+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Is anyone psyched for this? Does anyone think it's a good idea?

    http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm.../worldcup/2016

    I'm not going to get too excited because A) I don't want to see players get hurt before the start of the real season and B) Team USA is gonna stink.

    I also don't get how there's teams from USA, Canada, Sweeden, Russia, Czech & Finland, then also Team North America and Team Europe. Who's on those last two teams?

  2. #2

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Team North America is 23 and under. Team Europe is just Europeans whose countries don't have their own team.

  3. #3
    News Breaker hairnovaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Halifax, NS.

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Team North America is stacked. They're going to be sooo fun to watch.

    I don't see how Canada doesn't win it all though.

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    I am pumped up for this tourney. USA USA!
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  5. #5
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    May be in the minority here but I look at this the same as the world baseball classic. I am a Ranger fan and have high hopes for a big season and deep playoff run, and if any of my key players get hurt in a tournament like this which affects the NHL regular season, I will be livid..

    I have no desire for these extra games, especially where the competition is fierce before the players are in mid-season shape.

    Even if people avoid injuries, now is the time to get attending training camp and getting familiar with new players and potentially new systems.

    My personal opinion for these things is that the teams who are playing these players millions of dollars should have the right to pull that money off the table if the player gets hurt playing in something like this.

    I understand playing for your country, but if any one of us in regular jobs decided we wanted to take extended time off from our jobs to go do something else, even if it was patriotic, and in doing so got hurt where we could not do our jobs, we'd lose our jobs....
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    May be in the minority here but I look at this the same as the world baseball classic. I am a Ranger fan and have high hopes for a big season and deep playoff run, and if any of my key players get hurt in a tournament like this which affects the NHL regular season, I will be livid..

    I have no desire for these extra games, especially where the competition is fierce before the players are in mid-season shape.

    Even if people avoid injuries, now is the time to get attending training camp and getting familiar with new players and potentially new systems.

    My personal opinion for these things is that the teams who are playing these players millions of dollars should have the right to pull that money off the table if the player gets hurt playing in something like this.

    I understand playing for your country, but if any one of us in regular jobs decided we wanted to take extended time off from our jobs to go do something else, even if it was patriotic, and in doing so got hurt where we could not do our jobs, we'd lose our jobs....
    Totally agree. As an Islanders fan and seeing my best player lost for the season during the last Olympics I really don't want to see anymore of my players risk injury.

  7. #7
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Don't watch then. I will be enjoying it. Injuries happen in training camp and pre-season games which they players will be excused from.

    I just find it interesting that in international Soccer fans go crazy when their countries best players unite for a nation on nation tourney, even meaningless friendlies. But not Baseball or Hockey.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  8. #8
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Don't watch then. I will be enjoying it. Injuries happen in training camp and pre-season games which they players will be excused from.

    I just find it interesting that in international Soccer fans go crazy when their countries best players unite for a nation on nation tourney, even meaningless friendlies. But not Baseball or Hockey.
    Maybe because a lot of those tournaments have been around for a while and this and the WBC just seem like ways for the league and networks to make money?

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Maybe because a lot of those tournaments have been around for a while and this and the WBC just seem like ways for the league and networks to make money?
    Or maybe they are a way for fans to enjoy a nation on nation tourney. I'm sure the fans in Europe are excited about the WCoH. The networks make money on on the Soccer World Cup right?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Don't watch then. I will be enjoying it. Injuries happen in training camp and pre-season games which they players will be excused from.

    I just find it interesting that in international Soccer fans go crazy when their countries best players unite for a nation on nation tourney, even meaningless friendlies. But not Baseball or Hockey.

    Maybe because Soccer players are not as seriously injured in games as hockey players can be.

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Maybe because Soccer players are not as seriously injured in games as hockey players can be.
    What!? They are dying in agony like they have just been shot in the leg everytime an opponent sneezes on them!
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  12. #12
    NYYF Cy Young

    trentonthunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Windsor, NJ

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Geez Stepan. Hit an open net will ya. Way to miss two easy ones tonight.
    [

  13. #13
    NYYF Cy Young

    trentonthunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Windsor, NJ

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by trentonthunder View Post
    Geez Stepan. Hit an open net will ya. Way to miss two easy ones tonight.

    third time's a charm
    [

  14. #14
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    I can't wait for another installment of the World Cup of Hockey.

