+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: Walking Dead season 7

I wasn't that impressed with the episode. I was disappointed when Abraham got killed, because Glenn was the one who got killed in the comic, and who made the most sense in the show. Abraham seemed like an easy copout to avoid doing it right, so when Glenn got killed, all it did was get things back on track, where they were supposed to be. Glenn's killing was exactly the same as it was in the comic, just about word for word and shot for shot, so there was no great shock for me there.

And then it just dragged on, with Rick looking every bit the wimp he was accused of being. The rest of the show seemed long and slow, with lots of big teary eyes and lots of mournful cello music. I'm sorry, but The Walking Dead shouldn't be an hour of mournful cello. Negan was great, but he was the only sign of life in the show.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

John the purpose of Negan's actions and more importantly Rick's scenes were to undo what has been compounding for six seasons. Rick got to a point where he was in his mind unbeatable. He could maneuver or fight his way out of anything. What you saw was the tearing down of Rick's soul. In order to get that look Negan was hoping for he needed to crush him, completely. . He could have left it where it was but he knew that Rick still had thoughts of revenge when the situation was over. Now, as far as I can tell he is crushed and for the time being will concede all his leadership and power over his group, which will most likely fall in line for the most part. I was impressed by not only the way Negan went about it but how they showed him breaking down step by step for us. How it played out was as good as it could have been. I felt having Abraham get killed first to give the audience what they thought was the answer was perfect to set up the next death which affected the audience as much as it would the group. People had their guesses, everyone did. And we were all right in some way for the most part. However I highly doubt until that scene as it started to build that anyone anticipated two major characters were going to get that beat down. It was absolutely brutal, devastating and very powerful. Rick got knocked down from an extremely strong and over confident leader to a beaten down dog willing to do anything to save his people from any more bloodshed. After six seasons of building such a powerful ascent be undone in one episode is a tough thing to do and they succeeded. Mucho respect for it. They lifted the plot armor for the time being.

On a side note and equally interesting turn of events, Maggie has watched every person she's ever loved die a horrible death. I know how this plays out in the comics like you do but she's about to have a major character development based off of this I believe.

All in all I give this episode four stars. Definitely one of the strongest and more powerful of the series. Absolutely brutal and I loved it. I have zero complaints about any of it. I can't say enough about the casting of Negan. It is spot fvcking on.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I wasn't that impressed with the episode. I was disappointed when Abraham got killed, because Glenn was the one who got killed in the comic, and who made the most sense in the show. Abraham seemed like an easy copout to avoid doing it right, so when Glenn got killed, all it did was get things back on track, where they were supposed to be. Glenn's killing was exactly the same as it was in the comic, just about word for word and shot for shot, so there was no great shock for me there.

And then it just dragged on, with Rick looking every bit the wimp he was accused of being. The rest of the show seemed long and slow, with lots of big teary eyes and lots of mournful cello music. I'm sorry, but The Walking Dead shouldn't be an hour of mournful cello. Negan was great, but he was the only sign of life in the show.
    I didn't care about killing Abraham first or whether or not the followed the comic but I agree completely that it just dragged on with nothing really happening for way too long. "An hour of mournful cello" is the perfect description. Other than reveal who was killed, they didn't accomplish much in regards to the actually storytelling.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I didn't care about killing Abraham first or whether or not the followed the comic but I agree completely that it just dragged on with nothing really happening for way too long. "An hour of mournful cello" is the perfect description. Other than reveal who was killed, they didn't accomplish much in regards to the actually storytelling.
    Agreed, and this episode didn't have the emotional weight that I've felt when lesser characters were killed off - Maggie's sister, Cutty from The Wire, even the kid Noah.

In fact, I think Maggie's sister's death may have been the saddest moment of the series for me, and I can't even remember her name.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

All in all I give this episode four stars.
    I can't properly analyze this until I know the max scale - 5, 10 or 100?
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I still haven't gotten through the episode. I know who got killed but it's just so dreary and depressing. I think I may be done with this show.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I assumed it was a given that four stars was on a scale of four lol

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Like when Reggie Jackson was bragging about having an IQ of 160, and Mickey Rivers asked, "Out of what, a thousand?"
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Hate watchers. Pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Agreed, and this episode didn't have the emotional weight that I've felt when lesser characters were killed off - Maggie's sister, Cutty from The Wire, even the kid Noah.

In fact, I think Maggie's sister's death may have been the saddest moment of the series for me, and I can't even remember her name.
    Her name is Beth.

Her name is Beth.
    Was..
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Was..
    Shes still in our hearts. And my spank bank. Her name is Beth.

Shes still in our hearts. And my spank bank. Her name is Beth.
    Eww. She's dead.

The good news is that we've still got Rosita. They'll probably kill her off, and soon - I'm surprised she's lasted this long - but for now, she can feed my post-apocalyptic fantasies.
    - Barry Manilow

Rosita is gorgeous and I'm a big fan of hers also.

Emily Kinney is still alive!

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post

I cheered when Beth died. 😂 Emily Kinney is a terrible actress. I did tear up at Maggie's reaction though but I'm glad Beth is gone.

And I disagree, I'm still reeling over these deaths. I adored Glenn.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    I cheered when Beth died. 😂 Emily Kinney is a terrible actress. I did tear up at Maggie's reaction though but I'm glad Beth is gone.

wow I'm stunned that you have such hate for Beth! I can see being apathetic about her character but to be that thrilled about her death is weird

The Kingdom is amazing. Shiva is so awesome! So happy they were able to get the tiger in the show. Up until I saw the trailer a few months ago I had wondered if that was a storyline they'd be able to do. Bravo!! Ezekiel seems well cast so far.

I hope Carol gets over her sh1t soon. She's kinda dragging the story a bit with her self loathing. I get it, she's processing her choices and she's got enough credit from me due to all her badassery, I just hope his doesn't go on for long.

Love the idea that they're feeding the pigs walkers to give to Negan's crew.

Tough to really rate this episode after the emotional wreck that was the premier. Nothing could really follow that up anyway.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Last week was 5 out of 5 stars. This week a 1. Maybe a 1/2. Boring. Dragged on. And that tiger is the worst CGI since the Scorpion King. If you can't do animals, bring in the team from Life of Pi.

I agree with the self-loathing. And her acting was so bad this week. Maybe because we've seen this routine with the character before, but it seemed so phony, Ezekiel should have sicced Shiva on her in the throne room.
    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's
    2016 NYYFans.com Fantasy Baseball League Champjons

I think it was impossible to follow up the premier. There's a story being set up for sure.

I liked last night's episode quite a bit.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I think I liked it better than last week's, if only because there was still something to watch after the first ten minutes. But having to listen to the worst-ever rendition of "Don't Think Twice" really didn't help.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post

beth's dead was pointless and poorly executed (excuse the pun).
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    yeah, it was fine.

the biggest issue with both of these first two episodes has been pacing. neither required a full episode to tell their story. way too drawn out.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    beth's dead was pointless and poorly executed (excuse the pun).
    They didn't even use the Kiss song.

Talk about a wasted opportunity.

I thought this was easily the best episode of the season so far. It made me realize how much dithering around they did in the first two episodes.
    - Barry Manilow

I cannot understate how awesome Negan has transformed from comic to screen. He is absolutely brilliant. He needs to drop an f bomb eventually though. It's signature.

Thread Information