cap, you simply can't. It's for cheating, like the Red Sox did recently. Making their signings look less than they actually were.
    Ah, its becoming clearer now. Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Why is the MLBPA union so dead set against an International Draft? What do they care?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by TheHugeUnit2 View Post
    They weren't allowed to sign anyone this year and their prospects contracts were voided out.
    they were restricted anyway and their penalty was basically a rewind. slap on the wrist
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

To teams which invest heavily there, the hard cap is a lot better than a draft. It's not only about the exempted small bonus signings. The hard cap forces teams not to go insane for particular players. The academy and agent relationship become even more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Why is the MLBPA union so dead set against an International Draft? What do they care?
    Because some of the best players in the game came over via international FA and while the MLBPA does not really care about international born amateurs, it's members feel that any restriction you allow the owners to have will be strengthened at a later date.

NYYF Legend

Because some of the best players in the game came over via international FA and while the MLBPA does not really care about international born amateurs, it's members feel that any restriction you allow the owners to have will be strengthened at a later date.
    A hard cap is even worse if they concern about restriction.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Agreed...

NYYF Legend

But they allowed the owners to cap the bonus pool for draftees only to watch the Cubans and Dominican amateurs make far more money. Seems like they care less about the American born players subject to the draft.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

But they allowed the owners to cap the bonus pool for draftees only to watch the Cubans and Dominican amateurs make far more money. Seems like they care less about the American born players subject to the draft.
    I'm with you. It doesn't make sense to me why the MLBPA is so opposed to an international draft. The alternative that they just agreed to seems much worse, IMO.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I'm with you. It doesn't make sense to me why the MLBPA is so opposed to an international draft. The alternative that they just agreed to seems much worse, IMO.
    So strange but so true. What is the thought process here? A kid in the MLB draft is controlled to a higher degree for the most part.

A draft would essentially force a non competitive marketplace, granted the undertakings and logistics of it would be a mess.
    Even with the cap, teams can still sign good players and the 10K bonus is still not accounted for in that 4.75-6 mil number.

As much as it seems to be a bad idea, just like with the amateur draft, it forces more money into the veteran players pockets. Owners are going to spend money, the MLBPA much like with the NFLPA want that money going into the hands of their respective veteran players.

The draft pick compensation changes ensure that, that was one of the primary goals for the MLBPA to begin with, a truer form of free agency and more money going into the pool for veteran players. Less restrictions.

While they have little care in dealing away the rights of non union members, they do not want to fully eliminate free market deals for those players.

Now, where the messed up badly on was the 25 year age restriction, Otani & Fujinami are guys they should want in the MLB as soon as possible.

That was more designed to force players into signing and having less drama. Similar to the NFL agreeing to the rookie scale.
    Too many players were having insane bonus demands and essentially forcing their way out of certain teams taking them.

NYYF Legend

Just because they have a cap on IFA, it doesn't mean that the owners have to spend more to the veterans. It is not NFL CBA. They don't have to share guarantee revenue percentage.

And makes it even worse, the luxury tax cap doesn't raise enough to match with the revenue growth.

The IFA draft is for the owners to get cost certainty. Now the union gives them a even better proposal to get the cost certainty and open the flood gate to any form of hard cap in the future.

Clark messed up badly.

Just because they have a cap on IFA, it doesn't mean that the owners have to spend more to the veterans. It is not NFL CBA. They don't have to share guarantee revenue percentage.

And makes it even worse, the luxury tax cap doesn't raise enough to match with the revenue growth.

The IFA draft is for the owners to get cost certainty. Now the union gives them a even better proposal to get the cost certainty and open the flood gate to any form of hard cap in the future.

Clark messed up badly.
    Outside of a few teams that attempt to utilize their club for profit instead of being actively competitive, most owners are going to spend money on vets if it's available.
    You see it in the contracts that are handed out in FA, the only thing that has stopped them from spending more has been the qualifying offer penalties and that was only with certain players.

Now instead of spending 7 mil on a IFA prospect or forking over a major deal for a 23-24 year old outside of the bonus structure, now that money is likely to go back into the ML side and get spent that way.

NYYF Legend

Outside of a few teams that attempt to utilize their club for profit instead of being actively competitive, most owners are going to spend money on vets if it's available.
    You see it in the contracts that are handed out in FA, the only thing that has stopped them from spending more has been the qualifying offer penalties and that was only with certain players.

Now instead of spending 7 mil on a IFA prospect or forking over a major deal for a 23-24 year old outside of the bonus structure, now that money is likely to go back into the ML side and get spent that way.
    I don't see any evidence of it. It doesn't stop them from spending on veterans under the previous system. In 2015 only 8 teams spent more than $5M and 3 of them spent less than $6M. The top spending teams were Red Sox, the Cubs and the Dodgers. You can add the Rangers and the Yankees which were restricted. The IFA cap are not going to affect those teams. And most of the owners won't spend more just because there is a cap. Majority of the owners didn't spend that much on IFA anyway.

If Clark is sold that the owners would spend more because of the cap, it just shows how incompetent he is.

As expected. Such bullshi*.

$5.75 Million
    Arizona Diamondbacks
    Baltimore Orioles
    Cleveland Indians
    Colorado Rockies
    Kansas City Royals
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    St. Louis Cardinals
    San Diego Padres
    $5.25 Million
    Cincinnati Reds
    Miami Marlins
    Milwaukee Brewers
    Minnesota Twins
    Oakland Athletics
    Tampa Bay Rays
    $4.75 Million
    Atlanta Braves
    Boston Red Sox
    Chicago Cubs
    Chicago White Sox
    Detroit Tigers
    Houston Astros
    Los Angeles Angels
    Los Angeles Dodgers
    New York Mets
    New York Yankees
    Philadelphia Phillies
    San Francisco Giants
    Seattle Mariners
    Texas Rangers
    Toronto Blue Jays
    Washington Nationals

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...l-bonus-pools/

Why is Baltimore in with the poverty teams?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

I've always loved how Oakland is considered small market.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

I wonder what the international pools are going to be worth on the open market. What's a couple million get you?

Thread Information