    My group stage predictions

    Group A
    1. Canada
    2. United States
    3. Team Europe
    4. Czech Republic

    Group B
    1. Team North America
    2. Sweden
    3. Russia
    4. Finland
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  15. #15
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Group A
    Defending World Cup of Hockey champions Canada trounced the Czech Republic 6-0.

    Pittsburgh Penguins captain pivot Sidney Crosby and Boston Bruin Brad Marchand each had a goal and two assists.

    Montreal Canadien netminder Carey Price had 27 saves.

    It was a very poor performance from 1996 World Cup of Hockey champion the United States as Team Europe outclassed them 3-0.

    Los Angeles King Marian Gaborik, Edmonton Oiler Leon Draisaitl and Philadelphia Flyer Pierre-Edouard Bellemare lit the lamp for Team Europe and New York Islander Jaroslav Halak had a 35-save clean sheet.

    The Americans need to beat the Canadians on Tuesday or else.

    Tomorrow, it will be Russia against Sweden while the North American young guns take on Finland.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Halak looked pretty good in his first real game since March 8th.

  17. #17
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    LOL I knew Team USA would be garbage.

  18. #18
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Halak looked pretty good in his first real game since March 8th.
    That is the only silver lining from USA getting blanked.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

  19. #19
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    So Team USA is pretty bad, but Team North America is awesome! So fast, so fun to watch. I hope they end Russia's tourney tonight.

    In other news, Team USA needs a point against Canada tonight to stay in the tourney. So that's that for us.

  20. #20
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Colorado Avalanche captain forward Gabriel Landeskog and Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman lit the lamp in Sweden's 2-1 win over Russia.

    Vancouver Canucks goalie Jacob Markstrom had 27 saves in the win.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  21. #21
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Team Europe goes to 2-0 in the 2016 World Cup of Hockey tournament after a 3-2 overtime win over the Czech Republic.

    Edmonton Oilers and German forward Leon Draisaitl scored the winner at 2:06 of the first overtime period.

    New York Rangers and Norweigan forward Mats Zuccarello had a goal and assist.

    New York Islanders G Jaroslav Halak had 39 saves and had an assist on Zuccarello's goal 2:17 into the third period.

    Arizona Coyote Martin Hanzal forced overtime with a power-play goal to tie the game at 2-2.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  22. #22
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Good game but I hate 3 on 3 OT

  23. #23
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Team Russia kept their semifinal hopes alive after creating a three-way tie for first in Group B after a 4-3 win against Team North America.

    Toronto Maple Leaf and #1 overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft, Auston Matthews gave Team North America a 1-0 after one period.

    But a four-goal second period barrage gave Russia a 4-1 lead after two periods.

    Tampa Bay Lightning players Vladislav Namestnikov and Nikita Kucherov, Washington Capital Evgeny Kuznetsov and St. Louis Blue Vladimir Tarasenko struck that forced Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Matt Murray to be chased out of his crease and was replaced by Anaheim Duck John Gibson.

    Edmonton Oiler Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had a power-play goal in the third period and assisted on Toronto Maple Leaf blueliner Morgan Rielly's second period to cut Russia's lead to 4-3.

    But Columbus Blue Jackets netminder Sergei Bobrovsky held down the fort long enough with 43 saves.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

  24. #24
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Team USA was flawed from the get go and it was proven very quickly. 3 goals in 2 games and they're out of the tournament. They have a meaningless game tomorrow against also eliminated Czech. That could possibly be the most boring hockey game ever as neither coach wants to be the one who gets a player hurt before the NHL season starts.

  25. #25
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: World Cup of Hockey 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Team USA was flawed from the get go and it was proven very quickly. 3 goals in 2 games and they're out of the tournament. They have a meaningless game tomorrow against also eliminated Czech. That could possibly be the most boring hockey game ever as neither coach wants to be the one who gets a player hurt before the NHL season starts.
    Everything was garbage from Team USA. Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi did a piss poor job of selecting the team and the coaching was brainless.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts