+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Cardinals Scouting Director Sentenced To 46 Months For Hacking Astros Database

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-...194500165.html

Former St. Louis Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa must serve 46 months in prison for hacking into the Houston Astrosí computer system to access the teamís player data and scouting notes.
    Correa pled guilty to hacking the Astrosí network in January and was sentenced on Monday, receiving the exact term suggested by the prosecution.
    And there will probably be more to come.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Re: Cardinals Scouting Director Sentenced To 46 Months For Hacking Astros Database

Wow. So he pleaded DOWN to 46 months? What did he hack, Jim Crane's pacemaker?

Re: Cardinals Scouting Director Sentenced To 46 Months For Hacking Astros Database

Wow, that seems almost excessive for the crime. Did he clean out their bank account while he was at it?

it's probably from a damages calculation based on value of the data he jacked. value of baseball prospects is high and so on. it's kind of silly but there it is
    always reasonable

NYYF Triple Crown

It's definitely excessive but if you put the word hacking into any crime you will definitely get a harsher sentence than most violent crimes. It's f****d up that he gets 4 years while if he raped somebody he only gets 6 months. Both things are absolutely wrong by the way, but only in America.

Hacking to me is someone who takes the time to write a code to break into someone's system. It said he stole a password, it's more like he illegally snooped. But there you go, you can just as easily call it "hacking."
    Last edited by Vin; 07-23-16 at 08:12 AM.

yea the sentencing guidelines are absurd. the aaron swartz case was from the same law
    always reasonable

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

the justice system is screwed up.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    It's definitely excessive but if you put the word hacking into any crime you will definitely get a harsher sentence than most violent crimes. It's f****d up that he gets 4 years while if he raped somebody he only gets 6 months. Both things are absolutely wrong by the way, but only in America.

Hacking to me is someone who takes the time to write a code to break into someone's system. It said he stole a password, it's more like he illegally snooped. But there you go, you can just as easily call it "hacking."
    Hacking is defined as gaining unauthorized access to a system or network of computers.

The better the hacker, the more complicated system to which they're capable of gaining unauthorized access.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    it's probably from a damages calculation based on value of the data he jacked. value of baseball prospects is high and so on. it's kind of silly but there it is
    He got off light, frankly for the very reason you stated.

Not sure why it took so long, but mlb issued its penalties today:

Cards give their 2 highest picks (2nd and 3rd round, because they had already surrendered their 1st to sign Dexter Fowler) in this year's draft to Houston.

Cards pay $2MM to Houston.

Correa is placed on the permanently ineligible list.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/we...ties-from-mlb/

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Not sure why it took so long, but mlb issued its penalties today:

Cards give their 2 highest picks (2nd and 3rd round, because they had already surrendered their 1st to sign Dexter Fowler) in this year's draft to Houston.

Cards pay $2MM to Houston.

Correa is placed on the permanently ineligible list.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/we...ties-from-mlb/
    While I understand penalizing the Cardinals with the loss of draft picks, I really have to question MLB awarding these draft picks to Houston - were their drafts that impacted by this breach of security that one needs to give them to of the first 100 draft picks?

If I were any team other than the Cardinals and the Astros, I would be pissed right now.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    While I understand penalizing the Cardinals with the loss of draft picks, I really have to question MLB awarding these draft picks to Houston - were their drafts that impacted by this breach of security that one needs to give them to of the first 100 draft picks?

If I were any team other than the Cardinals and the Astros, I would be pissed right now.
    I agree with this and was thinking the same thing. I think STL should lose two picks, but Houston gaining those two picks? That's potentially massive.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I agree with this and was thinking the same thing. I think STL should lose two picks, but Houston gaining those two picks? That's potentially massive.
    I would like the Tampa Bay Rays to hack the Yankees database as soon as possible, please.

Thread Information