+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: 2017 International Free Agency

Baseball is begging for a big problem with the way these Braves players are being disbursed. The players, despite participating in the shenanigans, benefit greatly by getting a second bonus. I would be surprised if there are not more allegations popping up soon.

The player from Team X who took side money when he first signed is now looking at these other guys getting another huge check. They're going to want their's.

MLB should've just had a lottery to find these guys new homes.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by MylesThomas1927 View Post
    Baseball is begging for a big problem with the way these Braves players are being disbursed. The players, despite participating in the shenanigans, benefit greatly by getting a second bonus. I would be surprised if there are not more allegations popping up soon.

The player from Team X who took side money when he first signed is now looking at these other guys getting another huge check. They're going to want their's.

MLB should've just had a lottery to find these guys new homes.
    Was this reported or speculation on your part?

Addicted Member

No, no, just speculation, but also logic. It's difficult to give someone additional money without or working out a deal years in advance of the signing day without them knowing.

I could be wrong. Maybe the handlers keep all this from the players, and potential penalties on them would keep them quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Jonathan Mayo‏@JonathanMayo 7m7 minutes ago
    While @Yankees might be out on Ohtani, they are looking closely at Cuban OF Julio Pablo Martinez, who has big showcase planned Dec. 8, and former @Braves prospect Yunior Severino
    Bring in more talented youngsters and build the farm up even more. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    Jonathan Mayo‏@JonathanMayo 7m7 minutes ago
    While @Yankees might be out on Ohtani, they are looking closely at Cuban OF Julio Pablo Martinez, who has big showcase planned Dec. 8, and former @Braves prospect Yunior Severino
    The Cuban CF'er Julio Pablo Martinez can play. IMO, he's the real deal. Could easily be in the big leagues by 2019; love the swing he shows off in the BA video posted earlier. Having both him AND Florial in the system is the best kind of problem to have; sign this kid!!!

https://www.baseballamerica.com/inte...rYijDZD3bp9.97

Addicted Member

Abraham Gutierrez signs with the Phillies. It would've been nice to add this catcher.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MylesThomas1927 View Post
    Abraham Gutierrez signs with the Phillies. It would've been nice to add this catcher.
    Wooooow, he got only $550K! He had been the second highest bonus in the group at $3.53 million! This must have been some truly corrupt isht going on.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Wooooow, he got only $550K! He had been the second highest bonus in the group at $3.53 million! This must have been some truly corrupt isht going on.
    Well, the players get to keep their original bonuses, plus a lot of the 2017 pool is gone for most teams, so the new bonus size is harder to judge as to what it actually means.

It's really hard for me to question anything Cashman has done in recent years, but catcher behind Sanchez is a major organizational hole and one he doesn't seem in a big rush to fill. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but still a bit surprising it doesn't seem to be a higher organizational priority. Also I know the Padres taking Torrens years before he was actually ready factors into this, but we need to move on and get some more catching talent into the system somehow.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Well, the players get to keep their original bonuses, plus a lot of the 2017 pool is gone for most teams, so the new bonus size is harder to judge as to what it actually means.
    True, but the ability to allocate to 2018 diminishes almost all of that effect if the player is actually good. Maitan and Rosario got 55-65% of their original bonus. Gutierrez got 15%!

It's really hard for me to question anything Cashman has done in recent years, but catcher behind Sanchez is a major organizational hole and one he doesn't seem in a big rush to fill. I know it's a lot easier said than done, but still a bit surprising it doesn't seem to be a higher organizational priority. Also I know the Padres taking Torrens years before he was actually ready factors into this, but we need to move on and get some more catching talent into the system somehow.
    Yes, our catching depth in the minors is lacking big time. Thankfully, we have Gary freakin' Sanchez on the big league team. So all we really need is a solid BUC(not Romine!) and we're set. I would like us to build up our catching depth, and I think we will, but it may take some time. Cabello is still out there, and he has been tied to us in the past, so he's a guy to keep an eye out on.

Ex-Brave Livan Soto is going to the Angels too.

$850,000.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hairnovaaa View Post
    Ex-Brave Livan Soto is going to the Angels too.

$850,000.

And he got $1 million initially.

Man, these guys are getting some nice paydays. So, it appears that the Angels are blowing their 2018-2019 money on the ex-Braves prospects this year.

NYYF Legend

Jelfry Marte is an interesting buy low candidate.

Twins voided his 3m deal due to eye issues on the physical. However that could have been more because they wanted extra money for Otani.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Antonio Cabello is one of the IFA top prospects and second best catcher ranked by BA this year. He is still available.

NYYF Legend

Darren Wolfson‏ @DWolfsonKSTP 14h14 hours ago
    #MNTwins have interest in re-signing int'l FA SS Jelfry Marte. They voided his contract after he failed a physical in September. He's expected to choose a team before December ends, maybe much sooner.

NYYF Legend

And I'm sure hes super stoked to sign with the team that just took 3m out of his and his family's mouths. Swooooooop.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Antonio Cabello is one of the IFA top prospects and second best catcher ranked by BA this year. He is still available.
    I would be surprise if the Yankees don't sign him.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

NYYF Legend

Mariners and Angels both have traded significant prospects for pool money in their pursuit of Ohtani.

I hope we are going to make full use of the money and we haven’t missed the boat on a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian View Post
    I hope we are going to make full use of the money
    Cashman said yesterday he plans to spend it all, not sure why people aren't just content to sit back and watch the man work.

Cashman said yesterday he plans to spend it all, not sure why people aren't just content to sit back and watch the man work.
    Agreed, and there are quite a few big fish out there available, including Julio Pablo Martinez, Raimfer Salinas, Antonio Cabello, Yunior Severino, etc. I'm confident that we'll get some nice piece(s) with our remaining international money.

NYYF Legend

Maybe the Yanks are going to trade some of their cash to the Padres, who have a top system and would probably want to have a few more bucks to offer Ohtani (they can only give him $300K right now).

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Maybe the Yanks are going to trade some of their cash to the Padres, who have a top system and would probably want to have a few more bucks to offer Ohtani (they can only give him $300K right now).
    Torrens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    It would be awesome if they had their backs to the wall and the Yankees basically stuck them up for it.

"We'll give you the $3 mil you need. Sure, not a problem.

For Gore."

Thread Information